Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:50 AM   #1
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast
Default Deadlift critique

I was surprised by how hard this set was. The. 3rd rep was pretty awful- certainly not how I want to pull. Care to give me any advice on set up, weak points, etc.? 515x3

http://youtu.be/sqHv7i2isjQ
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Honestly, they looked good to me! Deadlifting is just hard, haha. Any time I get over 450 on the bar it just feels heavy. You could use a bit more speed IMO. Do you do any CAT for your deads? That type of training really helped with mine.

Where did you feel like your technique was off during the set?

Edit: Gave it a second look and on the 3rd rep it looked like your weight shifted forward onto your toes and the bar started to drift, but you had the strength to muscle through it. Just lean back onto your heels and pull the bar into you by flexing your lats hard. The first two looked good though.

Last edited by afraziaaaa; 04-12-2014 at 08:24 AM.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
Kleurplaay
Max Brawn
Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

Honestly that looked pretty good to me. As a rule of thumb on conventional deadlifts: If your lockout is smooth it was probably a good rep. Once your lower back starts to round and you lose overall back tightness is when the excruciatingly slow lockouts happen. Didn't see any of that at all.

Solid man.

'It's all them fat powerlifting molecules and no muscle' -Steve Shaw

Last edited by Kleurplaay; 04-12-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Kleurplaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

Well shoot, I guess I'm looking for that "one weird trick" that will give me a 600 lb deadlift by tomorrow...

My biggest issue was with reps 1 and 2. I usually seem to have better speed. That first rep, I honestly was thinking I may not have two in me that day because it was unusually slow. Rep 3, I just can't help but wonder if a 4th was possible had I kept stronger form during the set.

What is CAT training? Which, now that I think about it, it has been a long time since I worked on speed outside of warm ups. 135 is so fast and strong that it has practically become a high pull without even doing the shrugging motion...but that's 135.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
Well shoot, I guess I'm looking for that "one weird trick" that will give me a 600 lb deadlift by tomorrow...

My biggest issue was with reps 1 and 2. I usually seem to have better speed. That first rep, I honestly was thinking I may not have two in me that day because it was unusually slow. Rep 3, I just can't help but wonder if a 4th was possible had I kept stronger form during the set.

What is CAT training? Which, now that I think about it, it has been a long time since I worked on speed outside of warm ups. 135 is so fast and strong that it has practically become a high pull without even doing the shrugging motion...but that's 135.
Compensatory Acceleration Training. Basically take 50% of your max and pull it as quickly and explosively as possible. 6-10 singles every other week has done nicely for me.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
Kleurplaay
Max Brawn
Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
Compensatory Acceleration Training. Basically take 50% of your max and pull it as quickly and explosively as possible. 6-10 singles every other week has done nicely for me.
I don't personally do it, but the guys I train with that do use a form of speed work usually work at higher percentages. Usually doubles/triples @ 60-70%. Speed work originated in the geared lifting scene, where every rep is a 'speed rep' basically (since the more you approach lockout, the less you get out of your suit). So that's why we use higher percentages, no one here lifts in a suit. Either way it's a great way to get in some extra volume and work on technique more.

Just my two cents.

'It's all them fat powerlifting molecules and no muscle' -Steve Shaw
Kleurplaay is offline   Reply With Quote