Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
JesseA
Über Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

JesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributor

This may seem too simple, but why not use the DE as assistance to the 5/3/1 primary lift? Since your primary lift is really your max effort, you could follow it up with a dynamic effort assistance. I have been varying my assistance work out in 5/3/1 so I could work in power cleans and power snatches, speed bench, etc... and have gotten great results.
JesseA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseA View Post
This may seem too simple, but why not use the DE as assistance to the 5/3/1 primary lift? Since your primary lift is really your max effort, you could follow it up with a dynamic effort assistance. I have been varying my assistance work out in 5/3/1 so I could work in power cleans and power snatches, speed bench, etc... and have gotten great results.
That's not too simple for me. I really see many possible integrations of the routines.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #14
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

"Don't customize: This probably applies to any program published on this site, but it especially matters for 5/3/1. You must do the program the way it's written.

"People ask the craziest shit," Wendler says, his voice getting louder again. " 'Can I combine 5/3/1 with Westside for Skinny Bastards?' Why not just do one or the other and make progress?

"These same guys then bitch three months later on some message board that the program didn't work. That's like complaining that your girl got pregnant despite you using a Trojan condom, except you forget to mention you were wearing the condom on your freakin' fingers."

TMUSCLE.com | How to Build Pure Strength
Old 01-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
"Don't customize: This probably applies to any program published on this site, but it especially matters for 5/3/1. You must do the program the way it's written.
I understand what you're saying Jdmalm.

Here's the thing...I was writing an extensive guide on Wendlers, and because people often customize it with Westside, I had to address that issue in the article.

I agree that far too many people over-complicate things. But I would add that people also need to find their own way with routines as they progress beyond intermediates, and that ideas often inspire new approaches.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #16
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I understand what you're saying Jdmalm.

Here's the thing...I was writing an extensive guide on Wendlers, and because people often customize it with Westside, I had to address that issue in the article.

I agree that far too many people over-complicate things. But I would add that people also need to find their own way with routines as they progress beyond intermediates, and that ideas often inspire new approaches.
Hey, I make my own hybrids all the time...I was just being snarky.

Nothing but love for BTB and MAB!
Old 01-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
Hey, I make my own hybrids all the time...I was just being snarky.

Nothing but love for BTB and MAB!
I just wanted to make sure you knew where I was coming from. I didn't take you as snarky.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:26 PM   #18
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

programs are just templates. if you modify it, it doesn't ruin the program, you just make it more adaptable to that individual. yes, the program was written to be used "as is", but surely every individual who does it will see the same results
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:34 AM   #19
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

wendler pisses me off. just something about him.

(sorry to contribute nothing).

5/3/1 is a good program however, it just seems like he thinks its the shit and better than all the rests.

I dont know why i dont like him, i just dont like some of his interviews and shit i read
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 01-18-2010, 03:04 AM   #20
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwys61 View Post
Here is a consideration

Using the Westside method, it is "said" that a Dynamic Effort workout can always substitute for a Max Effort Workout. With that said, since Wendlers 5-3-1 is mainly a DE workout, with one Max Effort Day each cycle, you could Do Wendlers stuff on Westside ME Days and do Speed work with accomodating resistance on DE Days.
Sounds good. I really like the idea of speed/dynamic effort work on deload week since I don't see a point of going into the gym and lifting light weights for 5 reps./ I opt to stay home and sleep and rest, but if I am still feeling good, I think I will try chain and band work onto the deload%'s (with in reason)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwys61 View Post
programs are just templates. if you modify it, it doesn't ruin the program, you just make it more adaptable to that individual. yes, the program was written to be used "as is", but surely every individual who does it will see the same results
I agree. For me Wendler's 5/3/1 is a bit too simple for me in terms of CNS stimulation. It is designed for you to hit reps and get stronger through reps, however nothing substitutes for having some heavy weight on your hands or on your back. Don't get me wrong I love this training template,it follows the K.I.S.S. method to a T, but I have to alternate it one month on, one month off more or less to fit into my personal goals.

I think Wendler's 5/3/1 is the bare minimum a person should do, that is why I like it. If you don't lie on your percentages, even on your most crappiest unmotivated days you will hit the prescribed numbers.

I interpret westside as attacking your weakness', so if you have more in the tank,after your prescribed worksets I say go for adding in some extra stuff, but be calculating with what you add and don't over do it. However westside is also geared towards well geared lifting, so one who lifts raw should not kill themselves on that Principal.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote