Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #1
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member
Default Slingshots

When it comes to buying one (whenever that is...) should I go for the original, or the newer "Full Boar" version, which is apparently slightly improved, but also offers a bit more assistance?

Any experience with either one, guys? Or another similar item that you could recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #2
Ramrod
Max Brawn
Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

I really don't think you'll notice to much between the two. I would only suggest those two for you. Just don't get the Blue or Black. I don't think the blue would be enough and I now the Black would be to much.
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
1morerep
Max Brawn
Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast

I have the Original (red) and the Mad dog (black). Just get the original. I think Mark recommend the black sling shot for lifters benching raw over 315; is a double ply which is tougher compare to the red and blue. Haven't ck the yellow sling shot yet. Any way the original is cheaper and works. I can put an extra 50lbs of overload with that one.

540/385/515 (previous meet)

http://www.metalmilitia-va.com/

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go!!!

1MOREREP 2014
1morerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Look into some of the other options. I have a slingshot and it's a pain to get on and off. Barely fits over my arms. The Bench daddy from Mike Womack is an awesome design. I lifted with someone using it and I was jealous of how much easier it is to get on and off.

Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

I use a RAM by Anderson powerlifting ( they sponsor JB btw) and it's great, just to throw that out there. So there are different kinds.

Also do not get the super versions of any of them. Get the lowest, most basic version, least assistance, whatever. That will be plenty, and much less dangerous as it takes some getting used to and it's better to get used to it with a heck of a lot less weight on the bar.

Which is another thing that 1MR is alluding too. Unless you have a pretty big raw bench, you won't even be able to touch your chest using the more powerful versions because you won't be using enough weight generally.

My .02

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Ram also has a version out that lays flat on the chest. In my experience this wouldn't make a huge difference, but it is a little annoying that the slingshot doesn't always sit evenly on my chest as I descend.

Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:16 AM   #7
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I would recommend the red slingshot. Just make sure you size it right.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:39 AM   #8
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
I would recommend the red slingshot. Just make sure you size it right.
Cool. Any tips on that, beyond what the website says? Like, should I factor in chest size, upper arm size, or anything else? Upper body clothing size?

All it gives on the site is a "by body weight" list, and a warning for guys who are 6'4"+, and/or have huge forearms. I'm only 6'2", and my forearms are around 13.5" (cold), so... I guess those don't apply to me.

edit: And yeah, I definitely wasn't planning to get the "advanced" version(s) of anything! My 1RM is approximately 120kg (264.5lbs) atm, therefore no, they're not for me.

Last edited by Dray; 01-18-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:50 AM   #9
Nathan
Max Brawn
Points: 2,117, Level: 27 Points: 2,117, Level: 27 Points: 2,117, Level: 27
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%

Training Exp: 10+ Years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Breast Milk
Nathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
Cool. Any tips on that, beyond what the website says? Like, should I factor in chest size, upper arm size, or anything else? Upper body clothing size?

All it gives on the site is a "by body weight" list, and a warning for guys who are 6'4"+, and/or have huge forearms. I'm only 6'2", and my forearms are around 13.5" (cold), so... I guess those don't apply to me.

edit: And yeah, I definitely wasn't planning to get the "advanced" version(s) of anything! My 1RM is approximately 120kg (264.5lbs) atm, therefore no, they're not for me.
Hey Dray, elitefts has arm measurements for a couple of theirs listed.
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...&m=PD&pid=3649
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:29 PM   #10
James_Fuller
Brawn
Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
James_Fuller has made some very good postsJames_Fuller has made some very good postsJames_Fuller has made some very good postsJames_Fuller has made some very good postsJames_Fuller has made some very good postsJames_Fuller has made some very good postsJames_Fuller has made some very good postsJames_Fuller has made some very good postsJames_Fuller has made some very good postsJames_Fuller has made some very good postsJames_Fuller has made some very good posts

I have the original and both. Get both if you have the money. I use my red one once i fail raw, then once i fail with the red one i switch over to black and go up
James_Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote