Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
Kleurplaay
Max Brawn
Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor
Default Why a little butt wink is not bad in the squat

Great video by Candito

'It's all them fat powerlifting molecules and no muscle' -Steve Shaw
Kleurplaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

My article on butt wink:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...tilt-butt-wink

I honestly think the topic is generally overblown, but it still should be avoided.

Quote:
When your hamstrings are stretched to their limits, you will start to see the lumbar spine reverse its curve in response. Further depth forces pelvic rotation and lower back rounding because the hamstrings have nothing left to give.
Most people I see with butt wink are simply squatting too damn deep. Not needed. That's an easy fix.

It also leaves to looseness, which I do not want with 600+ on my back. When the body has to adapt at the point the hamstrings are changed to their limit, you are forcing it to adapt on the fly. This is not a good idea.

I don't advocate it. Butt wink is a rather simple fix.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-08-2014 at 01:33 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Seeing his videos he seems to be semi-obsessed with ATG squats. I am not a fan of these, but wanted to mention this because butt wink is often caused by going too deep.

Squatting is not a ATG competition. If depth is causing a form breakdown you need to squat higher. Period. Breakdowns are breakdowns, and I will never advocate form breakdowns.

When he starts to squat heavy he will see the importance of dialing in form as much as possible. The body is more forgiving with his youth, and with that weight.

Honestly, not putting him down but just being real, I could squat 325 all day with sloppy form, butt wink and/or bad practices and not really have it impact my body in the short term. As he ages and gets stronger he will see the importance or refinement and precision. I know a lot of 40+ lifters who wish they wouldn't have let small form issues slide.

The lighter the weight, the more you can get away with. In that sense, if you are small and weakish butt wink likely won't be an issue.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-08-2014 at 01:40 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
Kleurplaay
Max Brawn
Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Seeing his videos he seems to be semi-obsessed with ATG squats. I am not a fan of these, but wanted to mention this because butt wink is often caused by going too deep.

Squatting is not a ATG competition. If depth is causing a form breakdown you need to squat higher. Period. Breakdowns are breakdowns, and I will never advocate form breakdowns.

When he starts to squat heavy he will see the importance of dialing in form as much as possible. The body is more forgiving with his youth, and with that weight.

Honestly, not putting him down but just being real, I could squat 325 all day with sloppy form, butt wink and/or bad practices and not really have it impact my body in the short term. As he ages and gets stronger he will see the importance or refinement and precision.

The lighter the weight, the more you can get away with. In that sense, if you are small and weakish butt wink likely won't be an issue.
The guy actually has very impressive technique even at high percentages of his 1rm, so I wouldnt discard his advice based on his personal achievements.

'It's all them fat powerlifting molecules and no muscle' -Steve Shaw
Kleurplaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

Well by the videos it seems that he doesn't have any butt wink at the higher percentages so his form is dialed in.

I believe that is what Steve mentioned about eliminating form breakdowns, so while he is focused on ATG squats/butt wink in his first video he doesn't actually have butt wink in his squats (from the second videos you posted at least).

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

Honestly, not putting him down but just being real, I could squat 325 all day with sloppy form, butt wink and/or bad practices and not really have it impact my body in the short term. As he ages and gets stronger he will see the importance or refinement and precision. I know a lot of 40+ lifters who wish they wouldn't have let small form issues slide.

This is interesting. We all know the encouragement to be careful with 1/4 and other forms of partial squats. I have not heard a concern for ATG squats. Most internet gurus, guess that explains everything right there, encourage ATG squats. I practice squatting as deep as possible with the thought that when I am using competition weight, I won't get negged for lack of depth. Do I need to rethink this?

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
KCStrongmanben
TEAM MAB
Max Brawn
Points: 3,270, Level: 35 Points: 3,270, Level: 35 Points: 3,270, Level: 35
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 20
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
KCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributor

I wouldn't rethink it but take a look at your goals. Are you wanting to compete? Then you're leaving poundage in the platform by squatting deeper than needed
Muscle and Brawn
All American EFX Rep

Facebook: www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com

My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of All American EFX
and they are my own.

KCStrongmanben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #8
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
This is interesting. We all know the encouragement to be careful with 1/4 and other forms of partial squats. I have not heard a concern for ATG squats. Most internet gurus, guess that explains everything right there, encourage ATG squats. I practice squatting as deep as possible with the thought that when I am using competition weight, I won't get negged for lack of depth. Do I need to rethink this?
In my opinion if your form is holding then squatting deeper than necessary won't be a hinder (it may keep from squatting heavier weight than if you were just to hit parallel, but in terms of everything else it won't hurt you).

My opinion from BTB stated is that if you're encouraging ATG Squats and a person needs to break form to get there, then it is smarter to have the squat higher to continue to perfect their form. Once it is fixed lower their depth to whatever standard they may have/want/need.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote