Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member
Default Cube?

I've been doing a little looking around trying to find a solid powerbuilding program, and I think I may give the cube a run. I like how it's basically an outline. I would follow it's plan for my main lifts, but I'd choose my own assistance work and program my own 4th day (bodybuilding day). I had contemplated trying the lilliebridge method, but the crazy volume and super low frequency freaked me out. I'm not advanced enough to benefit from that sort of setup. I like the more balanced frequency, volume, and intensity of the cube.

Thoughts?
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #2
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

I ran it for a couple cycles, seems like most people focus on bench assistance on their 4th day. Give er a try!

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:37 PM   #3
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Looks good to me, there is a very active facebook group too,
Old 02-19-2014, 05:53 AM   #4
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

I didn't benefit from the speed days and it almost felt like a wasted training. The setup and assistance moves are great though. If you can dig the speed work it is a fun and challenging routine.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Personally I love speed/explosive work. I pulled a PR deadlift in a meet last weekend that was pretty fast. I attribute that to speed work. For me it's very effective. Its very similar to high intensity lifting though, so it's not like it's an easy day to go light. You've got to move the weight as fast as possible while firing with everything you've got. I will also say that explosive work has really transferred to my heavy lifts because it taught my body how to recruit the most muscle fiber and work more efficiently.

I ran the cube for one cycle. Gains were ok, recovery was good. I am a member of the CUBE group on Facebook and I see a lot of folks who don't make great gains on their bench. I think it's a good program for early intermediates. The consensus seems to be that cube kingpin is where it's at (365 strong book). Ben Moore and JP Price run Cube Kingpin, maybe you can ask them about it?

Last edited by afraziaaaa; 02-19-2014 at 08:48 AM.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
Personally I love speed/explosive work. I pulled a PR deadlift in a meet last weekend that was pretty fast. I attribute that to speed work. For me it's very effective. Its very similar to high intensity lifting though, so it's not like it's an easy day to go light. You've got to move the weight as fast as possible while firing with everything you've got. I will also say that explosive work has really transferred to my heavy lifts because it taught my body how to recruit the most muscle fiber and work more efficiently.

I ran the cube for one cycle. Gains were ok, recovery was good. I am a member of the CUBE group on Facebook and I see a lot of folks who don't make great gains on their bench. I think it's a good program for early intermediates. The consensus seems to be that cube kingpin is where it's at (365 strong book). Ben Moore and JP Price run Cube Kingpin, maybe you can ask them about it?
Cube kingpin...I'll look into it.

I was almost certainly going to end up modifying the cube anyways. I read the original Ebook and I don't really see the point of the rep days. Only 1 set? I thought rep days would be higher volume.

I don't mind speed work. I consider it more form training than anything, and if there's enough volume of it there will still be a training effect.

I know there doesn't seem to be much there for the bench, but that's actually good for me. I'm very slowly building back from a rotator cuff injury which, to be honest, isn't even close to 100% yet. I need lots of shoulder and upper back assistance/volume work before I can even think about benching heavy again.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. If anyone had suggestions for other powerbuilding programs I'd love to hear it (I love how I can trust you guys not to turn this into a "this is what I'M doing" thread like some other forums).
Old 02-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Neither

10/20/LIFE

Remember that name, I have been lucky enough to run a custom version of it. I have also previewed the drafts. There is a powerbuilding version in the works as well.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw

Last edited by J_Byrd; 02-19-2014 at 09:51 AM.
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #8
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post

I just finished a cycle of Cube Kingpin. I liked it. As Afraz stated, not much progress on bench (+5 lbs). Deadlift and squat went up considerably. I didn't experience much wear and tear on the shoulders. My elbows didn't like the chins/pullups every session. That said, I don't push or pull the numbers some of you guys do so it is really apples and oranges.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
Neither

10/20/LIFE

Remember that name, I have been lucky enough to run a custom version of it. I have also previewed the drafts. There is a powerbuilding version in the works as well.
I'll look into it, thanks!

edit- I can't find a single thing about any 10/20/life program. I'll check it out once it's available, but I need something to run now. Thanks again though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
I just finished a cycle of Cube Kingpin. I liked it. As Afraz stated, not much progress on bench (+5 lbs). Deadlift and squat went up considerably. I didn't experience much wear and tear on the shoulders. My elbows didn't like the chins/pullups every session. That said, I don't push or pull the numbers some of you guys do so it is really apples and oranges.
I actually just looked into cube kingpin and it looks pretty good. Lots more volume, lots of variation which I like. I'm leaning in that direction now.

Last edited by Soldier; 02-19-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #10
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I'll look into it, thanks!
You may need a link, all I got in my search for that was prison related stuff