Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Mike Boyle Death of Squatting (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1428)

jwood 12-06-2009 08:29 PM

Mike Boyle Death of Squatting

Death of Squatting

I do not know if you guys have already heard about all of this but it seems to be blowing up on a lot of other forums. Mike Boyle is saying that the back squat is not a lower body exercise and is a lower back exercise. Just wanted to see what you guys thought about this.

I think there is a lot more information elsewhere on the internet, that some of you guys have seen. I would like to hear some opinions on this.

kman025 12-06-2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwood (Post 13892)
Death of Squatting

I do not know if you guys have already heard about all of this but it seems to be blowing up on a lot of other forums. Mike Boyle is saying that the back squat is not a lower body exercise and is a lower back exercise. Just wanted to see what you guys thought about this.

I think there is a lot more information elsewhere on the internet, that some of you guys have seen. I would like to hear some opinions on this.

in.

this was on bb.com a while back and the responses were hilarious.

Grim83 12-06-2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

Death of Squatting

all i can do is speak from personal experience, and from my interaction with other lifters. with that being said, here is my opinion. Does the traditional squat hit only the muscles below the waist... no, does it still work them more effectively than 99% of the other exercises for them... yes.

AthleteCreator 12-06-2009 08:54 PM

At first I was like, "OMG, who the f*ck is this guy and what the f*ck is he talking about?!??!?!?!?!!11!!one!"

But the more I think about it, it makes sense.

BUT!!!!

It is entirely dependant on who your client is and what their goals are.

I'm seriously contemplating the neccessity of back squats for athletes as far as muscular development is concerned. I think they could afford to focus more on front squats and RFE squats. They should be doing them already, but really emphasize them. The only reason I would/will still have athletes do back squats is for the mental toughness aspect and for when they have to test out when reporting to camp.

If I were training a powerlifter, why would I NOT have them back squat? Not having them back squat is like wiping before you poop.

Olympic weightlifter? They rarely do back squats anyways.

Your everyday gym rat? Shit. They don't squat anyways.

A paying weightloss client? Nope. I really don't think I'd have them back squat anymore. What Boyle says makes sense, and I don't think a weightloss client really needs them.

BendtheBar 12-06-2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

Death of Squatting

I want to state this first. I am experienced with e-bookers and their marketing tools. This is a nice piece of shock marketing, and I'm sure it's great for the bottom line. One of the big rules of marketing is to place shit into the market that gets people talking. he is good at that. And being that his site is a cut and paste e-book site, I already lost respect for him.

The squat is not a lower back exercise. We all know this. If anything, it hits the hamstrings hardest. Anyone who's ever had a rough squat day knows this to be true.

And it's only a lower back exercise for someone who is a beginner and has no clue what they're doing.

To address AC's point...

"I'm seriously contemplating the neccessity of back squats for athletes as far as muscular development is concerned."

I couldn't disagree more. The back squat is a proven anabolic tool, and provides the fastest anabolic nudge out of any exercise. If you really want to slow your growth the fastest, remove squats.

The front squat is good for lower back strength and deadlift training, but is not a strong mass building exercise. I consider it primarily a strength building exercise.

And the RFE squat? For mass? It's worse then the lunge on the knees. In my opinion, it's almost as ridiculous as someone squatting on a ball. I mean no disrespect AC, but I do strongly disagree with you.

jwood 12-06-2009 09:21 PM

AC I had nearly the same thoughts as you did, at first I said bullshit man, but after listening to him I could see why it makes sense in certain situations.

A powerlifter has to back squat, I think it will still help athletes build overall strength and mental toughness, but athletes should focus more attention to front squats and single leg stuff.

The squat has withstood the test of time, it has been around for a very long time, so I think it will stay around for a very long time and it will still be a staple in most intelligent weightlifter's programs.

BendtheBar 12-06-2009 09:23 PM

During college my vert went up nearly a foot from back squats.

I really didn't read his spiel. If it's for athletes...then, I know nothing about training for a sport. I do know that with heavy weight, my vert went through the rough and so did the ability to hit a baseball a mile :)

Maybe I am misunderstanding AC...are you saying muscular development isn't needed for athletes? If so, I can see dropping back squats. But I do not think there is a better exercise for increasing many aspects of sports, including the jumping ability.

I went from 6 inches shy of the rim to nearly dunking after one year of heavy squats.

BendtheBar 12-06-2009 10:03 PM

I just watched the video.

I really am confused...squatting is a lower back exercise? And not a lower body exercise? He says specifically..."squatting is not a lower body exercise."

I am backing out of this conversation. I couldn't disagree with him more. I really don't know what else to say.

If we want to talk functional strength, why would you leave out an exercise that has the potential to elevate full body strength levels?

BendtheBar 12-06-2009 10:16 PM

Mark Rippetoe on Boyle:

Quote:

The likelihood of Mike Boyle's article causing the wholesale abandonment of the squat is exactly the same as my disapproval of the consumption of soy causing chaos in the commodities markets tomorrow morning. It is irrelevant to the fact that squats, deadlifts, cleans, presses, and bench presses make weak people strong and Coach Boyle's program does not.

Be calm. Train as if this never happened and everything will be fine.
My point exactly. Thank you Rip.

Grim83 12-06-2009 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 13921)
Mark Rippetoe on Boyle:

My point exactly. Thank you Rip.

I'm not one to suck at rips tit...but DAMN!!!!!! thats funny as hell (And possibly true