Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #11
Dray
Max Brawn

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

I have absolutely no frickin' idea, but have heard time and time again that gaining weight can help squat and bench, or at least certainly not hinder them, whereas it will do nothing at all for deadlifts (beyond "gaining weight" in the sense of gaining muscle, obviously).

Don't know why that would be, exactly.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #12
KCStrongmanben
TEAM MAB
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
KCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributor

We'll more weight gained usually increases the mass around the midsection and putting you further away from the bar and harder to get in position.

I've had to completely revamp my deadlift set up but once I did my numbers sky rocketed. So a step back but many steps forward in terms of strength
Muscle and Brawn
KCStrongmanben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #13
Kleurplaay
Max Brawn

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStrongmanben View Post
We'll more weight gained usually increases the mass around the midsection and putting you further away from the bar and harder to get in position.

I've had to completely revamp my deadlift set up but once I did my numbers sky rocketed. So a step back but many steps forward in terms of strength
Could you explain how you changed your deadlift set up? I don't have a huge belly yet but I definitely cant get in the same position that I used to be able to get into when I just started lifting. Never thought about changing anything in my setup untill you said that just now.
Kleurplaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #14
KCStrongmanben
TEAM MAB
Max Brawn

Fav Supp: Pizza
KCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleurplaay View Post
Could you explain how you changed your deadlift set up? I don't have a huge belly yet but I definitely cant get in the same position that I used to be able to get into when I just started lifting. Never thought about changing anything in my setup untill you said that just now.
Sure thing man. I basically was a high hip puller before and just used pure back strength. After a back injury (spondo of l5/s1 and bulging discs) and gaining weight that method just didn't feel right anymore. I needed to get more legs in my pull. What I do now is grasp the bar straight legged, get my air, bend the legs and pull myself down to position. This serves 2 purposes. I pull the slack out of the bar and get my shoulders back automatically and I also load up the hips and legs and think about pushing back and away. Keeps the bar in tight, uses a little stretch reflex and gives me more speed for lockout. You can see it here

Muscle and Brawn
KCStrongmanben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #15
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
What is stronger? An ant or an elephant?

In terms of relative strength, the ant. He can lift up to 20x his body weight...around 100 milligrams!

In terms of absolute strength, the elephant. He probably can't lift his body weight, but can lift actual tons...thousands of pounds.

For people, you'll see this best in something like pull ups. The skinny guy can rep pull ups and a big guy can often only get a few, but the big guy can bench, squat, dead lift, etc. much more.

PS - Another answer is: leverage.

Great analysis JD.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
GT55
Brawn

Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Crunches of course
Fav Supp: A second plate
GT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributor

Always wondered about this too. Scaling is a science in itself, it should be hard to find factors to compare strength of different sized people I would guess.

I read something last week about the size of calves; even if they never train, 300lb guys generally have huge calves. Sumo wrestlers have more lean mass than bodybuilders despite not doing any preacher curls, shrugs etc...

I guess the it's a combination of anabolic effects of eating, and the training effect of carrying more mass around...
GT55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #17
MadScientistOfMaB
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Chaos & Pain
Fav Exercise: Squat, push-press
Fav Supp: Mr. Hyde & whiskey
MadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT55 View Post
Always wondered about this too. Scaling is a science in itself, it should be hard to find factors to compare strength of different sized people I would guess.

I read something last week about the size of calves; even if they never train, 300lb guys generally have huge calves. Sumo wrestlers have more lean mass than bodybuilders despite not doing any preacher curls, shrugs etc...

I guess the it's a combination of anabolic effects of eating, and the training effect of carrying more mass around...
The calves makes a ton of sense. That would be like a skinny guy walking around with a 150 lb vest. Maybe that has something to do with the squatting as well. The constant weight of their body is like constant strength training (it's practically a squat every time they sit down or stand up)
Experimentation is the word of the day here, and you're going to be like a mad scientist, tinkering with your diet until you've turned yourself into a massive, world-destroying robot bent on nothing short of the subjugation and destruction of the entire human race.
-Jamie Lewis (Chaos&Pain)

Nothing exceeds like excess.

HT: 5'10" WT: 220
Deadlift 455 Squat 405
Bench 355 Push-press 275
MadScientistOfMaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #18
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
What is stronger? An ant or an elephant?

In terms of relative strength, the ant. He can lift up to 20x his body weight...around 100 milligrams!

In terms of absolute strength, the elephant. He probably can't lift his body weight, but can lift actual tons...thousands of pounds.

For people, you'll see this best in something like pull ups. The skinny guy can rep pull ups and a big guy can often only get a few, but the big guy can bench, squat, dead lift, etc. much more.

PS - Another answer is: leverage.
Just out of interest...

Would that mean if the ant was scaled up to the elephant's size, he would lift 100 tons?

The answer is no, an ant as big as an elephant would lift about the same as an elephant.

Take a cube sized animal, named A. He measures 1 cm x 1 cm x 1cm and weighs 0.001kg (same density as water). He's got arms measuring 0.1 cm x 0.1 cm = 0.01 cm square in cross-sectional area. These allow him to lift 0.01 kg.

His ratio of strength to mass is 0.01/0.001 = 10

Now take animal B, who is one hundred times taller and wider than A. His arms measure 10 x 10 cm. So the cross sectional area of his arms is 100 cm, or ten thousand times greater than A.

As strength is directly proportional to cross-sectional area of muscle, his strength is also 10,000 times greater. He can lift 0.01 x 10,000 = 100 kg.

But his volume and therefore weight has increased as a cube of 100. He is 100 X 100 X 100 cm, a million times the volume, and that means he weighs 1000kg.

His ratio of strength to mass is 100/1000 = 0.1 or one hundredth that of animal A.

Incidentally, this explains several unconnected things:

1) Why power-weigh ratio goes down from the lightest lifters to the heaviest ones
2) Why you could never get land animals above a certain size
3) Why a flea the same size as a man wouldn't be able to jump over a building.

(I think my calculations are right, but it's getting late )

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #19
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Just out of interest...

Would that mean if the ant was scaled up to the elephant's size, he would lift 100 tons?

The answer is no, an ant as big as an elephant would lift about the same as an elephant.

Take a cube sized animal, named A. He measures 1 cm x 1 cm x 1cm and weighs 0.001kg (same density as water). He's got arms measuring 0.1 cm x 0.1 cm = 0.01 cm square in cross-sectional area. These allow him to lift 0.01 kg.

His ratio of strength to mass is 0.01/0.001 = 10

Now take animal B, who is one hundred times taller and wider than A. His arms measure 10 x 10 cm. So the cross sectional area of his arms is 100 cm, or ten thousand times greater than A.

As strength is directly proportional to cross-sectional area of muscle, his strength is also 10,000 times greater. He can lift 0.01 x 10,000 = 100 kg.

But his volume and therefore weight has increased as a cube of 100. He is 100 X 100 X 100 cm, a million times the volume, and that means he weighs 1000kg.

His ratio of strength to mass is 100/1000 = 0.1 or one hundredth that of animal A.

Incidentally, this explains several unconnected things:

1) Why power-weigh ratio goes down from the lightest lifters to the heaviest ones
2) Why you could never get land animals above a certain size
3) Why a flea the same size as a man wouldn't be able to jump over a building.

(I think my calculations are right, but it's getting late )
Yes, there are diminishing returns at most extremes.

Great detailed post!

Last edited by jdmalm123; 12-09-2013 at 11:09 PM.
jdmalm123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #20
IainK
Max Brawn

Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

Good post Tanner.

As surface area increases the ratio 'volume/surface area' increases.