Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Inverted Rows (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490)

Fire36 12-15-2009 12:36 PM

Inverted Rows
 
Ok Guys I'm trying to find something to replace the inverted row I am doing now. Don't really feel its benefiting me, I seem to be stuck on the same amount of reps as when I started.

Is there another exercise that is comparable to this, that will help my back and shoulders. I need to find something to help me get stronger in shoulders and back when lifting the 45 pound hose roll up 45 feet, on rope hand over hand.

Thanks for any help

BendtheBar 12-15-2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire36 (Post 15341)
Ok Guys I'm trying to find something to replace the inverted row I am doing now. Don't really feel its benefiting me, I seem to be stuck on the same amount of reps as when I started.

Is there another exercise that is comparable to this, that will help my back and shoulders. I need to find something to help me get stronger in shoulders and back when lifting the 45 pound hose roll up 45 feet, on rope hand over hand.

Thanks for any help

When you say inverted rows, do you mean "palms forward" Yate's style rows?

Have you tried to do them more as power rows, exploding the weight up...or do you perform them with strict form?

Fire36 12-15-2009 01:48 PM

OK maybe I'm not doing them right at all. I'm doing an "inverted row" with my feet on a bench and a barbell in the rack ( squat or power depending on where i am at, fire station or gym), basically i'm at a 45 degree angle and pulling my body weight up as many reps as I can for 3 sets. So its 3 x BW to faliure.

I may be way off track but that is what I understood this exercise to be.

BendtheBar 12-15-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire36 (Post 15346)
OK maybe I'm not doing them right at all. I'm doing an "inverted row" with my feet on a bench and a barbell in the rack ( squat or power depending on where i am at, fire station or gym), basically i'm at a 45 degree angle and pulling my body weight up as many reps as I can for 3 sets. So its 3 x BW to faliure.

I may be way off track but that is what I understood this exercise to be.

I understand what you mean now.

I'm not an expert on bodyweight style training, but I wonder if slow negative - possible weighted - inverted rows would help...

Grim83 12-15-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 15348)
I understand what you mean now.

I'm not an expert on bodyweight style training, but I wonder if slow negative - possible weighted - inverted rows would help...

i have to agree here, back when i got sick i couldn't lift traditionally, so i began sneaking in some bodyweight stuff so i didn't go crazy, inverted rows were a corner stone of that routine, but i also hit a wall as far as reps with bodyweight went, but when i added some weight (i just threw a few plates in an old back pack) it really helped my numbers explode

Fire36 12-15-2009 03:24 PM

Thanks Guys, I will be doing inverted rows again with my Friday workout and will give this a try. Tommorow gets OHP, and pull ups.

Friday will be next day I do rows, and instead of pushups will be doing dips.

BendtheBar 12-15-2009 07:40 PM

I don't know if farmer's walk would help too?

Fire36 12-16-2009 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 15404)
I don't know if farmer's walk would help too?

Thanks, I have wondered this too, I may try to incorporate this closer to when the season starts.

MattB 12-17-2009 12:57 AM

If I am thinking of inverted rows as the same thing as rack chins, then it is very similar to pullups. Have you tried mixing your rep range. I like to sit a DB or barbell in my lap to make the lift harder and to gain more out of it. If not look into switching it out for pullups or even other free weight barbell exercises(Deadlifts,Barbell Rows,etc). IMO they all have a carry over to functional strength that would benefit you.

Eric 12-17-2009 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattB (Post 15620)
If I am thinking of inverted rows as the same thing as rack chins, then it is very similar to pullups. Have you tried mixing your rep range. I like to sit a DB or barbell in my lap to make the lift harder and to gain more out of it. If not look into switching it out for pullups or even other free weight barbell exercises(Deadlifts,Barbell Rows,etc). IMO they all have a carry over to functional strength that would benefit you.

agreed. add weight.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.