Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
Narek
New Brawn
Points: 411, Level: 8 Points: 411, Level: 8 Points: 411, Level: 8
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Narek is off to a good startNarek is off to a good startNarek is off to a good startNarek is off to a good startNarek is off to a good start
Default help me learn rounded uppers back deadlifts

Hi to all, some powerlifters deadlift with a rounded upper back. I know they do it intentionally. I've tried it and I feel stronger out of the bottom. But as soon as the weight gets heavier I go back to my old form (which is sucky). I want to know what cues do you use or any advice you could give me to learn this.
(I want to learn this mainly because when I arch my whole back my arms tend to go down and when the weight gets really heavy my lower back rounds instead of my upper back (My upper back remains neutral) and sometimes my right scapula wings).
The weeks that I practice rounded upper back deadlifts none of the previously happened actually they felt easier. But I still need help.
Narek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #2
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

In my humble opinion (yes, I mean that ), it seems the best way forward for a lot of people (that's right, therefore not all) is to keep your back as straight as possible, rather than particularly arched or rounded any which way.

Unless you're an advanced lifter, in which case, I'm sure you'll know what the best way for you is anyway.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

If the weight gets heavy, and your lower back is rounding, you need to learn how to deadlift first. You admit you go back to your "old form" that you describe as "sucky". How long have you been deadlifting?

Rounding your upper back won't fix your lower back rounding. You need to use less weight, get a stronger back, stronger abs, and stronger hamstrings.

My upper back rounds a little bit, and I don't force it. Regardless, I can help you with some cues I use:

1. Knees out...just the smallest bit.
2. Pull the slack out.
3. Hips back and down.
4. Pull the weight BACK

#4 is the most important. Focus on pulling the weight back to you, and not up.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
Narek
New Brawn
Points: 411, Level: 8 Points: 411, Level: 8 Points: 411, Level: 8

Narek is off to a good startNarek is off to a good startNarek is off to a good startNarek is off to a good startNarek is off to a good start

I've been deadlifting for 2.5 years. And my back is fine until 175kg 6 reps, but after that (I did 180 for 5 reps today) even though my back doesn't hurt I dont like how my form looks. I'll upload a video next week so you can see it clearly.
Narek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:15 AM   #5
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I think you're overthinking it. Sorry, I know that wasn't what you were looking for. Before we give advice on making any changes, we need to know where you are now, which means we really need a video, and information about you. But you just need to deadlift. Keep deadlifting, add in some SLDLs and Good mornings, and strengthen your core with planks and weighted ab movements. You'll be fine, and you'll learn a lot about what works for you.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narek View Post
I've been deadlifting for 2.5 years. And my back is fine until 175kg 6 reps, but after that (I did 180 for 5 reps today) even though my back doesn't hurt I dont like how my form looks. I'll upload a video next week so you can see it clearly.
A video for the guys to see, will be great.

I'm not sure what post count you need to post a link but if you post it and it doesn't link either someone will link it for you or Steve will bump your post count so people will be able to see the vid.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I just try to get my head and shoulders as high as possible before I pull. This naturally rounds my shoulders some.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #8
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Tight lower back, lead with your head, stand up instead of lifting it. Don't yank on the bar, but pull with authority.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
Ironsmasher
New Brawn
Points: 261, Level: 5 Points: 261, Level: 5 Points: 261, Level: 5
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: skwat
Fav Supp: recycled urine
Ironsmasher is off to a good startIronsmasher is off to a good startIronsmasher is off to a good startIronsmasher is off to a good startIronsmasher is off to a good start

I think the best cue for you is to pull your shoulders down into your lats. I've seen a lot of guys try to use the rounded upper back technique and a lot of the time there shoulder are high and forward. Dont worry about pulling your shoulder back so much as pulling them down. This will keep your arms long which will in turn activate your lats which make the lockout much easier. Also I'm sure most of the guys you see doing this technique are advanced and they have the muscle and training maturity to handle that technique
Ironsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote