Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Is the leg press a waste of time ? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16767)

Geelong26 04-03-2014 10:56 AM

Is the leg press a waste of time ?

can the leg press be useful to build real world strength or to help increase your squat max ?

thanks

bruteforce 04-03-2014 10:58 AM

Yes. It can add mass to your legs. A bigger muscle can be a stronger muscle.

Soldier 04-03-2014 11:04 AM

It's absolutely useful. Although I don't just use it for size. I think it's also very useful for conditioning the lower body. You can really push yourself to and even past failure with the leg press, which is NOT a good idea with the squat, for a number of reasons. When it comes to taking your quads right to the edge the leg press is king.

TDawg75 04-03-2014 12:07 PM

I use it as an accessory lift to help increase my squat and feel as though it has helped in that as well as adding some mass. This is purely anecdotal, though. Ymmv.

Geelong26 04-03-2014 12:18 PM

I have been doing a ton of research on ways to increase your squat because I can only keep on squatting 3 times per week for so long , is it true that weak quads rarely hold people back and that your best of avoiding assistant exercises that target your quads ?

J_Byrd 04-03-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geelong26 (Post 469637)
I have been doing a ton of research on ways to increase your squat because I can only keep on squatting 3 times per week for so long , is it true that weak quads rarely hold people back and that your best of avoiding assistant exercises that target your quads ?

What? News to me!

I only squat one time a week, that is all I have ever needed.

Leg press can be great for building a better squat. I have done it lots of ways. I have preexausted on the leg press first, and I have used it after the squat. I use it to focus on the quad, force tons of blood into it.

bamazav 04-03-2014 02:30 PM

Quote:

Can you show us the research you found? Working my quads actually makes my quads weaker? I gotta hear about this. If true, does this theory hold for other muscle groups also? I will have to totally rethink my training plan.

BendtheBar 04-03-2014 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geelong26 (Post 469617)
can the leg press be useful to build real world strength or to help increase your squat max ?

thanks

Weakness is never good. Quad size and strength is always good.

Do both, but squat first.

BendtheBar 04-03-2014 02:38 PM

Quote:

that your best of avoiding assistant exercises that target your quads ?

No.

Build a big and strong base from head to toe. That is the prime directive.

WilldBill88 04-03-2014 02:40 PM

I would say the leg press is a good accessory movement after squats. Usually, its the low back, abs and hamstrings that are generally the weak links to your squat. But, what good lifter doesnt have massive quads?

P.S. I agree with Steve, dont really worry about your "weakness" just get stronger all over.