Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:55 AM   #1
Sandbox
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Dead Cow
Sandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machine
Default Hook Grip Advice por favor

Howdy,

New member...been in the sport for 28 years though.
I posted in Intros...and now I have my first inquiry.

Detached my distal biceps tendon 11/17 during third dead attempt. Repaired the next week (drilled and anchored). Rehab is going very well. Should start light (very light) pulling in 4 weeks.
I'm definitely switching to hook grip. I'm a conventional puller but simply will not supinate my biceps again.
I would very much like advice on switching to hook grip. Literally anything you got.

Thanks,
Sandbox is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2014, 03:15 AM   #2
big_swede
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I found great help in this article when I started to hook

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...-relationship/

Quote:
The key to the hook grip is the lesson of Master Chai. The reason his hand did not break is because he tightened his fist so much that there was no room for the carpels in his hand to move. Thus, there were no moving parts to break, just one big non-breakable mass. The hook grip is like that. If there is no space between your thumb and the bar, you can pull tremendous weight and not really feel the hook grip much.

Last edited by big_swede; 01-21-2014 at 03:17 AM.
big_swede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:13 AM   #3
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I switched to hook grip last year because I was much more comfortable pulling with straps than with a mixed grip. The initial month or so was pretty painful but build up the weights slowly (probably not a problem with your injury ) and you should get used to it in no time. I would recommend taping your thumbs though as the calluses are a bitch.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:21 AM   #4
Dray
Max Brawn

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Thanks for posting that link, Swede. Good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
I would recommend taping your thumbs though as the calluses are a bitch.
Is this only at first, and if so, until when? Or for all training, just (I guess ) not for meets? Oh, and what kind of tape? I'm pretty new to a lot of these things.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
OneMorePlate
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Red Meat
OneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master member

Learned to pull with hook grip style while running GVT for deads 10 sets of 10 reps. Made my hands toughen up in 4 to 5 weeks got thicker callauses especially the thumbs forefinger inner part of hand in-between that area. 55-60 % pulls for reps is a great way to make the skin adapt to the new demands. Not sure I would want to just switch to pulling hook with more than 85% right out of the gate especially if your 1rm is over 500. Tape would be advisable but negates allowing you body to do what it does best, adapt to the demands put upon it.
Doing all your warmups and lower percentage without tape then either straps for a few weeks or tape with the higher percentage work till they are ready.
OneMorePlate is offline   Reply With Quote