Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Squat suit, bench shirt, etc (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16423)

Nephilim 02-23-2014 03:31 PM

Squat suit, bench shirt, etc
 
I don't understand the the basics of squat suits and bench shirts. Basically I'm curious to hear from guys that use them. How many pounds can you add to your lifts over your raw PR? And the biggest thing that I don't understand is why use them? If you can win a raw meet and win a geared meet, why lift geared unless it's to be working with greater poundage? Is there another mechanism working within your body when you're under heavier weights with a suit that aren't at work when raw?

Soldier 02-23-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nephilim (Post 459076)
I don't understand the the basics of squat suits and bench shirts. Basically I'm curious to hear from guys that use them. How many pounds can you add to your lifts over your raw PR? And the biggest thing that I don't understand is why use them? If you can win a raw meet and win a geared meet, why lift geared unless it's to be working with greater poundage? Is there another mechanism working within your body when you're under heavier weights with a suit that aren't at work when raw?

Just a couple thoughts;

Raw lifting and equipped lifting are NOT the same thing. It's not like you put on a t shirt and magically lift more weight. Raw lifting is a true test of strength. The lifts are fairly simple and most people can learn to do them well enough to express most of their physical strength. Equipped lifting is a test of strength, joint and connective tissue integrity, technical prowess, and shear will.

Did you know that if a top fuel driver simply slammed the gas when the light turned green, then the tires would simply turn and turn until they exploded, and the dragster wouldn't really go anywhere?

A top fuel driver must know how to apply the gas slowly and smoothly to the 7,000hp engine in order to go as fast as possible while still maintaining some semblance of control. That's what equipped lifting is.

Why? because we can. Go faster, jump higher, lift more...why wouldn't we if we could?

As far as numbers, if you get the right fit and know some technique you should get about 100lb on both your squat and bench with single ply. You might get nothing on your deadlift, you might get 50lb, especially if you pull sumo.

Ryano 02-23-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 459079)
Just a couple thoughts;

Raw lifting and equipped lifting are NOT the same thing. It's not like you put on a t shirt and magically lift more weight. Raw lifting is a true test of strength. The lifts are fairly simple and most people can learn to do them well enough to express most of their physical strength. Equipped lifting is a test of strength, joint and connective tissue integrity, technical prowess, and shear will.

Exactly. A lot of raw lifters think they can just put on gear and they will automatically get bigger numbers. Not so. The gear does not GIVE you anything. You will have to earn it. Technique is more critical in geared lifting because you can't just muscle it up if you miss your groove. The amount of carryover is varied by the type of gear you use and your technique. I get about 300 lbs out of a single ply bench shirt.

Something I might add is the mental attitude for geared lifting is different. You can't be afraid of the weight. Holding 800 lbs over your face isn't something everyone can handle.

J_Byrd 02-23-2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 459079)
Just a couple thoughts;

Raw lifting and equipped lifting are NOT the same thing. It's not like you put on a t shirt and magically lift more weight. Raw lifting is a true test of strength. The lifts are fairly simple and most people can learn to do them well enough to express most of their physical strength. Equipped lifting is a test of strength, joint and connective tissue integrity, technical prowess, and shear will.

Did you know that if a top fuel driver simply slammed the gas when the light turned green, then the tires would simply turn and turn until they exploded, and the dragster wouldn't really go anywhere?

A top fuel driver must know how to apply the gas slowly and smoothly to the 7,000hp engine in order to go as fast as possible while still maintaining some semblance of control. That's what equipped lifting is.

Why? because we can. Go faster, jump higher, lift more...why wouldn't we if we could?

As far as numbers, if you get the right fit and know some technique you should get about 100lb on both your squat and bench with single ply. You might get nothing on your deadlift, you might get 50lb, especially if you pull sumo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryano (Post 459082)
Exactly. A lot of raw lifters think they can just put on gear and they will automatically get bigger numbers. Not so. The gear does not GIVE you anything. You will have to earn it. Technique is more critical in geared lifting because you can't just muscle it up if you miss your groove. The amount of carryover is varied by the type of gear you use and your technique. I get about 300 lbs out of a single ply bench shirt.

Something I might add is the mental attitude for geared lifting is different. You can't be afraid of the weight. Holding 800 lbs over your face isn't something everyone can handle.

good explanations.

Most top level equipped guys warm ups are near elite level before they put on their gear.

Honestly in my class (308) it is much easier to make the all time top twenty raw than it is equipped. I think now with the push of more raw lifting that will slowly start to change. To me it boils down to equipped lifting was where the stiffest competition has been over the last 10 years, now with the raw push you will see a lot of equipped guys doing raw meets.

Nephilim 02-23-2014 06:25 PM

Thanks guys. I've never been in a suit or shirt and didn't understand it, but what you've said makes sense.

J_Byrd 02-23-2014 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nephilim (Post 459103)
Thanks guys. I've never been in a suit or shirt and didn't understand it, but what you've said makes sense.

A lot of guys try to use gear way to early. If you dont have a good strength base than it really isnt worth trying. Take a guy like Ryano who said he can get up to 300lbs from a single ply shirt. That is true, but he is also a 500lb raw bencher without really training it. A guy with a 200lb raw bench will not get 300lb of carry over. Hope that makes sense.

On a good day I can get about 250 out of multiply shirt....Roger out benches me by a ton :D

Ryano 02-23-2014 06:35 PM

Also, the protection of gear allows older guys (like me) and guys with injuries to continue to compete. If I had to compete raw, I doubt that I'd still be looking forward to going to the platform. Not that my numbers are low, just that I know I would push myself to overload max, which raw is injury waiting to happen.

gaspers04 02-23-2014 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryano (Post 459082)
Exactly. A lot of raw lifters think they can just put on gear and they will automatically get bigger numbers. Not so. The gear does not GIVE you anything. You will have to earn it. Technique is more critical in geared lifting because you can't just muscle it up if you miss your groove. The amount of carryover is varied by the type of gear you use and your technique. I get about 300 lbs out of a single ply bench shirt.

Something I might add is the mental attitude for geared lifting is different. You can't be afraid of the weight. Holding 800 lbs over your face isn't something everyone can handle.

WTH?!? I wont get big numbers automatically....lol

BARPATH!!!!! Still echos in my ears...hehe

gaspers04 02-23-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Byrd (Post 459104)
A lot of guys try to use gear way to early. If you dont have a good strength base than it really isnt worth trying. Take a guy like Ryano who said he can get up to 300lbs from a single ply shirt. That is true, but he is also a 500lb raw bencher without really training it. A guy with a 200lb raw bench will not get 300lb of carry over. Hope that makes sense.

On a good day I can get about 250 out of multiply shirt....Roger out benches me by a ton :D

Roger is a freak, that is all.

ravimolasaria 02-24-2014 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryano (Post 459082)
Exactly. A lot of raw lifters think they can just put on gear and they will automatically get bigger numbers. Not so. The gear does not GIVE you anything. You will have to earn it. Technique is more critical in geared lifting because you can't just muscle it up if you miss your groove. The amount of carryover is varied by the type of gear you use and your technique. I get about 300 lbs out of a single ply bench shirt.

Something I might add is the mental attitude for geared lifting is different. You can't be afraid of the weight. Holding 800 lbs over your face isn't something everyone can handle.

Very well explained ... :adore: thanks Sir ... :bow: :bow:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.