Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
Panda
New Brawn
Points: 323, Level: 6 Points: 323, Level: 6 Points: 323, Level: 6
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
Panda is off to a good startPanda is off to a good startPanda is off to a good startPanda is off to a good startPanda is off to a good start
Default New here, need some advice !

Hello everyone ! I'm new here (and i dont even know if I post this in the right section but...)!
I always check on the MAB website for info and tips and i was saying to myself...Why not ! A forum ! cool !

So here I go !

I have limited equipement... a cheap gym (machine/dumbell/ and....smith machine(dont worry...i dont use it)

And I have my Home gym: barbell and 300-400 pounds of weights... and a Squat rack(works very well for bench too) ... *But my bar are shorter than oly bar...

My problem... what training split or method should I take if I'm re-starting strength training after an injury, only have barbell at home, and at gym have everything except a barbell.... I dont know where to go anymore !

My current split is for getting back my old strength and getting muscle that I've lost in the recovery

push/pull/off/arms/legs

I use to do bulldozer style training at home with my bench day done with dumbbell... :/ because short bar.... I am willing to buy oly bar.

Any suggestion ?

PS: oly weihgtlifting seems interisting too.. like strongman training/power/oly..... well....

Thx for any suggestion
Have a nice day !!

-Phil
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Personally I am a massive fan of fullbody typr routines, especially coming back after a lay off. There isnt too much work on a particular muscle, joint or tendons and it allows for good recovery if you train only 2 or 3 times per week.

It sounds like you have a really good set up with plates etc and the fact that your BB isnt Oly doesnt really matter IMO..

Just get a decent routine from on here and work yourself back in slowly, I am recently back from a long lay off and still taking it steady, but the strength comes back quickly, just dont push it!

just my 2p worth
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
OHDL
Max Brawn
Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Skwattzz
Fav Supp: Milk
OHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beast

If you give your current lifts someone more experienced than I would probably have an easier time helping you

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

- Christopher Hitchens
OHDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
stockdoc
Brawn
Points: 885, Level: 15 Points: 885, Level: 15 Points: 885, Level: 15
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: squat
stockdoc has made some good postsstockdoc has made some good postsstockdoc has made some good postsstockdoc has made some good postsstockdoc has made some good postsstockdoc has made some good postsstockdoc has made some good postsstockdoc has made some good postsstockdoc has made some good postsstockdoc has made some good postsstockdoc has made some good posts

It all depends on your injury but let's assume you're fully recovered.I believe a full body workout is probably the best way to get back in shape.It certainly worked for me,after 9 months of very inconsistent KB training I started this type of training and after only 8 workouts (this equals a month in my case)I'm back where I left.Only now I'm totally refreshed,painfree and hungry to hit the weights every time.I think a simple workout using compound exercises is the way,rather then using a more elaborate split program.You'll find plenty of these on this site besides the usual 5x5,starting strenght,wendlers and what have you.
Anyway good luck to you!
stockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Panda
New Brawn

Panda is off to a good startPanda is off to a good startPanda is off to a good startPanda is off to a good startPanda is off to a good start

5x5 would be very interesting since I almost only have a barbell at home. And my gym kind of suck (machine+dumbbell)

Thx for the responses by the way people !
I was wondering too, i have way to train legs, back, deadlift, arms really greatly but i find it hard to work my chest some time. With only a barbell and a flat bench what would be a complete chest workout :/ if you dont mind helping me out on that (more powerlifting oriented)

My OLD(stregth)home push routine was something like that:

Bench press: 3-5 reps 5-7set
Floor Press: 5x5
Military press or behind the head press: 4x6-8
Lateral raise with light dumbbell superset with/ rear dealt raise: 3x10-15
Kettlebell work: Snatch... press....
Push up.....

I only feels like it missed something on my chest...
It look like I dont know how to work the beach muscle ahah!
Old 10-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
With only a barbell and a flat bench what would be a complete chest workout :/ if you dont mind helping me out on that (more powerlifting oriented)
My advice would be to do barbell bench press and push ups. You can do floor presses as well. Those 3 lifts will work well. Dumbbell bench would be a great choice to add when you someday purchase dumbbells.

If you do a full body, for chest you could do:

Monday - Press 5x5
Wednesday - Push ups 3-5 sets x max
Friday - Floor Press 3x10

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Panda
New Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

If you do a full body, for chest you could do:

Monday - Press 5x5
Wednesday - Push ups 3-5 sets x max
Friday - Floor Press 3x10
Seems very interresting... I've never tried full body workout in the powerlifting way

Would be very interesting how you approch it, what do you use as a common split ?? I was thinking mayby, oly lifting + bench on monday ... I've always wanted to incorporate oly lifting in a powelifting method..

And, I love how I'm all new here, and a lot of people comment, really cool forum

I've just read the article about German volume training... I'm thinking mayby for building great mass of muscle it would be great to save myself from injuries, then slowly build a powerlifting, oly full body 3 day routine, with home equipement like bendthebar said.

November/December: volume training: german to add muscle mass and burn fat, heal correctly from injuries (I would do 3x day week with a bonus day if I feel good for only do Deadlift)

January/february: 3-4 day full body powerlifting/oly lifting full body routine with high intensity but no volume

I've heard Oly lifter and powerlifter use German volume to help them in strength....

What all you thinks about that ???
Or mayby I'll switch the german of any other Volume(little bodybuilding) oriented split till december.... If fact its more to allow me to get all of my gear for my ''home gym''

Last edited by Panda; 10-28-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #8
Panda
New Brawn

I've work something out, i'll make a post to have your advice on it