Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
TitanWIP
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

TitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good posts
Default Increasing Deadlift Strength

I saw this talked about on another thread so I want to ask, what are good methods to increase deadlift strength? Do heavy reps help? Lighter weight and more reps? Or is Louie Simmons right in that you don't need to train the deadlift directly very often? How about frequency? Is twice a week ok if one is heavy and the other light?

I'm talking more about intermediates who have deadlifts over 350 to 400 pounds.
TitanWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
moore_716
Banned
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,016, Level: 17 Points: 1,016, Level: 17 Points: 1,016, Level: 17
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

moore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammer

good questions. I'm in.
moore_716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

I would listen to Louie. If you do train the deadlift twice a week I would also follow the westside template focusing on training heavy one day (max effort) with 5's and 3's, and then on your lighter day (dynamic effort) work on your rate of force development, with with 10 sets of 1 rep.

awesome question..this is just my thought

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

As some who has pulled over 600 I will tell you this. You need to deadlift to get your deadlift stronger, however you only need to deadlift every 10 days. I personally believe in heavy singles, whether they be partials, full range or deficits.

West side barbell is all about attacking your weakness' in a lift, but it also for geared lifting where suits handle the first phase of breaking the weight off the ground. Speed work is for speed. If you deadlift lets say 350, I would say its ok to do 135 3 days later if it helps you work on your set up and form. HOWEVER that isn't to say your form won't break with heavier weight.

Listen to your body, try something out,and if you feel too burnt out, take something out, and lay low and retry. Before there was there was all these lifting guru's there was TRIAL AND ERROR.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
nighttrain
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68

Training Exp: 20+
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

^^^^^good answer
Old 12-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I will add this to what BBG said. I've been doing heavy singles at 80-88%+ this past year, and my deadlift is suffering - it hasn't budged. I've performed them religiously, once a week. I was experimenting with "lighter" singles to see if it would benefit my deadlift total. In one year my max dropped 45 pounds.

I've found that the only times my deadlift goes up is when I do singles at 90%+ each week. Not many, mind you. But some. All the "under 90%" work doesn't seem to help me.

I've also found good mornings and front squats to be beneficial.

BTW, I prefer to do heavy deadlift singles in waves of 4 weeks. Something like 85, 90, 95, new max. Like I said, if I linger too low, my deadlift suffers.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I will add this to what BBG said. I've been doing heavy singles at 80-88%+ this past year, and my deadlift is suffering - it hasn't budged. I've performed them religiously, once a week. I was experimenting with "lighter" singles to see if it would benefit my deadlift total. In one year my max dropped 45 pounds.

I've found that the only times my deadlift goes up is when I do singles at 90%+ each week. Not many, mind you. But some. All the "under 90%" work doesn't seem to help me.

I've also found good mornings and front squats to be beneficial.

BTW, I prefer to do heavy deadlift singles in waves of 4 weeks. Something like 85, 90, 95, new max. Like I said, if I linger too low, my deadlift suffers.
Good point I forgot to mention on assistance exercises, they should be corespondent to the point where you stall with the bar. Can't budge it of the ground some front squats will help, can't lock it out good mornings and various extension movements will help as well as an assortment of things.

BTB why don't you try deadlifting from 3inch and 6inch rubber mats for a while? You can still do rest pause style. If anything I would do 3 inch deadlifts one week for a one rep max, the next week rest pause deficit deadlifts with around 70% of your max to let your cns recover, the week after try your hand at 6 inch mats, and pound the assistance.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
Good point I forgot to mention on assistance exercises, they should be corespondent to the point where you stall with the bar. Can't budge it of the ground some front squats will help, can't lock it out good mornings and various extension movements will help as well as an assortment of things.

BTB why don't you try deadlifting from 3inch and 6inch rubber mats for a while? You can still do rest pause style. If anything I would do 3 inch deadlifts one week for a one rep max, the next week rest pause deficit deadlifts with around 70% of your max to let your cns recover, the week after try your hand at 6 inch mats, and pound the assistance.
I've tried them in the past, but never for an extended period of time.

How often do you do 90%+ singles? I am trying to find a good approach to raising my deadlift, but don't want to overtrain heavy singles.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
swoleramon
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

swoleramon is new to the forumswoleramon is new to the forum

Is it just me or are deadlifts the hardest to increase?

BTB why don't you do reps?
Old 12-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoleramon View Post
Is it just me or are deadlifts the hardest to increase?

BTB why don't you do reps?
not at all for me.

that would be all pressing movements
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)