Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!
Default When should I put the gear on?

Quote:
"I want to touch on a point for all the ones that keep asking, "when should I put on the gear". First let me say, I always wear a belt from the bar on up, for a few reasons. I want to keep the feel of something around my waist, even a different feeling can mess up your form. You do not have to cinch it up tight until you put on some bigger weight but keep it on. It also helps to keep your lower back warm. Your lower back has very little blood running through it and can cool off very easy, so even a loose belt can keep it warm and loose. That is one of the best reasons of all to help keep injuries at bay. You can cinch it up tight at 50-60% or better.

Now for the wrist wraps. The wrist can take a beating on all lifts, it can be injured (sprained) very easy. The ligaments and tendons are susceptible to tearing after many years of hard working out. I know, I ruptured a tendon in my hand and had a tendon transplant, so I am very hard on people who think they are indestructible.

Just wait till it happens to you, your wrists can cool off very easy also. Keeps them warm and tight while squatting, benching or whatever. I keep them on from the empty bar on up. Knee wraps I put on loose at about 50% and tighten them up as I get higher. Same reasons, for protection and support; and the older you get and the heavier you get, the more you will appreciate being injury free.

Be smart, keep your egos in check and use the gear for all the right reasons. Protection and support...and the extra pounds will do wonders for your head..........."
- Rickey Dale Crain
Old 07-05-2013, 04:30 AM   #2
I WILL
Max Brawn
Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 2-4 years 2 serious
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Romanian Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
I WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
- Rickey Dale Crain
Really good read! Glad you posted it.

MAB Sponsored Athlete

My Website: Nutrition Beast
I WILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Interesting.

What wrist wraps would you recommend? I've never tried any, and have no idea what's what.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Big fan of Ricky and his writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
Interesting.

What wrist wraps would you recommend? I've never tried any, and have no idea what's what.
Go for a 24" length and nothing too heavy. If you're in the States, EliteFTS is probably your best bet.
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Or Anderson powerlifting.
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Anderson's wraps are inexpensive and quality. I highly recommend them. I used to get palm and wrist strains constantly from heavy benching. Since using wraps I haven't had one in over 2 years.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote