Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #111
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
My wife and I, both atheists, have had numerous conversations about how sad it is that many Christians can't (or refuse to) see the absolute beauty of nature. All the universe, including our very lives, are a serious of cells, elements, and chemicals randomly bumping into eachother. Our lives are a beautiful coincidence. It's a scary and exciting thing to understand and accept.
Is it all random?

OR is it controlled chaos? A heck of a lot of things work very well together in this mad universe of ours.

The odds of intelligent design versus random events resulting in ( at least semi) perfect order- I know which side I would bet on.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #112
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
Is it all random?

OR is it controlled chaos? A heck of a lot of things work very well together in this mad universe of ours.

The odds of intelligent design versus random events resulting in ( at least semi) perfect order- I know which side I would bet on.
It doesn't seem that perfect to me. The Earth was in perpetual chaos and completely unable to support even single cell life for billions of years. The relative stability of the universe we see today is the reusult of billions upon billions of years of physics and chemistry slowly getting rid of evertying that didn't work. Small bits of rock circling newly formed stars sowly collect together to form planets. An asteroid nails a young Earth and sends so much of the planet up away from us that some of it is reconstituted into a moon. The moon creates tides in the ocean that leave small strips of land submerged in certain parts of the day but exposed other parts of the day, which allows the sea creatures a transitional zone in which they can slowly begin the process of moving out of the water and onto land. All these coincidences lead us here, right now. And even now things are far from perfect. There are easily 10x too many of us humans, and we show no sign of stopping our march towards a fairly inevitable destruction. The scary truth is, the same chemistry and physics that combined iwth coincidence to give us this life on this planet are eventually going to cull us out of the picture as well.

And the real beauty is this; When we are gone, the universe will not bat an eye. God makes is feel special and important, but the truth is we are not, in any way, either of those things. It's only terrifying until you accept it, then it becomes beautiful.

Last edited by Soldier; 08-21-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #113
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Im with SC on this one. People who interpret everything in the Bible as literal are obviously crazy, but I havent found any reason to believe that everything is completely random. Doesnt make sense.This could be a loooong post. Ill leave it at this though.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #114
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Haha, as long as we all remember and understand that we'll NEVER agree on stuff like religion, I think we'll be OK. My main goal, really, is to get people to think and talk, not agree. I have unending respect for everyone here and it really has nothing to do with religion at all. The fact that we can talk about it and acknowledge our different beliefs while still respecting each other is pretty awesome, if I do say so myself.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #115
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Quote:
Haha, as long as we all remember and understand that we'll NEVER agree on stuff like religion, I think we'll be OK. My main goal, really, is to get people to think and talk, not agree. I have unending respect for everyone here and it really has nothing to do with religion at all. The fact that we can talk about it and acknowledge our different beliefs while still respecting each other is pretty awesome, if I do say so myself.
Thats what I like hearing. People who refuse to associate with those who dont go to their church, hahaha, ridiculous.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:43 PM   #116
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Couldn't agree more!! I love this forum. Best on the web- period.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:19 PM   #117
Likethebaldwin
Brawn
Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows/Bench Press
Fav Supp: Calories over maintenance
Likethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributor

I had a lot of ideas about the benefits weight training would bring to my life. Being able to observe and take part in enlightening, compelling, and above all else, REASONABLE discussions about religion and science was not one of them.

Way to go MAB.

Just to be clear, I am saying this forum is awesome.

Last edited by Likethebaldwin; 08-22-2014 at 03:37 AM.
Likethebaldwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #118
bigalfry
Max Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: Beef
bigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likethebaldwin View Post
I had a lot of ideas about the benefits weight training would bring to my life. Being able to observe and take part in enlightening, compelling, and above all else, REASONABLE discussions about religion and science was not one of them.

Way to go MAB.
I too was bracing myself for the shitstorm that follows most science vs religion debates on the internet. The fact that it didn't escalate into a bunch of apes slinging feces over this really shows the quality of the people on this forum.
Deadlift 425
Total = 1061

Meet PRs:
TBD

Training Log:
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17327
bigalfry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #119
Soldier
Max Brawn

Old 08-25-2014, 02:16 AM   #120
Likethebaldwin
Brawn
Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows/Bench Press
Fav Supp: Calories over maintenance
Likethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributor

I just started a philosophy class this week (so I know everything about everything :P) and our first unit is about arguments for the existence of god. We are covering concepts form nearly 10,000 years ago, so it might help to know that this whole conversation about god vs science is actually a time honored human tradition.