Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Paradox
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast
Default Need quick Strongman help

Hey all,

I just decided I'm doing a strongman competition on July 28th. Myself and another guy are going to have an event day on the two Sundays that are left before the competition, and we may also do some log press work throughout the week. My current training schedule:

Monday AM
Bench
Close Grip Bench
Light Accessory

Monday PM
Squat
Front Squat
Light Accessory

Wednesday AM
Deadlift
Light Accessory

Wednesday PM
Bench
Close Grip Bench
Light Accessory

Friday AM
Bench
Close Grip Bench
Light Accessory

Friday PM
Squat
Front Squat
Light Accessory

Saturday will be removed.

Sunday
Event Day

Thinking about changing the benching on Wednesday to log pressing.

The events for the competition are:

Log Press Medley
Atlas Stones
Truck Pull
Farmers Walks
Tire Flip

Not sure on the details of the events. Our Sundays will likely then involve stones, walks and flips.

Any thoughts? Advice on either progression or technique?
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Log Press Medley
Atlas Stones
Truck Pull
Farmers Walks
Tire Flip
You are very short on time so just work on technique and speed the time you got left!

Its hard to tell you how to train for this comp with that little time, but just get used to the events and try to nail your technique down on the one's you feel uncertain about to get an advantage.

Also, I would not pull or squat heavy the two weeks leading in to the comp. A freash lower back and posterior chain will take you far! I always take complete rest for about a week leading in to a comp to be 100% recovered, and that also sets my mind right.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

You have 20 days until the contest which isn't a whole lot of time. I would run events and technique training as much as you can until the week before and then rest.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Paradox
Max Brawn

Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

That's what I was thinking, thanks guys.

For those events, do either of you (or others) have specific technique tips that might be helpful?

EDIT: I should add that I don't expect to do well. I'm a powerlifter, who isn't even that particularly strong, just somewhat good AT powerlifting. I'll be against some powerlifters that are just strong, and a bunch of guys who are actually strongman competitors. That said, I still want to go in doing the best I can do personally. Shit will be fun!

Last edited by Paradox; 07-08-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

For those events, do either of you (or others) have specific technique tips that might be helpful?

EDIT: I should add that I don't expect to do well. I'm a powerlifter, who isn't even that particularly strong, just somewhat good AT powerlifting. I'll be against some powerlifters that are just strong, and a bunch of guys who are actually strongman competitors. That said, I still want to go in doing the best I can do personally. Shit will be fun!
If you get some time with the implements, you can do pretty well. Get some tacky for the stones, and prepare for pain. That shit hurts!
Old 07-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

On the Log Press try to initiate as much leg drive as possible to last longer. Explode the press and do quick cleans!

Atlas Stones - Cover your arms and hands in tacky, then strength will take you far!

Farmers - Try to get a good start. Grip the handles a bit back of centre to get the bags tilting forward and kind of drive you forward in the motion. If you get me.

Truck pull - Use your arms! Some high rep curls or arm over arm training might not be a bad idea to get used to the lactic acid build up.

Tireflip - Use them legs! You are a strong squatter so get down low on the tire and drive forward with your shoulders dug into the upper edge instead of "deadlifting it", try to be fast to get momentum.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
Paradox
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
If you get some time with the implements, you can do pretty well. Get some tacky for the stones, and prepare for pain. That shit hurts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
On the Log Press try to initiate as much leg drive as possible to last longer. Explode the press and do quick cleans!

Atlas Stones - Cover your arms and hands in tacky, then strength will take you far!

Farmers - Try to get a good start. Grip the handles a bit back of centre to get the bags tilting forward and kind of drive you forward in the motion. If you get me.

Truck pull - Use your arms! Some high rep curls or arm over arm training might not be a bad idea to get used to the lactic acid build up.

Tireflip - Use them legs! You are a strong squatter so get down low on the tire and drive forward with your shoulders dug into the upper edge instead of "deadlifting it", try to be fast to get momentum.

Thanks guys! That's all great advice, just what I was looking for.

So... I found out the weights.

Stones are 270 - 400, truck deadlift is progressive as is the press medley, tire is 1200 and Farmers are 300 or 3 progressive also.

I'm not sure I'll be able to do ANY of that. The fuck am I getting myself in to...
Old 07-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
Paradox
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post

This advice is helping immensely.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Sorry I am late to the party, but my advice would be to do some extra mobility work.

I would do some dynamic drills, strongman can put your body in weird positions if you are not used to it.