Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member
Default Is this normal? Parents?

I'm honestly very curious about my now 13 month old daughter. She's a little overweight, which I'm not worried about because my wife and I are both healthy, but she's also extremely STRONG. To the point where doctors trying to examine her have actually pointed it out and given up on things like looking into her nose. One time I was trying to hold her while the doctor checked her out and she got so mad that she arched her back and actually pushed back my arm while I was trying to hold the back of her head.

She's also done things like picking up 10lb+ of chains (while watching her mommy train in out garage), dragging a fully loaded diaper back across carpet with 1 arm, and she almost picked up an entire gallon of milk. She would have picked it up if it hadn't been wet. Back when she was 8 or 9 months she was already pushing around fridge packs of cans on the ground before we put them in the fridge.

She also really likes pushing things around. Usually it's loaded laundry baskets, but when we were visiting my parents back in Florida she actually pushed a stool around on a tile floor. This wouldn't have been a big deal, except for the fact that my wife was SITTING on the stool at the time!

Is this normal for a 1 year old? Do I have a genetic freak on my hands?
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

I vote for "genetic freak"

And be glad you do!!!!

But seriously, I know when my son was little, he was always off the "growth chart" the doctors used. He didnt even show up on it until he was about 8-9 yrs old, and even then he was at the "99 percentile"

I dont remember if he was noticable stronger at that young of an age. He was stronger than almost every kid once he started school.

I never asked if there was a "Strength Chart" the docs use....maybe ask about that?

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I'm honestly very curious about my now 13 month old daughter. She's a little overweight, which I'm not worried about because my wife and I are both healthy, but she's also extremely STRONG. To the point where doctors trying to examine her have actually pointed it out and given up on things like looking into her nose. One time I was trying to hold her while the doctor checked her out and she got so mad that she arched her back and actually pushed back my arm while I was trying to hold the back of her head.

She's also done things like picking up 10lb+ of chains (while watching her mommy train in out garage), dragging a fully loaded diaper back across carpet with 1 arm, and she almost picked up an entire gallon of milk. She would have picked it up if it hadn't been wet. Back when she was 8 or 9 months she was already pushing around fridge packs of cans on the ground before we put them in the fridge.

She also really likes pushing things around. Usually it's loaded laundry baskets, but when we were visiting my parents back in Florida she actually pushed a stool around on a tile floor. This wouldn't have been a big deal, except for the fact that my wife was SITTING on the stool at the time!

Is this normal for a 1 year old? Do I have a genetic freak on my hands?

Thats awesome if you ask me! haha

I think its normal. My baby sister is 1 now, and she can do allot of what you said (apart from pushing around a stool with a fully grown woman sitting on it haha)

She's very strong for her age, but thats cool!

You may well have a genetic freak on your hands, She'll be squatting cars next year
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Bill
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

Sounds strong.

My buddy has a 36 month old that is 42" tall and weighs 47lbs. Kid is gonna br a monster
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

"genetic freak" is the kid with the myostatin deficiency.

my niece used to do things like that -- things involving strength -- when she was that age. she's 7 now, and it's turned into a knack for sports. she can run fast, and she has performed well above average on every team she's been on. she doesn't even practice. when she was younger, i saw that she had noticeable quads and delts, and she could hang and do half pullups when she was 3 years old.
if i were you, i'd just make sure to encourage her to play catch, kick a soccer ball, or really just practice any kind of sport when the time comes. my sister and bro-in-law don't practice with my niece. they're couch potatoes. it's a real shame because she has talent, and it's going to waste.

Last edited by SecondsOut; 06-25-2013 at 11:25 AM.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
OHDL
Max Brawn
Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Skwattzz
Fav Supp: Milk
OHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beast

I'm gonna say genetic freak, but obliviously in good way.

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

- Christopher Hitchens
OHDL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
themaster2981
Max Brawn
Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Training Exp: 3 years serious
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: All
Fav Supp: Desi Ghee
themaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beast

Wow Man. Great news, i must say.

"Move me out of the away so that someone else can lift": Ed Coan after injuring himself during a squat attempt of 970 lbs in 2002

POWERLIFTING - ABSOLUTE POWER
themaster2981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

it always amazes me what my 2 year old daughter can lift.

Last edited by leefarley; 06-25-2013 at 11:53 AM.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

She sounds pretty darn strong, but the pushing thing is pretty common i think. She needs a tiny prowler now!
Old 06-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Believe me, I'm hoping she's a genetic freak! She squats all the time, even when she isn't picking something up. I'm hoping she gets the lifting bug. I know it's normal for them to want to do what their parents do at first, but of course then that tends to go to hell.

I'm sure she'll continue to be strong though. My wife and I are both strong and enjoy strength sports, but I'm only going to push her if she's into it.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote