Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
I'd take on gunfire for that opportunity.

Please know I don't mean that. I respect your service tremendously, my dad fought in WW2. I was too much of a pussy to join.
Haha, don't worry about it. I work with communications equipment. The sh## has to REALLY hit the fan for me to ever get fired at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrwdslv View Post
By commitment, I meant, if you find you can't take the coach, are you in shit if you just stop showing up/walk away.

As others said, it's an opportunity, as with everything in the military, he may come off like a douche at first, but after you get to know him, he may be a better guy than you think.. heck, one of the Sgts I thought was an obnoxious prick at first is now one of the few guys I respect!
Yeah, I'm sure I can quit whenever. Especially if the coach and I don't see eye to eye. He's a retired first Sgt, I'm sure he'd understand.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #12
ndrwdslv
Max Brawn
Points: 3,978, Level: 40 Points: 3,978, Level: 40 Points: 3,978, Level: 40
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Lactose-free Milk
ndrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machine

Then go for it as others said!
ndrwdslv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:07 AM   #13
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I trained in a gym on base that I've never been in before, and I learned that Ft. Hood actually has a powerlifting team that trains there. The coach started talking to me (to let me know that the chalk bucket I had just used belonged to the team. He didn't seem to mind that I used it though) and I asked about joining. He immediately made a horrible impression by telling me that my deadlift form was "f#cked up", then followed me to my bar and started telling me what I was doing and what I would change.

Let's just say that I don't like people telling me what to do, or to start by telling me that I'm f#cked up. I'm in the Army. I get that plenty.

BUT, I'm still interested in joining the team. There is one caveat though; they compete in the USAPL, which means all tested, all natty. In fact, when I told him that Stan Efferding used a similar technique to the one I use when he totaled 2300+ raw, he said that no man has ever totaled over 2300 raw, and implied that it was because he didn't count it if people weren't tested.

I call bullshit. The strongest men in the world use steroids, and I HATE roid bashers. It's all jealousy if you ask me.

But that being said, if I find that I like the team and believe in what they are doing, I'll go natty at least for a while. It may be worth it for the opportunity to work with other people and learn from people face to face.

I'm not sure if I'll actually join the team or not, but I was told to come out Monday if I want to join. I'm going to go and check things out and make my decision from there.

What do you guys think? I've always trained alone. I don't trust other people and I'm a bit of a know-it-all, so it may be positive for me to learn to listen to someone else, as painful as it may be.
Do it. You will only learn and grow from the experience. Best thing I ever did for my lifting was seek out the guidance of an experienced powerlifter. It seems like a no-brainer to me.

Guys in leadership positions in the military are mostly blowhard bigots who have egos that are too fragile to be challenged anyway. I would try and suck it up, and just go along for the learning experience. Try not to take their lack of people skills personally. After all, it's only temporary.

And that dig on higher ups in the military is experience talking, not a dislike on military. I spent 9 years in the Marine Corps myself, and got out as an E-6.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote