Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   overhead press leg drive ? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16706)

Geelong26 03-26-2014 06:28 AM

overhead press leg drive ?

When overhead pressing is it ok to use your lower body to help lift the bar or is that cheating ?

also I am currently making good progress on the squat, deadlift, bench, press and power clean and I always feel fine after so does this mean that my form must be reasonably good ?

thanks for any feedback

Dray 03-26-2014 06:34 AM

Pretty sure that's a push press you're talking about. Which is also a valid lift, but quite different.

The strict press (aka "press") doesn't have any leg drive going on. Some might disagree maybe (?), but as far as I know, that's how it is.

BobbyMac 03-26-2014 07:56 AM

I personally make a point to not use my legs when doing this lift. I feel like using your legs on this technique is adding an element that can't be controlled and monitored (in other words, the force from your legs might vary from rep to rep, set to set). Therefore, it's tough to accurately monitor your gains.

Soldier 03-26-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geelong26 (Post 467279)
When overhead pressing is it ok to use your lower body to help lift the bar or is that cheating ?

also I am currently making good progress on the squat, deadlift, bench, press and power clean and I always feel fine after so does this mean that my form must be reasonably good ?

thanks for any feedback

When I do overhead press I don't actually set the bar on my shoulders or chest at all. I hold it just in front of my chin, so if I push with my legs it wouldn't really help. I don't use leg drive when I do OHPs, but the push press is also a great shoulder movement. Sometimes after my OHP work I'll do either some heavy push presses or keep the weight I was using for OHPs and do some high rep push presses as a finisher.

As far as feeling fine after lifting, it depends on how much you're lifting. If you're not moving very much weight then you may feel like everything is fine when actually your form is complete shit. Even if the weight is heavy and you feel fine you may be one lift away from injuring yourself if your form is off.

I don't mean to freak you out, but it's true. As you keep progressing the best thing to do is to become a student of each lift and keep learning about form. We'll also be happy to take a look at some vids and make sure you're on the right path.

Tannhauser 03-26-2014 11:52 AM

As Soldier says, push press is a great shoulder movement in its own right. And it's a solid triceps movement, too.

Using push press can build some variety into your pressing routine, and there's a nice synergy between the two movements.

jdmalm123 03-26-2014 09:49 PM

legs should be firm and pushing into the ground for a strict press, but no knee bend.

knee bend (some momentum) is push press, as noted.

Davis 04-01-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmalm123 (Post 467515)
legs should be firm and pushing into the ground for a strict press, but no knee bend.

knee bend (some momentum) is push press, as noted.

This. If you can keep your lower body tight, you can add some weight or reps to your press pretty easily.

As for true leg drive, it's a push press, as others have already said. I enjoy push presses a good bit, and they have certainly helped my strict press.