Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:58 PM   #11
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM811 View Post
Box squats. Back off the weight and get your form down over a few weeks, then slowly start adding weight. Make sure your stance is a little wider than shoulder width. Glute-ham raises and good mornings should also help.
As new as he is, all he needs is to keep lifting consistently.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #12
JTM811
Brawn
Points: 592, Level: 11 Points: 592, Level: 11 Points: 592, Level: 11
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: Off and on 15 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts or Squats
JTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
As new as he is, all he needs is to keep lifting consistently.
That also helps immensely .
JTM811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #13
JTM811
Brawn

JTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
I'm a retired IL police officer, so I was just wondering..what is "Illinois agility run"? Also, in IL candidates your age have to benchpress 95% of their bodyweight. I would recommend getting as strong as possible. We had people "in house" to teach MMA tactics but remember when it comes down to it, it's just putting forth an ass whoppin' that wins. Every time you are involved in a physical confrontation there is at least one weapon involved(yours). Many officers are shot with their own weapon. Good luck.
How long were you on before retirement? Hope the retirement is going good for you, I still have some time to go(38 y/o currently).

The in house DT instructors are nice, but if you're talking devoted departmental training hours they are so few and far between in my experience at my agency and most every other one I know of. Maybe a couple 2-4 hours sessions per year. This was part of the reason I gave up my DT Instructor certification, because of wanting to add to our limited training time and having new fangled ideas of getting people more interested and eager to participate.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #14
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

JTM, I was on the department for about 25.5 years. Enough for me. When I came on, we didn't have any electronic gadgets to get people to comply. You asked them, then told them, then made them. Physical confrontations were the norm back then.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:55 AM   #15
Geelong26
Brawn
Points: 806, Level: 15 Points: 806, Level: 15 Points: 806, Level: 15
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Geelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality posts

I had to take 10 kg off my squat today because I wasn't going deep enough so hopefully I progress well from this point. I can currently bench more than I can squat how strange is that ?
Geelong26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:34 AM   #16
Ramrod
Max Brawn
Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 12
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

I've been a LEO for almost 15yrs. My first 5-6yrs there was a lot of physical confrontations, but I was in my early 20's. I'm now a Correctional Officer and I am always out numbered by a min. of 50-100 to 1... The last 9yrs or so. I've learned that just the way you speak and carry yourself, can make your job a lot easier. At the end of the day. You are the one who has to go home.

The biggest part is just trusting your training.. Be confident, don't hesitant or 2nd guess yourself.
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:15 AM   #17
Geelong26
Brawn

Geelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality posts

QUOTE=Ryano;465487]I'm a retired IL police officer, so I was just wondering..what is "Illinois agility run"? Also, in IL candidates your age have to benchpress 95% of their bodyweight. I would recommend getting as strong as possible. We had people "in house" to teach MMA tactics but remember when it comes down to it, it's just putting forth an ass whoppin' that wins. Every time you are involved in a physical confrontation there is at least one weapon involved(yours). Many officers are shot with their own weapon. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Click image for larger version

Name:	agileCourse[1].jpg
Views:	0
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	13620

you basically have to run through a few cones within 20 seconds, the power clean should help with this
Old 03-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #18
JTM811
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
JTM, I was on the department for about 25.5 years. Enough for me. When I came on, we didn't have any electronic gadgets to get people to comply. You asked them, then told them, then made them. Physical confrontations were the norm back then.
I'm not a big fan of tazers, or the over-reliance officers have gone to utilizing them instead of going hands on. I was certified, but didn't carry it on my duty belt when I came back to the street and kept it in my bag in the car. Apparently a Captain didn't like that and basically said that I had to wear it, I said no and said they could keep the thing and handed it back since its not required to have one.

Didn't understand the argument of having to wear it, I had one if I needed it going into a call plus 90% of the other officers carried a tazer, but didn't want it on my belt due to comfort etc for being big and tall in a small car for 10 hour days. I told the Capt it was like my patrol rifle, shotgun, or riot gear they were there when I needed them to take with, but by no means did I need to carry them every time I got out of the car. Oh well....
Old 03-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #19
JTM811
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
I've been a LEO for almost 15yrs. My first 5-6yrs there was a lot of physical confrontations, but I was in my early 20's. I'm now a Correctional Officer and I am always out numbered by a min. of 50-100 to 1... The last 9yrs or so. I've learned that just the way you speak and carry yourself, can make your job a lot easier. At the end of the day. You are the one who has to go home.

The biggest part is just trusting your training.. Be confident, don't hesitant or 2nd guess yourself.
Absolutely 100% correct Ramrod! Knowing how to verbally defuse a situation without it becoming physical is the way to go. More often than not it'll save you from getting hurt(most important) and the suspect also(who could claim police brutality and that can of worms). Be firm and fair with a commanding presence, but not arrogant, cocky, or unapproachable, be human and not an automaton.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #20
Geelong26
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM811 View Post
I'm not a big fan of tazers, or the over-reliance officers have gone to utilizing them instead of going hands on. I was certified, but didn't carry it on my duty belt when I came back to the street and kept it in my bag in the car. Apparently a Captain didn't like that and basically said that I had to wear it, I said no and said they could keep the thing and handed it back since its not required to have one.

Didn't understand the argument of having to wear it, I had one if I needed it going into a call plus 90% of the other officers carried a tazer, but didn't want it on my belt due to comfort etc for being big and tall in a small car for 10 hour days. I told the Capt it was like my patrol rifle, shotgun, or riot gear they were there when I needed them to take with, but by no means did I need to carry them every time I got out of the car. Oh well....
They actually only started using Tasers in the Victoria police 2 years ago and currently only used in a few regions were weapons are used against police. I personally would like to have a Taser with me because I see it as an additional option to resolve a serious incident. But obviously they cant be overused.