Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:42 AM   #121
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likethebaldwin View Post
I just started a philosophy class this week (so I know everything about everything :P) and our first unit is about arguments for the existence of god. We are covering concepts form nearly 10,000 years ago, so it might help to know that this whole conversation about god vs science is actually a time honored human tradition.
It's human nature to want to explain things. To be honest, science does it to. When scientists couldn't explain how Universes move so fat but don't spin themselves apart they decided there must be some type of extremely heavy matter that they can't detect. They call it "dark matter". This is pretty much exactly the same as ancient people seeing an eclipse or a shooting start and saying it must be "god". They're both cases of people seeing something they can't fully explain and essentially throwing a name on it so they can sleep better at night.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #122
Kleurplaay
Max Brawn
Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
It's human nature to want to explain things. To be honest, science does it to. When scientists couldn't explain how Universes move so fat but don't spin themselves apart they decided there must be some type of extremely heavy matter that they can't detect. They call it "dark matter". This is pretty much exactly the same as ancient people seeing an eclipse or a shooting start and saying it must be "god". They're both cases of people seeing something they can't fully explain and essentially throwing a name on it so they can sleep better at night.
Well it's not exactly the same thing. It's fair to assume that our theories in physics are quite accurate descriptions of the universe, as we've done tons of predictions/calculations with them that turned out to be correct. You can infer from all the succesful predictions that there must be some truth to the theories, and the theories need dark matter/dark energy (which is actually a terrible name because it it isn't really energy in the classical sense) to be correct.

Theories are proposed and appear to be accurate. Later someone brings up that the theory doesn't even seem to make sense, yet it gives correct predictions. The combination of those two events are valid scientific reasons to propose the existence of something we have yet to observe. It's unlikely (still possible) that our theories are bunk and we're just 'fixing them' by coming up with something like dark matter/energy because we've done so many thing succesfully using these theories.

The origin of the idea of a 'god' did not come from such a process and there isn't a 'likelihood of truth' to it as a result of succesful predictions, because the idea of a god is full of logical flaws in a scientific sense.

Definitely not the same imo.

Sorry for any possibly weird sentences, writing about scientific subjects in a foreign language isn't my strong suit.

edit: An example of the opposite happening would be the neutrinos that were thought to be traveling faster than the speed of light. This phenomenon, if true, would cause all kinds of trouble with current scientific theories. Indirectly this means that it is very unlikely true, which it indeed turned out to be. Obviously results would still have to be reproducable in the case of dark matter/dark energy, but scientists would be way more willing to accept the idea because it makes sense and fits with other current theories.

edit2: But you're definitely right that both of the two stem from the very human drive to explain everything around us and wanting everything to make sense, just not in the same way in my opinion.

'It's all them fat powerlifting molecules and no muscle' -Steve Shaw

Last edited by Kleurplaay; 08-25-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Kleurplaay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #123
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleurplaay View Post
Well it's not exactly the same thing. It's fair to assume that our theories in physics are quite accurate descriptions of the universe, as we've done tons of predictions/calculations with them that turned out to be correct. You can infer from all the succesful predictions that there must be some truth to the theories, and the theories need dark matter/dark energy (which is actually a terrible name because it it isn't really energy in the classical sense) to be correct.

Theories are proposed and appear to be accurate. Later someone brings up that the theory doesn't even seem to make sense, yet it gives correct predictions. The combination of those two events are valid scientific reasons to propose the existence of something we have yet to observe. It's unlikely (still possible) that our theories are bunk and we're just 'fixing them' by coming up with something like dark matter/energy because we've done so many thing succesfully using these theories.

The origin of the idea of a 'god' did not come from such a process and there isn't a 'likelihood of truth' to it as a result of succesful predictions, because the idea of a god is full of logical flaws in a scientific sense.

Definitely not the same imo.

Sorry for any possibly weird sentences, writing about scientific subjects in a foreign language isn't my strong suit.

edit: An example of the opposite happening would be the neutrinos that were thought to be traveling faster than the speed of light. This phenomenon, if true, would cause all kinds of trouble with current scientific theories. Indirectly this means that it is very unlikely true, which it indeed turned out to be. Obviously results would still have to be reproducable in the case of dark matter/dark energy, but scientists would be way more willing to accept the idea because it makes sense and fits with other current theories.

edit2: But you're definitely right that both of the two stem from the very human drive to explain everything around us and wanting everything to make sense, just not in the same way in my opinion.
I agree, actually. I was just trying to draw parallels that could bring us all together. The whole neutrino thing is pretty crazy if I remember correctly. I need to go watch all the stuff on Netflix with Neil DeGrasse Tyson again, lol. He's just so damn good at explaining things like that.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #124
Kleurplaay
Max Brawn
Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
I agree, actually. I was just trying to draw parallels that could bring us all together. The whole neutrino thing is pretty crazy if I remember correctly. I need to go watch all the stuff on Netflix with Neil DeGrasse Tyson again, lol. He's just so damn good at explaining things like that.
Haha I remember everyone being all excited and my physics professor at the time was like 'meh it's probably nothing'. Tyson is indeed awesome!

'It's all them fat powerlifting molecules and no muscle' -Steve Shaw
Kleurplaay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #125
Soldier
Max Brawn

I was just screwing around on youtube and decided to watch a video from strength camp. It was some "open gym" thing where I guess people get to go in and try things and ask questions. The owner was helping a younger guy who looked like he never lifted once in his life. First he had him do keg walks, then in the next segment he was showing him how to do face pulls. I was like "ok, why is this kid doing face pulls in the first place?", but that's beside the point. Before having the kid start, the coach said to "focus on THORACIC EXTENSION".

Haha, WHAT?

This kid doesn't look like he's lifted more than a bar his whole life and you're going to throw around terms like thoracic extension? Ok bro, you're cool. You're so much smarter than the rest of us and you know such awesome words and shit.

next thing you know the kid grabs the rope and starts to do straight up rows to his chest. Not even close to a face pull. But the coach starts telling him "Awesome man, great job, that's perfect!" So first you try to blow him away by using terms you KNOW he doesn't understand, then when he does the movement completely wrong you're not going to say shit? And this is the video you CHOOSE to put online?

Old 09-01-2014, 04:57 PM   #126
Soldier
Max Brawn

The title of this video is "sport specific training". Evidently he's a fucking lumberjack, because that's the only way this is sport specific. From there the bullshit just doesn't stop. He's doing a circuit of stupid, useless, retarded bullshit. That's the only way I can describe it. He's doing everything crossfit style- SLOW. He's tired, so he's moving slowly. I don't know what sport he plays, it doesn't say, but most sports involve short bursts of explosive movement followed by periods of slower movement. The goal of training should be to PREPARE the athlete to move explosively then recover and prepare for the next bout of fast movement in between when things slow down. Muscular size should be combined with maximal strength training, then that maximal strength should be focused into the speed-strength needed for the specific sport for which you are training, then work capacity and energy systems should be trained so the athlete can be prepared the next time explosive power needs to be expressed on the field.

There is NO SPORT that involves moving slowly and passively all the time. So WHY WOULD YOU TRAIN THAT WAY? They are thoroughly training the oxidative (aerobic) energy system and completely ignoring the ability to actually explode and move fast when the need arises, and in most sports THE FAST PART IS THE PART THAT MATTERS.

This pointless crossfit circuit bullshit is destroying modern performance training. This guy is developing no muscle, and he's thoroughly trained in the skill of moving as slow as possible and reserving his strength. He's going to get destroyed on the field. I hope he didn't pay too much for this "sport specific training".

REMEMBER FOLKS, WORKING HARD DOESN'T MEAN YOU'RE DOING THE RIGHT THING TO IMPROVE PERFORMANCE. That is all.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:42 PM   #127
Likethebaldwin
Brawn
Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows/Bench Press
Fav Supp: Calories over maintenance
Likethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
I was just screwing around on youtube and decided to watch a video from strength camp. It was some "open gym" thing where I guess people get to go in and try things and ask questions. The owner was helping a younger guy who looked like he never lifted once in his life. First he had him do keg walks, then in the next segment he was showing him how to do face pulls. I was like "ok, why is this kid doing face pulls in the first place?", but that's beside the point. Before having the kid start, the coach said to "focus on THORACIC EXTENSION".

Haha, WHAT?

This kid doesn't look like he's lifted more than a bar his whole life and you're going to throw around terms like thoracic extension? Ok bro, you're cool. You're so much smarter than the rest of us and you know such awesome words and shit.

next thing you know the kid grabs the rope and starts to do straight up rows to his chest. Not even close to a face pull. But the coach starts telling him "Awesome man, great job, that's perfect!" So first you try to blow him away by using terms you KNOW he doesn't understand, then when he does the movement completely wrong you're not going to say shit? And this is the video you CHOOSE to put online?

In my experience watching the open gym series of strength camp, Elliot Hulse's narcissism really starts to show through. I don't get the feeling any of the kids are being helped by his advice, but he sure loves hearing himself talk. He draws out his advice forever so he can keep talking, and then just ends up doing the exercise himself so he can show off how awesome he is. I strongly get the feeling he peaked in his youth and is trying to re-create those days via the admiration of skinny young guys. I realize how judgmental this sounds, but I figured it is in the spirit to of random controversial thoughts.

Don't get me wrong, Elliot is accomplished and very strong, just annoying.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #128
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likethebaldwin View Post
I just started a philosophy class this week (so I know everything about everything :P) and our first unit is about arguments for the existence of god.
I've taught that subject as a year-long unit for the past three years. Overall, I've enjoyed the Philosophy as much as my main subject (Psychology).

[/hijack]

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #129
bigalfry
Max Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: Beef
bigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machine

Quote:

The title of this video is "sport specific training". Evidently he's a fucking lumberjack, because that's the only way this is sport specific. From there the bullshit just doesn't stop. He's doing a circuit of stupid, useless, retarded bullshit. That's the only way I can describe it. He's doing everything crossfit style- SLOW. He's tired, so he's moving slowly. I don't know what sport he plays, it doesn't say, but most sports involve short bursts of explosive movement followed by periods of slower movement. The goal of training should be to PREPARE the athlete to move explosively then recover and prepare for the next bout of fast movement in between when things slow down. Muscular size should be combined with maximal strength training, then that maximal strength should be focused into the speed-strength needed for the specific sport for which you are training, then work capacity and energy systems should be trained so the athlete can be prepared the next time explosive power needs to be expressed on the field.

There is NO SPORT that involves moving slowly and passively all the time. So WHY WOULD YOU TRAIN THAT WAY? They are thoroughly training the oxidative (aerobic) energy system and completely ignoring the ability to actually explode and move fast when the need arises, and in most sports THE FAST PART IS THE PART THAT MATTERS.

This pointless crossfit circuit bullshit is destroying modern performance training. This guy is developing no muscle, and he's thoroughly trained in the skill of moving as slow as possible and reserving his strength. He's going to get destroyed on the field. I hope he didn't pay too much for this "sport specific training".

REMEMBER FOLKS, WORKING HARD DOESN'T MEAN YOU'RE DOING THE RIGHT THING TO IMPROVE PERFORMANCE. That is all.
The best part is where he's wearing a shirt that says "EXPLOSIVE".
Deadlift 425
Total = 1061

Meet PRs:
TBD

Training Log:
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17327
bigalfry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #130
Soldier
Max Brawn

I just replied in a thread with a "hell no" meme, then immediately replied in another thread with a "hell yeah" meme. My meme game is on point today.