Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #11
Cutty
Max Brawn
Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

I bet if you ran 50% weight for 2 weeks on everything and cut back to 5/3/1 you'd pull 500 at the end of the two weeks and make it feel light.

Just doing too much and not enough recovery time man.

TheByrn.com

Max Gym Lifts: 495/300/605
Last Meet Lifts: 435/303/512
Cutty is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #12
Nephilim
New Brawn
Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 1 year in powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Power Cleans
Fav Supp: Whole Eggs
Nephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality posts

Quote:
I bet if you ran 50% weight for 2 weeks on everything and cut back to 5/3/1 you'd pull 500 at the end of the two weeks and make it feel light.
haha perhaps with some premium Bulgarian juice
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #13
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty View Post

Just doing too much and not enough recovery time man.
I agree.

Once your deadlift hits a plateau, work on bringing your squat and frontsquat 8RM up. Cut back on deadlifts. Maybe throw in some RDLS for reps from a deficit. Your deadlift will hit new heights in the making.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #14
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

sounds like CNS training fatigue assuming all other training variables are dialed in (stress, sleep, food, hydration, etc).

time for a deload or break. you can also reset a bit and work back up.

the suggestions above for training variety and building rep strength are also good
Old 02-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #15
Nephilim
New Brawn

Nephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality posts

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZZt...?feature=watch

Hopefully this works. This is 340x5. I lowered my DL training max to 400 even, so this is 85% of training max.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:07 PM   #16
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

During your set up, experiment with leaning back a little to get your weight on your heels. Pick your big toe up if you have to.

Bouncing the weight does nothing for your starting strength. Pause and reset each rep.

You are pulling with all lower back. Squeeze your glutes like there's something trying to crawl up your ass. Push your hips through at lockout with the glutes instead of finishing the lift with your erectors.

Drive your head up and back. Think of leading the pull with your head. Right now you are just allowing the head to come along with the torso and sacrificing a lot of power.

Your knees need to lock out as well. They were soft on every single one of those reps. Fire your glutes hard and this will not be a problem, the knees will lock automatically.

If you are deadlifting twice per week, I would generally say that 85% is too high for sumo as an accessory. Try to stay in the 50-70% range, especially given all the other compound movements you are doing.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #17
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

^Awesome critique.
fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #18
Nephilim
New Brawn

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During your set up, experiment with leaning back a little to get your weight on your heels. Pick your big toe up if you have to.

Bouncing the weight does nothing for your starting strength. Pause and reset each rep.

You are pulling with all lower back. Squeeze your glutes like there's something trying to crawl up your ass. Push your hips through at lockout with the glutes instead of finishing the lift with your erectors.

Drive your head up and back. Think of leading the pull with your head. Right now you are just allowing the head to come along with the torso and sacrificing a lot of power.

Your knees need to lock out as well. They were soft on every single one of those reps. Fire your glutes hard and this will not be a problem, the knees will lock automatically.

If you are deadlifting twice per week, I would generally say that 85% is too high for sumo as an accessory. Try to stay in the 50-70% range, especially given all the other compound movements you are doing.
I appreciate your critique. I didn't realize I wasn't locking out my knees until seeing my video. I will begin pulling from a static start as well, I didn't think about cheating myself with starting strength by not re-setting before each rep. I will definately begin doing that. Do I need to get my butt lower in the set up to help drive with the glutes? It's amazing the things that you either don't recognize or a cross fit coach doesn't correct haha(don't do CF anymore but thats where I originally started working with compound lifts on a regular basis). Do you know of a good video to watch on youtube to watch good form?

By driving the head up and back, do you mean to essentially imagine where I want to finish the lift and to essentially be looking there during the pull?

I think I'm going to film myself everytime I pull so that I can more easily see if I am beginning to correct my form

Last edited by Nephilim; 02-26-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:08 PM   #19
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn

afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

The following two deadlifts are done 6 weeks apart. The first one is 610, and I failed to bring my glutes into the lift until just about the very end. Where the bar stopped (just below the knee) is where I should have fired my glutes as hard as I could. Instead I kept pulling with my back...and it just got ugly lol.

This one is 625. Granted it is in a competition, but you can see a clear difference. Once the bar hits my knee it actually accelerates because I am using my glutes properly.

This is why the glutes are so important for a conventional deadlift.

Taking video of your training is a great idea, and a must if you want to get seriously better.

Finally, I am not sure if you need to get your ass down. Personally, I do. You'll have to experiment and find out what works for you. If I were you, I would start with what you've got now and just start really trying to flex your glutes as hard as possible through the lift. Do it consciously. When you experiment, only change one variable at a time that way you can correctly evaluate what is working and what isn't. Strength is a marathon, not a sprint. Have patience and you will find out what works best for you.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:10 PM   #20
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephilim View Post
By driving the head up and back, do you mean to essentially imagine where I want to finish the lift and to essentially be looking there during the pull?
Yes. That's basically what I mean. Think of it like jumping as high as possible. You aren't going to just push with your legs off of the ground. You are going to throw your head and torso into the jump as well so you have more momentum. That is how I think of it.