Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   advice on which routine to choose (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1538)

strkout35 12-20-2009 06:07 PM

advice on which routine to choose

i've been researching alot about which routine i want to try next. my goal is to increase the big three lifts. right now here's where i stand in them:

Squat: 3x5x175
Dead: 3x5x205
Bench: 3x5x140

Which program do you think would benefit me more, madcows or wendlers 5/3/1?

i really like the way 5/3/1 looks with the rep out set as the last one that really intrigued me and madcows is a standard routine everyone loves so heres the question. which should i choose??

BendtheBar 12-20-2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strkout35 (Post 16067)
i've been researching alot about which routine i want to try next. my goal is to increase the big three lifts. right now here's where i stand in them:

Squat: 3x5x175
Dead: 3x5x205
Bench: 3x5x140

Which program do you think would benefit me more, madcows or wendlers 5/3/1?

i really like the way 5/3/1 looks with the rep out set as the last one that really intrigued me and madcows is a standard routine everyone loves so heres the question. which should i choose??

Personally, I don't think Wendlers is the best choice, just because of where your lifts are at currently. I would rather see you run Madcow until it stops working.

Seek other opinions though.

strkout35 12-20-2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 16072)
Personally, I don't think Wendlers is the best choice, just because of where your lifts are at currently. I would rather see you run Madcow until it stops working.

Seek other opinions though.

i was thinking the same thing actually now that i've been looking around some more. i'm actually leaning more towards starting strength now... i ran it once before but didn't do it justice so i think i might do it right this time and run a log here

kman025 12-20-2009 06:54 PM

i may join you on madcow's... got a link?

BendtheBar 12-20-2009 07:08 PM

I know the old geocities site is dead. If anyone has the programs, email them to me and I'll get it up on MAB.

strkout35 12-20-2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 16080)
I know the old geocities site is dead. If anyone has the programs, email them to me and I'll get it up on MAB.

Bill Starr 5x5 - Madcow Intermediate or Linear Version

here's a copy of the original program...

i think i'm going to do rippetoes starting strength till i get my lifts up then move onto madcows sound good?

BendtheBar 12-20-2009 07:19 PM

What's Rips' full beginner routine. It's been a while since I read the book(s).

strkout35 12-20-2009 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 16082)
What's Rips' full beginner routine. It's been a while since I read the book(s).

Monday Wednesday Friday alternating ABA BAB...

A
Squat- 3x5
Bench-3x5
Deadlift-1x5

B
Squat- 3x5
Standing Overhead Press- 3x5
Powercleans or BB rows- 3x5 (i would do rows)

Increase upper body lifts by 5 for each workout, lower body by ten. i would most likely increase squats by 5 for each workout because last time i did it i increase by ten and stalled real quick since he has you squatting 3x a week

BendtheBar 12-20-2009 07:41 PM

Ah, yes. Thanks for posting it. I think you're safe either way. I would run the one you prefer. BTW, Madcow:

Bill Starr 5x5: Linear Version for Intermediate Lifters

strkout35 12-20-2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 16085)
Ah, yes. Thanks for posting it. I think you're safe either way. I would run the one you prefer. BTW, Madcow:

Bill Starr 5x5: Linear Version for Intermediate Lifters

glad i could help, and yeah i'm gonna run the starting strength routine i'll start up a log after my week off, since i haven't taken one in a long long time