Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Bands (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1644)

kman025 01-07-2010 12:25 PM

Bands

i always see you guys mention them and powerlifters using them. i understand them to a point, but will still ask these questions:

What exactly are they for? what do they do/help? what are the difference between certain bands?

im sure there are other questions i should ask, but dont know....?

what are some good brands and links?

jwood 01-07-2010 01:42 PM

Elite Fitness Systems

Here is a link to elitefts' band section, they have a ton of great choices. Jumpstretch bands seem to be the best in business.

I can give your more information about the uses of bands later, for now you should take a look around at the articles in elitefts, you can learn so much there. Most of the authors there know their shit.

kman025 01-07-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwood (Post 18711)
Elite Fitness Systems

Here is a link to elitefts' band section, they have a ton of great choices. Jumpstretch bands seem to be the best in business.

I can give your more information about the uses of bands later, for now you should take a look around at the articles in elitefts, you can learn so much there. Most of the authors there know their shit.

ok. thanks man. i was actually looking at their selection of bands. i have no clue whats the difference and what i should get.

what would do you think i should get???

i will read those articles now

Grim83 01-07-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kman025 (Post 18713)
ok. thanks man. i was actually looking at their selection of bands. i have no clue whats the difference and what i should get.

what would do you think i should get???

i will read those articles now

the mini bands are the "lightest" they make, damn things still get up over 100ibs though. anyways they are used for accomodating resistance, basically meaning they make the weight heavier as you move into the stronger portion of your rom (bio mechanically speaking), such as on the bench press, the closer you get to locking out, the more weight the set up will equal to, and therefore keep you stronger in the top portions of the lifts.

kman025 01-07-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim83 (Post 18716)
the mini bands are the "lightest" they make, damn things still get up over 100ibs though. anyways they are used for accomodating resistance, basically meaning they make the weight heavier as you move into the stronger portion of your rom (bio mechanically speaking), such as on the bench press, the closer you get to locking out, the more weight the set up will equal to, and therefore keep you stronger in the top portions of the lifts.

when people say something like 100lbs at the top, is that a band on each side or for each band

BendtheBar 01-07-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kman025 (Post 18686)

What exactly are they for?

Others have responded and covered this...but I will chime in. Bands and chains allow you to basically turn exercises into "new" exercises. You can address certain stick points, and make certain parts of the movement more difficult.

With bands and chains, lifts get more difficult as you push towards completion.

kman025 01-07-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 18722)
Others have responded and covered this...but I will chime in. Bands and chains allow you to basically turn exercises into "new" exercises. You can address certain stick points, and make certain parts of the movement more difficult.

With bands and chains, lifts get more difficult as you push towards completion.

i think im going to buy some just for the hell of it (money burns holes in my pockets quick).

is is what i thought about them, thanks BTB.

BendtheBar 01-07-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kman025 (Post 18723)
i think im going to buy some just for the hell of it (money burns holes in my pockets quick).

YW Kmonster.

I would love to have some chains. Just the sound of them mashing concrete as I bench causes me to ooze testosterone.

Grim83 01-07-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kman025 (Post 18723)

If you go with the elitefts stuff i recommend not going higher than the monster mini, i just bought the mini, and the damn thing is stronger than i expected

kman025 01-07-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim83 (Post 18726)
If you go with the elitefts stuff i recommend not going higher than the monster mini, i just bought the mini, and the damn thing is stronger than i expected

do you mind linking me to the one your talking about? these names are confusing as shit