Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member
Default Starting the powerlifting journey

There may be a thread already, I didn't see one but I didn't do a full search either. This thread is meant to be for those considering a foray into powerlifting.

Share with garage lifters and bodybuilders proper form for each of the lifts. Also describe any techniques ir tips you have for improving the lift. What are the key areas to watch in each lift? What are the pros and comes of conventional vs sumo deads? Etc, etc.....

Do you see where I am going? There is a great thread on the first meet. Now lets create one on the steps before the first meet.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I'll start and add some simple tips as I think of them.

Deadlifts. Most lifters pull up on the bar. This creates a tendency to keep the shoulders forward, causing the hips to come up.

When you pull think about pulling up and back towards the body instead.

Squat and Deadlift Lockouts. Hips are your power source. Drive your hips forward to lockout these lifts.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

I'll add that for squat lockouts, you'll notice videos of the ubermen, their whole squat is sort of one speed. This is especially true of those I see in suits. However, check out BtB or a Lilliebridge when they have submaximal weight on the bar. You'll notice the bar pops up a little or at least bends and flexes as their speed increases at the top.

The slowness on max lifts isn't something to strive for, its something that happens. Always try for speed, and punch through at lockout. Let the weight take care of itself.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

What about warm ups for a meet? One of the coaches at the meet told me I missed my second bench because I warmed up to heavy.

Is there some approx % of your opener you should be using to warm up??

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Paradox
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

Deadlifts. Most lifters pull up on the bar. This creates a tendency to keep the shoulders forward, causing the hips to come up.
I'll add to this, as it's along the same lines:

The deadlift isn't a jerking motion. Violently ripping up on the bar is how bicep tears happen. The deadlift should be a pull, as it's often referred to. Pull the slack out of the bar (if there is any to pull up) with a strong, consistent motion, then fucking accelerate the shit out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeheep View Post
What about warm ups for a meet? One of the coaches at the meet told me I missed my second bench because I warmed up to heavy.

Is there some approx % of your opener you should be using to warm up??
Everyone will be different. Unless you did something absurd like warm up to your opener or something 5 lbs less, there is no way that coach can say for sure that you warmed up too much. I like taking my last warm up at about 10-15kg less than my opener for squats, which is something like 5 or 6% of my max.

Again, to add to this, don't be scared to take a LOT of warm up sets in order to make sure you're hitting proper positions. I'll often take one plate for 5 or 6 sets of 3-5 reps before I move up on my squat warm up. The extra volume, no matter how light, doesn't hurt either. I'll also take a set extra or two at higher weights during warm ups. For instance, if I open at 210kg on a squat, I may go:

60kg x 3 x 5 sets
90kg x 3
120kg x 3
140 kg x 3 x 2 sets
160kg x 2
180kg x 2 x 1 set, x 1 x 1 set
195kg x 1

It really depends on how I'm feeling.

Last edited by Paradox; 07-12-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

A couple of resources. Email me others and I will add them to the list.

Big Workout Plan

Powerlifting 101

Powerlifting 101: Why You Need to Compete?Now

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

Quote:
Everyone will be different. Unless you did something absurd like warm up to your opener or something 5 lbs less, there is no way that coach can say for sure that you warmed up too much.
Even more absurd...warmed up to 5 lbs less than my opener....for a double....my theory was..."think of the confidence I will have"

Hey....when you dont know....you dont know.....thats why I asked.

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

One I've found to work for myself recently: On bench presses, try to get through the eccentric movement quickly, unless you can not control the bar. If you can go fast and with control, you'll be able to press with more power after the pause.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

If you workout by yourself, or with a group that aren't powerlifters, you really should be video'ing your lifts regularly. Form is so important on all the powerlifts and you will progress faster and better if you can see yourself or even better have others who know more critique your lifts.

Brute's point is also very important in my opinion. Explosiveness with all your lifts is very important. That max single has to recruit as much muscle as you can command right from the get go. Even deadlifting, where you might be slow off the ground, but you need to be accelerating as you go or you won't get that max attempt. Producing a max effort really is a skill that has to be honed by always going for more speed on all your lifts, even warmups in my opinion.

Tips that helped me progress with each lift even though I work by myself.

Squats: Take ALL reps to legal depth or lower.

Bench: Lockout every rep, and also hold the bar as tight as you can trying to bend it with your pinkies down toward your feet.

Deadlift: Get really tight! But what do I know, I suck at deadlifts. Haha.

Volume on each lift is more important than accesory lifts unless you have a clear weakness that needs to be addressed.

Just my .02

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
JBrown
Brawn
Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

Yea I agree with Mike and others about form. Invest a few bucks on a trainer who lifts a shit ton and has a good reputation, preferably from a powerlifting gym. So far this has outweighed and lifting gear or supplement I've purchased. Hard work is insignificant and a waste of time if lifts aren't performed properly. You'll end up hurt and taking up crochet.
JBrown is online now   Reply With Quote