Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Increasing Deadlift Strength (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1418)

TitanWIP 12-05-2009 08:10 PM

Increasing Deadlift Strength
 
I saw this talked about on another thread so I want to ask, what are good methods to increase deadlift strength? Do heavy reps help? Lighter weight and more reps? Or is Louie Simmons right in that you don't need to train the deadlift directly very often? How about frequency? Is twice a week ok if one is heavy and the other light?

I'm talking more about intermediates who have deadlifts over 350 to 400 pounds.

moore_716 12-05-2009 10:07 PM

good questions. I'm in.

dmaipa 12-05-2009 11:06 PM

I would listen to Louie. If you do train the deadlift twice a week I would also follow the westside template focusing on training heavy one day (max effort) with 5's and 3's, and then on your lighter day (dynamic effort) work on your rate of force development, with with 10 sets of 1 rep.

awesome question..this is just my thought

Bodybygamma 12-19-2009 11:37 PM

As some who has pulled over 600 I will tell you this. You need to deadlift to get your deadlift stronger, however you only need to deadlift every 10 days. I personally believe in heavy singles, whether they be partials, full range or deficits.

West side barbell is all about attacking your weakness' in a lift, but it also for geared lifting where suits handle the first phase of breaking the weight off the ground. Speed work is for speed. If you deadlift lets say 350, I would say its ok to do 135 3 days later if it helps you work on your set up and form. HOWEVER that isn't to say your form won't break with heavier weight.

Listen to your body, try something out,and if you feel too burnt out, take something out, and lay low and retry. Before there was there was all these lifting guru's there was TRIAL AND ERROR.

nighttrain 12-20-2009 07:01 AM

^^^^^good answer

BendtheBar 12-20-2009 08:37 AM

I will add this to what BBG said. I've been doing heavy singles at 80-88%+ this past year, and my deadlift is suffering - it hasn't budged. I've performed them religiously, once a week. I was experimenting with "lighter" singles to see if it would benefit my deadlift total. In one year my max dropped 45 pounds.

I've found that the only times my deadlift goes up is when I do singles at 90%+ each week. Not many, mind you. But some. All the "under 90%" work doesn't seem to help me.

I've also found good mornings and front squats to be beneficial.

BTW, I prefer to do heavy deadlift singles in waves of 4 weeks. Something like 85, 90, 95, new max. Like I said, if I linger too low, my deadlift suffers.

Bodybygamma 12-20-2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 16027)
I will add this to what BBG said. I've been doing heavy singles at 80-88%+ this past year, and my deadlift is suffering - it hasn't budged. I've performed them religiously, once a week. I was experimenting with "lighter" singles to see if it would benefit my deadlift total. In one year my max dropped 45 pounds.

I've found that the only times my deadlift goes up is when I do singles at 90%+ each week. Not many, mind you. But some. All the "under 90%" work doesn't seem to help me.

I've also found good mornings and front squats to be beneficial.

BTW, I prefer to do heavy deadlift singles in waves of 4 weeks. Something like 85, 90, 95, new max. Like I said, if I linger too low, my deadlift suffers.

Good point I forgot to mention on assistance exercises, they should be corespondent to the point where you stall with the bar. Can't budge it of the ground some front squats will help, can't lock it out good mornings and various extension movements will help as well as an assortment of things.

BTB why don't you try deadlifting from 3inch and 6inch rubber mats for a while? You can still do rest pause style. If anything I would do 3 inch deadlifts one week for a one rep max, the next week rest pause deficit deadlifts with around 70% of your max to let your cns recover, the week after try your hand at 6 inch mats, and pound the assistance.

BendtheBar 12-20-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodybygamma (Post 16033)
Good point I forgot to mention on assistance exercises, they should be corespondent to the point where you stall with the bar. Can't budge it of the ground some front squats will help, can't lock it out good mornings and various extension movements will help as well as an assortment of things.

BTB why don't you try deadlifting from 3inch and 6inch rubber mats for a while? You can still do rest pause style. If anything I would do 3 inch deadlifts one week for a one rep max, the next week rest pause deficit deadlifts with around 70% of your max to let your cns recover, the week after try your hand at 6 inch mats, and pound the assistance.

I've tried them in the past, but never for an extended period of time.

How often do you do 90%+ singles? I am trying to find a good approach to raising my deadlift, but don't want to overtrain heavy singles.

swoleramon 12-20-2009 02:21 PM

Is it just me or are deadlifts the hardest to increase?

BTB why don't you do reps?

kman025 12-20-2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swoleramon (Post 16050)
Is it just me or are deadlifts the hardest to increase?

BTB why don't you do reps?

not at all for me.

that would be all pressing movements


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.