Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Squat "Musts"

There are many lifting sources that tell you when squatting you MUST:

1) Sit back
2) Never break at the knees
3) Never let your knees go past your toes
4) Use low bar
5) Use a wider stance
6) Look forward and slightly down
7) Etc. (Pick your favorite tip)

I break at the knees, I don't drive my hips back, I let my knees go past my toes, I use high bar, I hate wide stance, and I will never look slightly down as I believe in driving my head up violently from the hole.

Point: these "rules" aren't rules, but rather opinions. I have been squatting for 28 years, focus on keeping things natural and tight, and seem to be doing ok despite doing everything wrong.

Good form for you may involve breaking all these rules.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-01-2013 at 01:35 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Wesker
Brawn
Points: 428, Level: 8 Points: 428, Level: 8 Points: 428, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 9 months
Training Type: Get In Shape
Fav Exercise: Dumbbell Bench Press
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
Wesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good posts

How convenient, I was just about to start a thread about squatting.

I have a question.

How can I learn to squat (and Deadlift) on my own? It's kind of difficult being my own coach. I had my first go today. I actually liked it! Been dreading it for months. Except for the nausea, it went quite well. I don't know anybody who can squat or deadlift. They're all Leg Pressers.
Wesker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesker View Post

I have a question.

How can I learn to squat (and Deadlift) on my own? It's kind of difficult being my own coach. I had my first go today. I actually liked it! Been dreading it for months. Except for the nausea, it went quite well. I don't know anybody who can squat or deadlift. They're all Leg Pressers.
First thing you want to do is start with a natural feel. My advice it to:

1) Get in a position like you were going to jump. This will be a natural foot width and your toes will likely be angled out 15 to 30 degrees.

2) Place your hands against your chest.

3) Now pretend there's a quarter on the ground 6 to 12 inches in front of your feet. Using both hands, squat down, reaching between your legs like you were going to pick up that quarter.

You will likely hit depth naturally. Reaching between your legs allows them to move out slightly (and naturally) as they should during a squat.

The opposite is the knees forward squat, which is popular in bodybuilding and fitness circles. This is not what you want, and it typically hinders depth for many reasons.

Now practice this with a dumbbell against your chest. This is called a goblet squat. Once you feel comfortable with this movement you should move on to barbell squats.

Going too light on barbell squats will make it hard to keep decent form, so you want a moderate weight that allows you to work on form without killing yourself. Grab the bar tight, keep your back and core tight, and practice.

This is a good start.

From here it's probably best to start posting videos of your squat so folks can help you.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
brad1224
Max Brawn
Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46

brad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machine

my biggest thing is pple not going all the way down or at least parallel! esp when they keep adding plates. GTFO

wesker honestly this is no scientific way of explaining it but just the easiest way. first for squats just get under the bar use shoulder width stance and just keep chest up and ass out and just sit down like your going to sit in a chair that is on the ground.

for deads its almost the exact opposite u start at the ground like your in a seated position then explode up like your coming out of a squat then when the bar basts your knees lock it out. just keep your back straight no arch! and dont try and go crazy heavy till you got the form. keep chest up also and look straight or up.

easiest way to tell someone how to do it may not be exactly by the book but just real life experience

***AAEFX REP***

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
brad1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
MadScientistOfMaB
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,663, Level: 23 Points: 1,663, Level: 23 Points: 1,663, Level: 23
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Chaos & Pain
Fav Exercise: Squat, push-press
Fav Supp: Mr. Hyde & whiskey
MadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesker View Post

I have a question.

There is a great article on Lift-Run-Bang. It should be under the most popular tab. What I gathered is try out different things and take written notes on how each feels.
Experimentation is the word of the day here, and you're going to be like a mad scientist, tinkering with your diet until you've turned yourself into a massive, world-destroying robot bent on nothing short of the subjugation and destruction of the entire human race.
-Jamie Lewis (Chaos&Pain)

Nothing exceeds like excess.

HT: 5'10" WT: 220
Deadlift 455 Squat 405
Bench 355 Push-press 275
MadScientistOfMaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Wesker
Brawn
Points: 428, Level: 8 Points: 428, Level: 8 Points: 428, Level: 8

Training Exp: 9 months
Training Type: Get In Shape
Fav Exercise: Dumbbell Bench Press
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
Wesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good posts

My biggest problem was with the deadlift. Going up past the knees, then I locked out, but when I went down I couldn't really get a normal feel for doing it, while keeping a straight back. It just felt akward. First try, so no surprise it didn't come natural right from the get go. I'll keep at it.

I will probably post a video, before lifting heavy. Always nice with feedback.

I will also practice with goblet squats. I used a barbell today, but I can imagine it will get excruciatingly hard continuing power cleaning up to my shoulders (and dangerous). No squat rack yet.

Btw. I was looking at squat racks today. Do I need a full rack or is a half rack safe.
I was looking at this one http://www.sportsmaster.no/~/media/R...ektstativ.ashx

The full rack looks safer, but 3 x price. Whats the practical difference?
Wesker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Focus on keeping things natural and tight.
This.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
bb12
Hulk!
Max Brawn
Points: 7,232, Level: 56 Points: 7,232, Level: 56 Points: 7,232, Level: 56
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

bb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributor

I really need to start implementing some your guys workouts into what I do to shock some serious growth!
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com

My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of All American EFX and they are my own.
bb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
Adamite1114
Max Brawn
Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: on and off 7 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor

I've only tried wide stance a couple times. It just feels so unnatural. I didn't like it at all.
Adamite1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #10
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

The only must I have with a squat is to bury it. I may sacrifice a few pounds of resistance, as opposed to going just below parallel, but being called on depth on my opener at my last meet was devastating to me and I vowed from that point on to never allow that to happen again.

Sorry, one more must-ish. I always check my bar path and if it is straight up and down or very close to it, I know my form was very good. Forward lean on a squat is taboo for me.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote