Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #61
skids
Max Brawn
Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

If I be honest I have also tried the TGU,

Light weight = Useless

Heavy weight = Arm wants to detach from shoulder & KB wants to drop on head.

Nice one Russia.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2014, 07:48 AM   #62
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

This one is going to be boring. Nothing new to see here.

Muscle confusion...

It's just another example of people just taking whatever they hear and just eating like its fucking cake. Or pie. I'm partial to cake, myself. Your muscle does ONE thing. It contracts. That’s it. It can only be contracted or relaxed.

I know what you're thinking I'll say now. You're thinking I'll say "It can only be contracted or relaxed. It can't be confused." Well you're wrong. Stop putting words in my mouth. Everybody knows that muscles don’t think.

Of course, when it comes to things like the biceps it's all pretty simple. The muscle contracts and pulls the hands closer to the shoulder. But then you have more complex area like the hips, and WAY more complicated area like the shoulder. There are literally 2 million muscles that control what happens at the shoulder (did you roll your eyes when I said “literally”? If so, we can be friends because that’s exactly what I would do.), which is why we have to use so many different movements to train the muscles of the shoulders and back.

But muscular function aside, it can’t be argued that most people see the majority of their improvement with a certain movement within the first month of starting to use that movement. So it only stands to reason that once your improvement slows you should move on to a new movement, right?

NOOOO! Stop for 2 fucking seconds and ask yourself “What is my actual goal?” When you first start doing ANYTHING you suck at it. Period. So if it’s a resistance movement like pushups, or squats, or box jumps, or bench press, or shoving a fucking screw driver through your own ears because that godamn Happy sing is on the radio AGAIN, the more you do it the better you’ll become and therefore, you’ll be able to use more weight EVEN IF YOU HAVEN’T GOTTEN STRONGER OR BUILT ANY NEW MUSCLE. So if your goal is to do either of these things, your goal SHOULD be to use the same movement long enough to gain proficiency. And when you do get good at the movement and your initial gains slow? Guess what, you’re finally ready to actually develop usable strength and seeable muscle.

This is just another case of something I’m seeing over and over. People just DO. They don’t think. They react and DO, and what they do is usually stupid bullshit. But they’re so busy doing stupid bullshit they never stop to ask themselves WHY they’re doing stupid bullshit. Look through your program. Look at the 3rd movement you’re doing during the session you have planned for this Wednesday. Now ask yourself WHY you’re doing it. Let’s say it says “Skull crushers, 3 sets of 10”. Why are you doing skull crushers? Why are you doing 3 sets? Why are you doing 10 reps for all 3 working sets? I’m not saying you shouldn’t do skull crushers, or that you should do 3 sets of 10. I just want everyone to get their heads out of their collective asses and start questioning things. Scratch off the pretty outer coating of things and look at what’s really going on, and stop believing things. Ever. Question everything.

Speaking of which…
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #63
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Why is it that so many religions get all pissed off about people questioning things? I'll never understand this. In my personal experience I know for a fact that Christians are told to simply believe and not question the faith.

That's bullshit. If something is the TRUTH, wouldn't it stand up to any and all sound questioning? Of course, things can be twisted and spun in all different directions no matter what you think, but wouldn't it only strengthen someone's faith if they were fully allowed to question what they were taught?

If someone is teaching me math and they tell me 2+2=4, I should be able to ask why, and they should be willing to explain. If a teacher said 2+2=3 and when you said why they snapped back "Don't ever question math!", you'd probably get the hell away from that teacher.

Why is it all of a sudden OK if it's a religion?
Old 04-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #64
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

I like your thought process. But I cant agree with you saying that Christians dont question faith. It does go for alot, but not all. Breaks over ill check back after work.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #65
skids
Max Brawn

skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

Best thread ever
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #66
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Best thread ever

Last edited by Soldier; 04-28-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #67
RobMoriRB
Max Brawn
Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Mutant Mass
RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member

interesting
Dead Lift: 501

GYM PR
Squat: 405
Bench: 285
Dead Lift: 475

Block Program:http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ad.php?t=17576
BLOG:http://theanimalmethod.wordpress.com/
RobMoriRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #68
Soldier
Max Brawn

There was a shooting today at a fedex facility. I was absolutely shocked to find out that FedEx employees don't carry guns with them all the time while at work.

(See how stupid that sounds? That how it sounds to me when everyone asks about soldiers being armed all the time while in garrison after the Ft. Hood shooting.)
Old 04-29-2014, 05:02 PM   #69
Soldier
Max Brawn

You know one thing I see ALL THE TIME? I see people taking on maximal lifts (They don't realize they're maximal, of course, they just think they're going hard because that's what you gotta do to get huge, bro), and when they reach a sticking point, they look sideways. They turn their heads on their skinny little necks and they look to the side. Usually it's towards the weight that isn't moving, because these people are so lose and their technique is such shit that one side ALWAYS ends up lower than the other.

It's bad enough if you do it during the bench. If you do it during the bench, then that means you're NOT driving your traps into the bench. It means you're NOT using your legs to drive the bar backwards towards the rack. Basically, it means you're not doing anything you should which is why you're having so much trouble with that massive 185lb lift.

*If I look at the weights on the right, they will magically rise!*

Well, at least you're not killing yourself, even though you probably should.

But then I see someone getting stuck and turning their heads sideways on the SQUAT! WHAT?! You really think it's a good idea to turn your head when your spine is already under WAY too much strain, thanks to your awesome bowed back form? Maybe instead of looking at that evil weight that just won't move, you should try driving your head into the sky? Maybe you should do full ROM reps, so that you're actually semi-prepared when you get heavy weights on your back? Maybe if you did that you'd stop getting stuck in the first place.

Then there are the guys that lock out a pretty solid bench press, only to turn their heads and watch the bar as they slowly lower it into the rack, one side at a time. Unlike the cute girl you invited to the gym to show her how hardcore you are, THE RACK DIDN'T FUCKING RUN AWAY WHILE YOU WERE LIFTING. It's still exactly where it was, so just put the bar in the fucking rack.

I swear, this thread wasn't supposed to turn into a purely rant based thread...but, people just keep sucking.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:24 PM   #70
skids
Max Brawn

Its all true, I just cant stop laughing .