Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #11
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

I was picked on for leg pressing, so I stopped and just squat and hack squats. I wont mention any names........

JB....Dick

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #12
Kleurplaay
Max Brawn
Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

I personally know very few people who've had problems building wheels with just squats, to the point where it's very usual for people's squat to be limited by how much weight they can stay upright with and not how much force they can generate with their legs.

I religiously believe that the squat and deadlift are basically an expression of your lower body strength, and a huge part of strength is muscle mass. Build a big squat and deadlift and you're bound to get big legs and a booty that the ladies will envy.

This doesn't mean that I think it's impossible to get big legs without squats and deadlifts, but I do think that not doing those 2 lifts will take away from your progress.

'It's all them fat powerlifting molecules and no muscle' -Steve Shaw
Kleurplaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #13
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
I was picked on for leg pressing, so I stopped and just squat and hack squats. I wont mention any names........

JB....Dick
Lets be clear...I did that because you leg pressed and DIDNT SQUAT! Also because you counted the weight on the leg press....never do that!

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #14
Bill
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

Yes
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #15
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
Lets be clear...I did that because you leg pressed and DIDNT SQUAT! Also because you counted the weight on the leg press....never do that!
Well I stick to squats (which Im doing better at now then I ever have before) and Hack Squats, thank you JB, youve shown me the way...lol

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.

Last edited by gaspers04; 04-03-2014 at 07:14 PM.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:39 PM   #16
Geelong26
Brawn
Points: 806, Level: 15 Points: 806, Level: 15 Points: 806, Level: 15
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Geelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilldBill88 View Post
I would say the leg press is a good accessory movement after squats. Usually, its the low back, abs and hamstrings that are generally the weak links to your squat. But, what good lifter doesnt have massive quads?

P.S. I agree with Steve, dont really worry about your "weakness" just get stronger all over.
that's my understanding as well as the glutes , does this mean that crunches would be a good assistant squat exercise ?
Geelong26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #17
TomGJD
Max Brawn
Points: 4,721, Level: 43 Points: 4,721, Level: 43 Points: 4,721, Level: 43
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Supp: Creatine
TomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beast

I would say yes. I don't leg press, I consider it wasted energy. Best way to improve the squat is more squatting in my opinion. I just don't see the point. I get some people want to burn out their legs with more stuff after their core fatigues and they can't keep squatting but in that case I would just lower the weight and do paused squats, or light front squats or squats off the bottom from the rack.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:23 AM   #18
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geelong26 View Post
that's my understanding as well as the glutes , does this mean that crunches would be a good assistant squat exercise ?
No. Abs or core training is not as simple as flexing your six pack and I don't mean that to be a sound bite answer.

A strong squat comes from a strong midsection, sure. But that is built better by doing deadlifts, planks or leg raises for example. Your core muscles are a lot more complex than that though. You can have massively strong abs and a very weak core, in fact that's almost guaranteed. Your stomach muscles are only one quarter of your "core" muscles.

Your core is designed to stabilize your spine and transfer strength up your torso no matter your position. So imagine yourself as a pole. Your core has to stabilize your spine when leaning forward, backward, sideways and every other angle.

Stand upright and then lean forward, backward, sideways, etc. The muscles that fire when you do that are the ones you need to strengthen to squat and deadlift better.

The core exercises that hurt the most are the best ones for you, btw.

Leg press is definitely not a waste of time, but a natural motion made by your body in space is a lot more beneficial than one made by contorting yourself into a machine created by someone who thinks he knows how your bod should work and who wants to make a buck on that machine by the way.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96

Last edited by MikeM; 04-05-2014 at 02:31 AM.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:43 AM   #19
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

So how much ROM on leg press? Go to low and you have your pelvis fighting your lower back for control putting your lumbar in flexion with a ton of weight. Too little, and well you're missing out. I guess I can answer my own question and say stop short of pelvis moving and lumbar flexion.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #20
JumpmanRugs
Max Brawn
Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squat / Deadlift
Fav Supp: Motivation
JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor

IT has it it's place IMO. It depends on your goal. Are you just trying to be massive or are you trying to be strong? Do you want to look good or perform in athletic way?

It depends, as I said. I prefer the squat (I used to prefer the leg press, but that's only cause it was all I had) because it covers than just building muscle, it's a builder of the mind also.

Both are good, squat is great. No harm in doing both
JumpmanRugs is offline   Reply With Quote