Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
Cutty
Max Brawn
Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member
Default The Belt and the Deadlift

Was just browsing facebook to see what people were posting about for ideas for articles and this came across my newsfeed.

Let me know what you think...

http://www.t-nation.com/training/the...d-the-deadlift

Quote:
Here's what you need to know...

•  A 4-inch-wide belt is too wide to permit a correct lumbar position at the start of a deadlift. And if you can't get set correctly, you can't pull correctly.

•  The lifting belt isn't a passive device that works all by itself. One of the ways the belt works is by allowing you to produce a harder muscular contraction against it than you can without it.

•  The combination of the harder isometric trunk muscle contraction made possible by the belt, and the fact that the heavier weight you're lifting provides more training stimulus than the lighter weight you'd be lifting otherwise, means that using the belt allows you to get stronger.

•  The correct use of the belt involves learning how tight it needs to be to work. Too tight, and you're stretched up too far to make an effective isometric contraction. Too loose, and there's nothing to push against.

•  Stop thinking of your squat belt as "The Belt" and start thinking of the deadlift as different movement that probably needs a different belt, a thick one but only 2-3 inches wide.

Link to log

Max Gym Lifts: 495/300/605
Last Meet Lifts: 435/303/512

Passion without discipline is just a dream. - Steve Shaw

Sometimes you make your own pull by pushing forward. - Steve Shaw

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-31-2014 at 03:34 PM. Reason: edited in information to save carpal tunnel
Cutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
A 4-inch-wide belt is too wide to permit a correct lumbar position at the start of a deadlift. And if you can't get set correctly, you can't pull correctly.
I'm doing it wrong.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
linedriver465
Max Brawn
Points: 5,829, Level: 49 Points: 5,829, Level: 49 Points: 5,829, Level: 49
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Volume
Fav Supp: Caffeine
linedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beast

I would imagine the belt recommendation would also be based on torso length and width? Surely proportions come in to play as everyone's lower back and belt might fit and land differently on the body.

Tbh I never use belts, but I'm not about to pick up two haha.

"Like" my Facebook author page for future article updates

Follow my lifting log!

"Life is too short to dick around" - Steve Shaw
linedriver465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

That's just silly, for a number of reasons.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Shoot. I just purchased a new 4" belt. Two days and it is already obsolete, that is faster than my last computer.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Sounds like we should be seeing this in a peer reviewed exercise science journal soon.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
Sounds like we should be seeing this in a peer reviewed exercise science journal soon.
If it's not peer reviewed then it's just bro science. Bro.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

all good except the absolute statement that 4" is wrong... just say too tall a belt is not optimal....
Old 04-01-2014, 03:48 AM   #9
Ramrod
Max Brawn
Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 12
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

Quote:
You may decide to deal with the issue by moving the belt up your waist, and if you're cheap or just broke, that's okay too.
This is something many knew and have already been doing for years... Switching to a 3in belt and leaving it down doesn't change anything from wearing a 4in belt and moving it up. Just losing belt coverage for you to push against.

Quote:
This contact between belt and upper thigh provides incorrect proprioceptive information about the degree to which you have extended your back. The belt is telling your back that it's fully extended when it's not, and this can cause you to pull from a position of incomplete lumbar extension. An inadequately-set low back isn't strong for a heavy pull, and is a good way to tweak your back too. I see many contest deadlifts pulled with incomplete lumbar extension using a 4-inch belt.
I see many deadlifts pulled with incomplete lumber extensions with and without belts....

Quote:
Some people have already figured this out. Konstantinovs pulls with his belt set in a much higher position, well off the hips.Lilliebridge too, and other examples show that this problem is being addressed, although perhaps not the best way. If the belt is to provide pressure in the abdominal cavity, it must be positioned across the lumbar, under the floating ribs, so that the center of the belt is across the center of the abdominal cavity. This creates the best pressure distribution for support of the lumbar spine.

Konstantinovs can wear his belt any way he wants to – I'd never presume to tell any experienced competitor how to wear a belt
A 3in belt from a 4in belt is only 1/2in on top and bottom difference. Again moving the belt up 1/2in still provides this so called thigh to Ab contact clearance and more support...

I like some of Rippetoe articles, but I hate how he over complicates things. He targets young and new lifters. Then uses big words and combines them into sentences to make the newbies think he knows what he is talking about.

transversalis
convex outward
hydrostatic/hydraulic
Valsalva in the thoracic cavity
sycophantic shrieks of agreement
ASISs (your Anterior Superior Iliac Spines – your "hip pointers")
Proprioception

Last edited by Ramrod; 04-01-2014 at 03:59 AM.
Ramrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:22 AM   #10
Thorney
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,410, Level: 21 Points: 1,410, Level: 21 Points: 1,410, Level: 21

Training Exp: 21 months
Fav Exercise: deadlifts
Fav Supp: steak
Thorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributor

I deadlift with a 4" belt and that article bored the shit out of me.
Thorney is online now   Reply With Quote