Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Thanks guys for all of the responses. Swede brought up some ideas for alternative exercises to use. What are some other suggestions, especially for the home gym?

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
Thanks guys for all of the responses. Swede brought up some ideas for alternative exercises to use. What are some other suggestions, especially for the home gym?
The olympic lifts are probably best, but the technical aspect of those lifts can make them less productive. I don't do them since I never did them in a past and would need a coach to make them safe.

since the general theme here is lift the heaviest weights you can as fast as possible, I'd suggest short lifts (like DL from blocks or rack pulls) or momentum lifts (like push presses). Aiming for a set up where the weights are heavy, but you don't risk hurting yourself with a full ROM...
Old 12-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
The olympic lifts are probably best, but the technical aspect of those lifts can make them less productive. I don't do them since I never did them in a past and would need a coach to make them safe.

since the general theme here is lift the heaviest weights you can as fast as possible, I'd suggest short lifts (like DL from blocks or rack pulls) or momentum lifts (like push presses). Aiming for a set up where the weights are heavy, but you don't risk hurting yourself with a full ROM...
Thanks man, like you, I would not be comfortable with the olympic lifts. Love rack pulls so that works!

Squat 308 315
Deadlift 408 375

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
Old 12-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #14
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

One thing people haven't said is that the older you are the more impact speed work is on your joints and not in a good way. I tried speed work with bench and squats, both good lifts for me in general, and both of them I ended up with joint problems or not much benefit. Deadlifts I stink at, so who knows.

Another thing I will point out is that Olympic lifts do not have to be that technical. I can power snatch 135 and power clean 185. Both of which are nothing compared to my main powerlifting movements, but I do believe they work my overall speed and power even though they are relatively light weights. And I can do them safely in the sense that I am not going to injure myself doing them. At least not any more so than any of my lifting.

I do believe in doing ALL your lifts as fast as possible though. All my warmups and sub max lifts are done as fast as possible, really explode them up. Maybe that is incorporating speed work into your regular routine, but honestly, for me, when you learn to explode a lift and practice it as often as possible, that lift gets stronger and right quick.

Maybe it helps the joints too, I don't know, but as we get older, joint health is a concern to be considered.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #15
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

I too believe in the aspect of doing all your sets at maximum speed. If you're working in the 70-80 percent range of your 1RM and you're moving those with maximum speed I feel it has better carry over than the traditional protocols of 45-65% range.

The biggest issue that I see when people are doing speed work is they focus on getting explosive out of the beginning of the lift (off the chest, out of the hole, off the ground) but then let that momentum carry them through the rest of the lift. It needs to be fast and explosive through the whole lift to be beneficial, not just the beginning. In my opinion at least.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #16
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

My issue is the "what will it look like?" issue. I try to squat, DL and Bench as if it is being judged. Figuring if I practice that way, when I get to the platform I will perform that way. I am having trouble getting my mind around what speed training might look like.

Squat 308 315
Deadlift 408 375

Old 12-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #17
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

Ideally the movement (bar path, body, etc) should all look just like a competition lift. But the speed (bar speed) should be significantly faster as you are trying to force a submax weight up like it were a max weight.

That is how I interpret speed work, other may have a different view and can chime in here.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote