Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #21
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

I was talking to a guy earlier, my exact problem when I tried fullbody was going full bore every time, whether I felt like it or not. I'm gonna try to leave some on the table for the next day.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2013, 01:02 AM   #22
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
I was talking to a guy earlier, my exact problem when I tried fullbody was going full bore every time, whether I felt like it or not. I'm gonna try to leave some on the table for the next day.
Leave a lot more on the table than you think you should to begin with.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:37 AM   #23
1Strength
Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 9 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Dymatize Elite Whey
1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor

Always start small.

Ask yourself: what are your goals?

To get strong

Okay so what is your favorite lift? ALL Powerlifters choose ONE lift they push more than the others. Geared users always bank on Squats because that is their money-maker. But for RAW lifters, most people opt for Deadlifts but there is no blanket rule here.

Assume you want to push Squats and Bench the most.

OK

That means the most minimal exercises you need are: Squats and Bench.

Squats require hip movements. So throw in one posterior chain movement. Throw in one vertical pulling movement one row movement and one unilateral leg movement. Plus add in Deadlifts.

Now you have:
1. Squats
2. Bench
3. PC exercise
4. Vertical Pulling
5. Rowing
6. Deadlifts
7. Unilateral Leg Exercise

I still stand by my statement of strength guys not needing more than 4 days of serious training per week (even less than 4 is OK)

Now assume you want to do one more squat variation - that is fine. So you have 8 exercises now. Over 4 days.

Day 1 = Squats and Unilateral Leg Exercise
Day 2 = Deadlifts and Pull-ups
Day 3 = Rows and Bench
Day 4 = Squat Variation and PC exercise

You still end up short on the pressing work but that is the point: you start SMALL and then you add things as you go along...every 6 weeks or so you make a few small changes like throwing in some overhead work or tricep work, etc.

My YouTube Channel
1Strength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #24
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I ran 6 days a week for 18 months. It's all about balancing volume and intensity, and takes a lot of tweaking and listening to your body.

I did a lot of working up to daily maxes, and focused on improving them.

For some lifts, variation is a must - deadlifts. I found no value in frequent floor pulling. Squats on the other hand I could do daily if I wanted to.

Right now I still use a variation of this type of programming. It takes a lot of discipline. You can't go in trying to kill yourself each day.
So what did you do with the deadlifts BTB? Rotate high - low pulls, deficits, things like that?

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.

Last edited by moeheep; 07-02-2013 at 08:22 AM.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:17 AM   #25
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

I do appreciate this. I'm determined to give 7 days a real go, but I'm sure things will change down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Strength View Post
Always start small.

Ask yourself: what are your goals?

To get strong

Okay so what is your favorite lift? ALL Powerlifters choose ONE lift they push more than the others. Geared users always bank on Squats because that is their money-maker. But for RAW lifters, most people opt for Deadlifts but there is no blanket rule here.

Assume you want to push Squats and Bench the most.

OK

That means the most minimal exercises you need are: Squats and Bench.

Squats require hip movements. So throw in one posterior chain movement. Throw in one vertical pulling movement one row movement and one unilateral leg movement. Plus add in Deadlifts.

Now you have:
1. Squats
2. Bench
3. PC exercise
4. Vertical Pulling
5. Rowing
6. Deadlifts
7. Unilateral Leg Exercise

I still stand by my statement of strength guys not needing more than 4 days of serious training per week (even less than 4 is OK)

Now assume you want to do one more squat variation - that is fine. So you have 8 exercises now. Over 4 days.

Day 1 = Squats and Unilateral Leg Exercise
Day 2 = Deadlifts and Pull-ups
Day 3 = Rows and Bench
Day 4 = Squat Variation and PC exercise

You still end up short on the pressing work but that is the point: you start SMALL and then you add things as you go along...every 6 weeks or so you make a few small changes like throwing in some overhead work or tricep work, etc.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote