Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
jopp
Brawn
Points: 1,530, Level: 22 Points: 1,530, Level: 22 Points: 1,530, Level: 22
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: meat
jopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good posts
Default A Belt and Two Wraps

As I progress in my lifting career and start to get more serious I ask myself a question. What do you really get out of a belt and knee wraps? I have not used either one on any of my lifts. How many pounds can you really expect to get out of a belt? Wraps?
Age 18
Weight 184

"Living with integrity is hard but it also breads true happiness because you can go to sleep every night with a clear mind."

You need to Build, Do not test all of the time.

Sometimes your strongest attribute becomes an obstacle

Training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...026#post490026
jopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I don't get any poundage from a belt, but I've always gotten really good carryover from knee wraps. I get anywhere from 30-50lb out of knee wraps.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Not sure how much wraps add to me numbers wise, but they add alot of stability, even with my tremors, which gives me alot more confidence and allows for better form in spreaading the floor with my knees. A belt simply allows me to feel the air in my stomach throughout the lift.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

I didn't use a belt in training until I squatted and dead lifted over 500lbs. That wasn't some sort of smart programming design either, I just didn't have one lol.

As the weights get heavier, the belt gives you something to brace your core against. It makes for more stability and tightness in the squat which for me translates to more lbs on my squat when used properly. The harder you can brace, the more weight your body can handle.

As far as the knee wraps, I will second the stability. They just keep everything compressed and help your knees stabilize the weight better. I get about 30lbs out of the light wraps that I use.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
jopp
Brawn

jopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good posts

Thank you guys.

So what I have gathered, correctly if i am evaluating this wrong, they both add stability which could make you lift more. Individual poundage is based off of yourself.
Age 18
Weight 184

"Living with integrity is hard but it also breads true happiness because you can go to sleep every night with a clear mind."

Old 12-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopp View Post
Thank you guys.

So what I have gathered, correctly if i am evaluating this wrong, they both add stability which could make you lift more. Individual poundage is based off of yourself.
Basically, yes; plus the added psychological security that comes from both the belt and wraps tends to give people confidence to lift slightly more as well.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
IainK
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 20
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

Belt gives me approx 10kg.

Knee wraps gave me 20kg. And that was without that much experince in just wraps and just me putting them on. Hear lots say up to 30kg if you get them on proper meet tight.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #8
jopp
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainK View Post
Belt gives me approx 10kg.

Knee wraps gave me 20kg. And that was without that much experince in just wraps and just me putting them on. Hear lots say up to 30kg if you get them on proper meet tight.
Now I get why people have a problem with raw raw and raw with wraps. Im not going to take sides on that till i try everything.
Age 18
Weight 184

Old 12-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #9
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopp View Post
Thank you guys.

Depends how you use them and your lifting style. I don't squat beltless often so I get a lot of carryover from that, however, my knees don't travel too far forward so knee wraps are more about stability for me. Get a belt first, master that and then move onto wraps.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
jopp
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Depends how you use them and your lifting style. I don't squat beltless often so I get a lot of carryover from that, however, my knees don't travel too far forward so knee wraps are more about stability for me. Get a belt first, master that and then move onto wraps.
Thanks are there any belts that you recommend that aren't too expensive but solid quality.
Age 18
Weight 184