Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
Bronco
Cool Guy
Brawn
Points: 1,448, Level: 21 Points: 1,448, Level: 21 Points: 1,448, Level: 21
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken
Bronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributor
Default Cramping problems

often when i go for a heavy set on the bench press, near failure, either one or both of my hamstrings or my lower back cramp up like hell.

usually, it's with pretty low reps. like tonight i did 3 reps and thought i might have a fourth, but my lower back cramped up and i knew i'd fail. i don't remember it being so much a problem when i go for say 10 reps, even if it's maximal effort.

i don't know, when i think cramping my mind goes to dehydration or vitamins or something. but this only happens with bench. i never get cramping doing squats or deadlifts. so, maybe a form issue? flexibility?

i tried stretching my hamstrings before benching today, and come to think of it, it was my lower back that cramped up.

thoughts?
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #2
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
often when i go for a heavy set on the bench press, near failure, either one or both of my hamstrings or my lower back cramp up like hell.

usually, it's with pretty low reps. like tonight i did 3 reps and thought i might have a fourth, but my lower back cramped up and i knew i'd fail. i don't remember it being so much a problem when i go for say 10 reps, even if it's maximal effort.

i don't know, when i think cramping my mind goes to dehydration or vitamins or something. but this only happens with bench. i never get cramping doing squats or deadlifts. so, maybe a form issue? flexibility?

i tried stretching my hamstrings before benching today, and come to think of it, it was my lower back that cramped up.

thoughts?
I have the same issue off and on and I have found that electrolyes and minera supplements help some, I always have a couple of grams of magnesium before training and a multi mineral supp. I also had some sucess with squatting very light before benching to get blood flowing in hte lower body and to get loosend up.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:47 AM   #3
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
I also had some sucess with squatting very light before benching to get blood flowing in hte lower body and to get loosend up.
Neat idea, thanks. Not that I've got to the sort of bench press weights where it might matter yet, but still, I'll keep this one in mind for that day.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
JTurner
Max Brawn
Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

I get hips cramps quite often benching but that's usually because I've squatted/deadlifted heavy beforehand, not sure whether that would be the same for you.

As for lower back, if you really force arching without bracing your mid section, especially your abs, then you end up driving your legs into over-extending your lower back. I used to do that a lot and it would cramp my lower back up and mess up anything after bench. Again might not be the same for you.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
Bronco
Cool Guy
Brawn

Bronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
I have the same issue off and on and I have found that electrolyes and minera supplements help some, I always have a couple of grams of magnesium before training and a multi mineral supp. I also had some sucess with squatting very light before benching to get blood flowing in hte lower body and to get loosend up.
thanks, i'll try that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
I get hips cramps quite often benching but that's usually because I've squatted/deadlifted heavy beforehand, not sure whether that would be the same for you.

As for lower back, if you really force arching without bracing your mid section, especially your abs, then you end up driving your legs into over-extending your lower back. I used to do that a lot and it would cramp my lower back up and mess up anything after bench. Again might not be the same for you.
i always start off with heavy benching on those days.
i don't understand what you mean by "force arching without bracing your mid section...". but it sounds like the sort of thing i'm worried about. i'm pretty new to the arching and leg drive stuff so there's a good chance that i'm doing something wrong.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
JTurner
Max Brawn
Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post

i always start off with heavy benching on those days.
i don't understand what you mean by "force arching without bracing your mid section...". but it sounds like the sort of thing i'm worried about. i'm pretty new to the arching and leg drive stuff so there's a good chance that i'm doing something wrong.
I just meant that a lot of people drive with their legs but never think to get their stomach tight like with a squat which usually means they overextend their lower back. It's what I used to do anyway, and it killed my lower back.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
Hywelbane
Max Brawn
Points: 3,145, Level: 34 Points: 3,145, Level: 34 Points: 3,145, Level: 34
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Training Exp: 8
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Condense
Hywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master member

How is your hamstring flexibility? When my hamstrings/lower back cramp on my bench press it's almost always because of tight hamstrings.

Hywelbane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
Bronco
Cool Guy
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
I just meant that a lot of people drive with their legs but never think to get their stomach tight like with a squat which usually means they overextend their lower back. It's what I used to do anyway, and it killed my lower back.
i've never thought about stomach tightness either.
i'll definitely try to think about that next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hywelbane View Post
How is your hamstring flexibility? When my hamstrings/lower back cramp on my bench press it's almost always because of tight hamstrings.
i do think my hamstrings are terribly inflexible.
i guess i should work on that.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #9
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

I used to get cramps in my hamstrings benching. Now I supplement with E-Lyte. It has potassium, sodium, and magnesium in it. You also need calcium, but I drink a lot of milk for that. It has worked for me.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
KCStrongmanben
TEAM MAB
Max Brawn
Points: 3,270, Level: 35 Points: 3,270, Level: 35 Points: 3,270, Level: 35
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 20
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
KCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributor

I swear by 3-5g of taurine per day. Jeff Frank turned me in to it and I haven't had cramps when taking it since
Muscle and Brawn
KCStrongmanben is offline   Reply With Quote