Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member
Default Let it sink in

Question about sinking the bar in your chest...the way Dan green does...is that legal? I've noticed myself being a victim of this in training once I'm around 450-475. Any thoughts on this?

GT Barbell
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

I saw that vid where he's training and does that. I figured it was just a touch and go type deal. That or Dan Green doesn't use a slingshot, Dan Green is a slingshot.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
zach90
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,786, Level: 24 Points: 1,786, Level: 24 Points: 1,786, Level: 24
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 6 years
Fav Exercise: curls... lol jk DEADS
Fav Supp: moe food
zach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributor

he does it in comp so it must be. at least in the feds he competes in
zach90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I saw Burley Hawk doing it at his meet. It almost looked like a pause and bro bounce. Curious to see Dan's bench. Have a video of this?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
KD5NFW
13 in 15
Max Brawn
Points: 12,466, Level: 73 Points: 12,466, Level: 73 Points: 12,466, Level: 73
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: yes
Fav Supp: meat
KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!

It's not supposed to be legal but you know how that goes. Ask Squatter about letting the bar sink into his chest. Earned himself some red lights
KD5NFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

It's apparently legal in USAPL which is pretty strict, or at least I watched a few guys who used the technique openly and got away with it. I think the key is to lower all the way into your chest and stop completely then have the bar go only up at the press command. I've seen some people not control the bar and dip it down into their chest after the press command which is a no no, or have their chest come up but the bar not move, so it looks like it dips which is also a no no. The bar has to be under control at all times and only move up after the press.

A guy in my flight was really good at it and he explained to me why he does it. He said he lowers an inch or so into his chest, then at the press command he drives and flexs his chest muscles which is supposed to break the inertia of the bar by pushing it out of his chest, thereby getting a nudge on the bar to help get it started. Seemed to work well for him. He pressed 335@198

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
KD5NFW
13 in 15
Max Brawn

KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!

From NASA's rulebook:

Causes for Disqualification of a Bench Press

4. Heaving or bouncing the bar off the chest.
5. Allowing the bar to sink into the chest after receiving the Chief Referee's signal.

Seems maybe there is a fine line between those two rules where it could be sunk into the chest and still be a good lift? I guess it depends on the definition of "heaving".
Old 09-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
IainK
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 20
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

You can sink the bar into the chest as part of your downward movement prior to the press comand. Any downward movement after the press command is cause for a 'no lift'.

I don't see why you should be expected to hover the bar just touching the chest and not allowing any indentation in the chest
Old 09-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
Beverly McD
Max Brawn
Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: Since 1987
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

In the APF you can let it sink in as far as you choose to.
Once you stop the downward motion you get the press command. At that point the bar is only allowed to move up.
You can expand your chest to give yourself some drive off of your chest (bar moves up from this).
But, after the command, you cannot dip the bar once more into the chest (downward movement) and then drive it up. That would be considered a "heave".
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
KD5NFW
13 in 15
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly McD View Post
In the APF you can let it sink in as far as you choose to.
Once you stop the downward motion you get the press command. At that point the bar is only allowed to move up.
You can expand your chest to give yourself some drive off of your chest (bar moves up from this).
But, after the command, you cannot dip the bar once more into the chest (downward movement) and then drive it up. That would be considered a "heave".
Thanks for the clarification on this