Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Nowthat I see it, it's minor....

I think you attack the reps to fast and don't set your back completely before you pull.

Try pulling yourself into position. Pull enough to feel the weight without lifting it and focus on a deep arch. then reduce the weight and try a few pulls while replicating the back arch. This way you can focus on the spine without worrying about the weight.

I am also fairly long-torsoed and tight...trust me, a "proper" arch will feel awkward and exaggerated until you get in the groove.

Last edited by jdmalm123; 08-11-2013 at 05:41 PM.
jdmalm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
CODY_SNIDER
Cody
Max Brawn
Points: 2,673, Level: 31 Points: 2,673, Level: 31 Points: 2,673, Level: 31
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: The big 3
CODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributor

conventional looked good. Sumo try to widen your stance some and point your toes out a little. You need to really force your knees out bringing your hips closer to the bar at the beginning of the pull. Both looked pretty good but I would have liked to seen a few heavier attempts.
CODY_SNIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
ruelisla
How to be big and strong
New Brawn
Points: 249, Level: 4 Points: 249, Level: 4 Points: 249, Level: 4
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: deadlift
ruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greu View Post
I've filmed my conventional deadlift and my sumo deadlift.

I can't seem to have more quad drive AND maintain my lower back straight. I just can't...

What advice would you offer me to improve my deadlift form and from the videos, which do you think is more better for me between the conventional and sumo?

Thank you in advance!
You did good on your conventional deadlift, the only problem is your preparation took so long. What you should do is when you are wrapping your arms on the bar. try to kneel when your wrapping your arms. so that your back is on rest so before you start deadlifting your lower back is not tense. Your starting position should be your sheen should be touching the bar and chest out and it should look like your in a squat position.

Your sumo deadlift, your feet should be more wider. it looks like your feet position is same as your conventional deadlift. Because in sumo the one that is working is your glutes and inner thighs not much on your lower back so that is why your leegs is wide apart.

Check the free report by clicking here ===>http://tinyurl.com/mavyeh9

Free Muscle Building Video Reveals “Hardgainers Nutrition & Training Guide To Get Big & Lean In Less Time”

Check the video by clicking here ===> http://tinyurl.com/kromgsv
ruelisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #14
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

You're not completely tightening your back on either of these lifts. I'd be willing to bet that if you posted a maximal pull that your hips would fire up first and your torso would jerk forward throwing your shoulders in front of the bar and causing the lift to feel very "long" and like it involves a lot of lower back.

It can be difficult to pinpoint subtle technical mistakes from video without maximal weight, unless they are glaringly obvious. Yours aren't. Overall they are pretty good.

To get your back tight, pull yourself down to the bar pulling the slack out of it. Engage your lats, traps, rhomboids, and spinal erectors (aka your entire back) before you begin the pull.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #15
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66

Training Exp: 15
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

You're build would lead me to believe that conventional Deadlift is probably the way to go if you are interested in pulling maximal weight. The weights in the video should be closer to max weight in order to better assess form. Having said that your lumbar spine is rounded a little too much. Your lumbar spine should be as close to neutral as possible. This is probably both a technical as well as core strength issue for you. Sumo you should take your stance out. Pack your neck hard pulling sumo when you break the floor. You also need to learn how to get tight too.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #16
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66

Training Exp: 15
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast
Default Please critique form - deadlift

This is really good stuff on Deadlift setup.