Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!
Default XPC Finals at the Arnold

I cant lie, I am disapointed in my performance. The key is that I can not dwell on it. I have to find my mistakes, fix those, and move on. As any of you who have followed my log know, I had a great training cycle. Only missed one lift the entire cycle, and confidence was riding high.

I got into Columbus on Thursday before the meet about noon. We first headed over to where the meet. I was about 308 on the scale there, so no real panic. I had a light lunch and rode over to Elitefts with the rest of Team Samson. Got a chance to sit and talk with Dave Tate for a little. We then headed back to the hotel, and I took a small nap.

For dinner we all got together at a local Longhorn. All of team sampson, our significant others, Bob Youngs, and maybe a few others (I cant remember at this point. I had a chicken breast, brocollii, and a small salad. I wasnt too worried about my weight. I came back to the hotel and joined Clint Smith at the hot tub because he had a few pounds to cut. I am damn glad I did, because without it I might not have made weight!

I could not sleep at all Thursday night, and got up early to go weigh in. I was 308 even! Just where I needed to be! We left the weigh ins and returned to hotel to eat a massive breakfast. I put away several glasses of water and appple juice, plus all the food I could stand.

I rested a little and headed back to the Arnold to watch my teammate lift. He was called for depth on his squat twice. I called the depth on his 2nd one, and in my mind there was no doubt it broke. You have to live with the judges decisions though and move on.

That night I went to dinner with my family. Ate well, felt strong, no real issues. I slept well the night before the meet and felt like I was going to be in good shape. I showed early that morning before breakfast. While in the shower my sinus infection was causing me some issues. I was draining bad into my throat and it caused me to throw up a few times. I still was not really concerned. Had a good breakfast and off to the meet.

Warm ups felt great, I was in the 2nd flight and had plenty of time to warm up. Last warm up was with 850, good depth, blasted it up, I am ready for the platform.

Opening attempt was at 950lbs. Got a little forward on the lift out, but it was very light on my back. Depth was no problem, blasted it up. 3 whites!

Went with 1015 as a 2nd attempt. This would be a 13lb pr for me in 308 class, and a 5lb all time meet PR. Much better lift out, solid depth, blasted it up. 3 white lights.

Here I had to make a decision. Do I go with 1050, or take a safer attempt at 1035. I stayed with 1035 as I felt like there was no way I would miss it. My legs were very pumped at the time. I had them set up in a chair as to get some feeling back in them.

I tighten down the straps on my suit, headed out to the bar. Lift out felt great. Weight did not even feel heavy on my back! Depth was no problem, crushed it out of the hole......then drifted right at the top and got on my toes! Missed the lift!!! I had it above the monolift handles. Maybe 3 inches from having it locked out.

My quads felt like they were going to explode at this point. Infact they felt that way for the next 2 days! It took 3 people about 5 minutes to get me out of my gear. That sucked more than I can explain!

Once out of my gear I went out front and talked with my wife and her family for a bit. I attempted to eat, and it turned my stomach about 3 bites into a burger! I went to the rest room and began to throw up again. Not sure how many times but it was more than a few.

I started to cramp during bench warm ups. I got down a few things of mustard and bannanas to fight it off. Bench warm ups went great. Last warm up was 585 off a 1board.

Opened at 685, first attempt I touched a little high, didnt get left arm around, then lost footing. Miss!

685 2nd attempt. Same as before. Didnt get my left elbow around.

3rd attempt at 685. Back is against the wall. Set up was good, pressed to lockout. Got turned down 2-1. Got called for a butt lift from one side judge, and the head judge. If you know much about powerlifting, being called for a butt lift by the head judge is well......it just doesnt happen much.

Meet is over for me at this point. Bad day, couldnt fight off the dehydration. So this is what I learned.

1. Take in more fluids, and pedialyte
2. no matter if my warm ups feel good, lower openers if feel dehydrated
3. The squat effects my bench

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
Bdub
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,416, Level: 21 Points: 1,416, Level: 21 Points: 1,416, Level: 21
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1-2 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
Bdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributor

Great write up JB! You have handled it much better than I could ever have and I don't even compete.

I'm pretty new at MAB but from what I already know is that your a class act and inspiring. Keep doing what you do brother!

Best Meet Results
Squat: 385
Bench: 265
Deadlift: 475
Bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
Beverly McD
Max Brawn
Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: Since 1987
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

Excellent write-up.
Hate you got on your toes on that 1035. I hope that overall you feel good about your squat. You looked strong on it.
The strength gains you made on this training cycle will serve you well for your next meet.
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
ravimolasaria
Max Brawn
Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

Still an awesome experience JB ... I'm sure you will back there breaking all these PRs ...
Old 03-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
IrishHitman
Max Brawn
Points: 6,200, Level: 51 Points: 6,200, Level: 51 Points: 6,200, Level: 51
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 8
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Chili Oil
IrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beast

Very cool write-up. Still extremely proud of you and I know you'll go dominate at the next meet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards."
~Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

1 March 2014
SQUAT: 650 lbs
BENCH: 340 lbs
DEADLIFT: 580 lbs
TOTAL: 1570 lbs
IrishHitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub View Post
Great write up JB! You have handled it much better than I could ever have and I don't even compete.

I'm pretty new at MAB but from what I already know is that your a class act and inspiring. Keep doing what you do brother!
Thanks for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly McD View Post
Excellent write-up.
Hate you got on your toes on that 1035. I hope that overall you feel good about your squat. You looked strong on it.
The strength gains you made on this training cycle will serve you well for your next meet.
That one hurt to let get away. I think just as much as bombing out. Not sure exactly why I got forward, but one thing is for sure. There will be bigger squats in my future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimolasaria View Post
Still an awesome experience JB ... I'm sure you will back there breaking all these PRs ...
No doubt, I will be back some day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishHitman View Post
Very cool write-up. Still extremely proud of you and I know you'll go dominate at the next meet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Thanks alot IH! I will do my best

Right now it looks like either May 3 or May 31 will be my next meet. I feel pretty good today, and a few more days of rest will put me in the right mind frame to get back to work!

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
Beverly McD
Max Brawn
Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: Since 1987
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

Just a guess on my part but it looked like you may let your knees shift forward slightly when you hit the hole.
That would change your center of gravity enough to take some of the glutes and hams out of the movement, and put it into your quads instead.
With that beautiful squat technique you use, quad squatting doesn't serve you as well.
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
fyremn
New Brawn
Points: 631, Level: 12 Points: 631, Level: 12 Points: 631, Level: 12
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Supp: Food
fyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good posts

Those squats looked great, sucks about the bench day... But you will be back - great job all in all...
fyremn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Excellent write up, JB ..... Good news - you hit a PR.......
Bad news - dehydration affected the rest of your meet....
Good news- you are a beast, you will learn from this, and you will kick (more) butt next time!!! So, you win!!
Old 03-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #10
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

E-Lyte....& Milk the night before the meet. It will keep you hydrated.