Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #81
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
Unless your name ends with Malanichev, Lilliebridge, or Kendall. Then the weights may not go down too much
Add in Dan Green and you may have a list of the eventual saviors of the sport. Unfortunately they're all posterboys for chemical enhancement, and serious testing would be the only way to truly legitimize the sport.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #82
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Funny how I hardly ever hear people talk about Olympic athletes using drugs.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #83
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
Funny how I hardly ever hear people talk about Olympic athletes using drugs.
There are people who get paid a lot of money to help athletes use PEDs without getting caught. Remember, Lance Armstrong never once failed a steroid test.

I'm not anti-AAS, hell I use it myself, but people like to THINK that athletes are being properly tested. Crossfit is a "tested" competition, but from what I've read it's fairly easy to get around.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #84
skids
Max Brawn
Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

Powerlifting down here certainly seems to be on the decline sadly. Years ago when I was at high school powerlifting was the king of all sports, we had a good gym, coach's the lot. It was all raw.

Back when I was oly lifting, geared powerlifting was all the rage, there was heaps of powerlifters and then something precular happened. The average gym rat saw all these powerlifters walking around like zombies in there bench shirts and they realised that the sport was not what it seemed.

Now I would like to point out that I am not a hater of geared lifting, I love it and do not have the nuts to do it, like most gym rats I guess.

Now days there is a trend of people going back to raw lifting and the gym rats are getting involved again.

Personally I think that when average Joe see's somebody perform a 200kg raw squat (for example) they can relate with that, even if they cant do it but it gives them something to work on and achieve it, then they realise that they can compete and they will not get ridiculed for partaking in a sport that breeds alpha males.

On the flip side, when average Joe see's a geared lifter squat 400kg, average Joe realises that he is not up to the task and will not be competitive in competition, so he just stays a gym rat.

Just my thoughts on how things are down here from what I have seen, may be vary different in the US.

Cheers.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #85
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Powerlifting down here certainly seems to be on the decline sadly. Years ago when I was at high school powerlifting was the king of all sports, we had a good gym, coach's the lot. It was all raw.

Back when I was oly lifting, geared powerlifting was all the rage, there was heaps of powerlifters and then something precular happened. The average gym rat saw all these powerlifters walking around like zombies in there bench shirts and they realised that the sport was not what it seemed.

Now I would like to point out that I am not a hater of geared lifting, I love it and do not have the nuts to do it, like most gym rats I guess.

Now days there is a trend of people going back to raw lifting and the gym rats are getting involved again.

Personally I think that when average Joe see's somebody perform a 200kg raw squat (for example) they can relate with that, even if they cant do it but it gives them something to work on and achieve it, then they realise that they can compete and they will not get ridiculed for partaking in a sport that breeds alpha males.

On the flip side, when average Joe see's a geared lifter squat 400kg, average Joe realises that he is not up to the task and will not be competitive in competition, so he just stays a gym rat.

Just my thoughts on how things are down here from what I have seen, may be vary different in the US.

Cheers.
That's a very large part of what my post was all about. If people can't relate to a sport they probably won't be very interested in watching it. There are exceptions, of course, like all the different variations of vehicle racing, but that's sort of a different deal. I suppose people will be more likely to enjoy watching a sport that involves athletes they actually want to be like. Most people don't want to be 300lb monsters, even if it meant they could bench 600lb.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:07 AM   #86
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Unfortunately they're all posterboys for chemical enhancement, and serious testing would be the only way to truly legitimize the sport.
Not attaching chemical enhancement to any specific names. This is merely a general comment. I know 3 powerlifting world record holders that take over 8,000 a week. One 13,000mgs. He also takes 100mgs of orals a day.

Powerlifting is rather wild west because of no testing. It is like bodybuilding in the sense that with drugs the sport has become something completely different.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:02 AM   #87
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Not attaching chemical enhancement to any specific names. This is merely a general comment. I know 3 powerlifting world record holders that take over 8,000 a week. One 13,000mgs. He also takes 100mgs of orals a day.

Powerlifting is rather wild west because of no testing. It is like bodybuilding in the sense that with drugs the sport has become something completely different.
That's the great irony, really. The only way to make people use less steroids is to claim to be drug free and use lose testing. At the moment most people in tested feds actually are clean, because if they aren't they can just go to an untested fed. If there was only 1 large fed that used lose testing everyone could still use but they'd have to back way off and be smart about it.

So the only way to make it appear legitimate is to actually create a situation where more people are lying.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #88
Soldier
Max Brawn

I'm a Beachbody coach. it's true. Wait, before the stoning starts, I'll explain myself.

My wife became a beachbody coach, and she's persuing it in a pretty serious way. One of the tricks she's using that she's learned from others is to sign up your spouse as a coach. It helps in the long run because you can route orders through your spouse and get extra commisions. There are other reasons too, but to be honest I stopped listening to my wife after a couple minutes.

I also just don't care. Because beachbody.

But anyways, my wife decided to add me to her "team's" facebook group, much to my chagrin. So now I get 80 alerts a day, and I get to read lots of inexperienced idiots asking questions about how to deal with issues their "clients" are having. Most of these issues are simple (aka, stupid), and would be easily resolved if these people were even half qualified to call themselves "coaches".

Today I finally had to respond to a question. I had to respond, because I'm quite certain that I was the only person in the group who was truly qualified to answer. It was someone asking what to do with their client who had a reccuring injury in her back. Evidently every time she started to try to exercise again it was reinjured. Her chiropractor told her to stop squatting and doing clean and jerks (her "favorite" new weight movements). He said she'd thank him when she was old.

I was cringing with every line I read. Here is what I gleamed from the info I read-
-The client never had the injury rehabilitated properly.
-She also never prepared herself to start training again by training the affected area to strengthen the surrounding muscles and connective tissue.
-She was doing crossfit (why else would she be doing O lifts?)
-She was asking for advice from a FUCKING BEACHBODY COACH.

In other words, there is absolutely no one in this poor woman's corner who has even half a clue on what to do. Her coach is not a coach. Her gym is a box (of idiots). Her chiropractor is a fucking moron who things that her injuries mean she'll be BETTER OFF if she never squats again. As if not being able to squat is ok.

It's not.

Everybody should be able to squat. If you can't, you figure out what's wrong and you FUCKING DEAL WITH IT. You rehab your injuries. You train the supporting musculature to take the pressure off the injured area. And above all else, eventually you squat.

So, in much nicer words (these coaches are all soft), I told her what to do. She probably won't listen because she probably won't even understand my response. I tried to make it simple, but I'd have to write a book to address all the issues going on, and a facebook comment can only so long be. I also only care just so much. If someone isn't going to take control of their own recovery, there's only so much I'm willing to do through a third party.

Being a beachbody coach sucks.

I'm going to go lift something heavy and try to forget about the whole thing.

Last edited by Soldier; 08-12-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #89
melvin2345
Brawn
Points: 695, Level: 13 Points: 695, Level: 13 Points: 695, Level: 13
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 20 months
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Bacon
melvin2345 has made some very good postsmelvin2345 has made some very good postsmelvin2345 has made some very good postsmelvin2345 has made some very good postsmelvin2345 has made some very good postsmelvin2345 has made some very good postsmelvin2345 has made some very good postsmelvin2345 has made some very good postsmelvin2345 has made some very good postsmelvin2345 has made some very good postsmelvin2345 has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Being a beachbody coach sucks.
Agreed. In 2012 I didn't know anything about anything fitness related, but wanted to lose some weight. A friend gave me a copy of P90x, which I finished, and felt awesome about. Drank the kool-aid, became a coach, did Insanity, Asylum, Body Beast, etc...

Looked and felt good, but I was weak. So I joined bodybuilding.com forums. The more I learned, the more I realized that no one in the Beachbody community knew anything outside of Beachbody. The awful advice being given made me shake my head, wondering how many people are getting hurt or not hitting their potential.

LAST MEET: 8/2/2014 - 1300 @ 277 (501s/286b/513d)
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=497065

Current Log - http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17085
melvin2345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #90
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin2345 View Post
Agreed. In 2012 I didn't know anything about anything fitness related, but wanted to lose some weight. A friend gave me a copy of P90x, which I finished, and felt awesome about. Drank the kool-aid, became a coach, did Insanity, Asylum, Body Beast, etc...

Looked and felt good, but I was weak. So I joined bodybuilding.com forums. The more I learned, the more I realized that no one in the Beachbody community knew anything outside of Beachbody. The awful advice being given made me shake my head, wondering how many people are getting hurt or not hitting their potential.
Most of the coaches are slightly overweight stay at home moms. Some are in pretty good shape, but don't do BB programs exclusively. I really do think that they are helping people stay active and get in better shape, which I have no problem with. I did P90X once and along with a good diet had very good results. It was also just fun, which is funny to say now, but it's true.

I just wish I didn't have to hear about it.