Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Home Gym Equipment Poll (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14160)

afraziaaaa 06-25-2013 04:17 AM

Home Gym Equipment Poll

You have $300-$400 to spend on home gym equipment. You currently have a power rack, some weights and a bench. Basically barebones. Is your next purchase:

A) Chains
B) SS Bar
C) TDB

Feel free to state your reasoning if you like.

Trevor Lane 06-25-2013 04:27 AM

I don't see a reason to get anything else beside more weight plates.

LtL 06-25-2013 04:33 AM

In order of my preference:

GHR bench
More plates (higher of actually needed now)
Bands and handle attachments to enable you to do lat pulldown and row movements off the rack

Trevor Lane 06-25-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 378662)
GHR bench

Hellz Yeah!

Soldier 06-25-2013 07:17 AM

Of the 3 listed, I'd go with an SS bar. I think chains are overrated, and while a DL bar helps you lift more weight it's not needed for training.

BigJosh 06-25-2013 07:31 AM

If it were myself I would pick up some bands and some nice adjustable dbs for assistance work. 3rd on my list would be the as bar. But honestly that is a distant third.

Off Road 06-25-2013 07:55 AM

I'd buy a Prowler before I bought a specialty bar.

Dray 06-25-2013 08:09 AM

Definitely none of those. Moar platez, is the first thing I would consider. and/or an upgraded barbell / rack / bench, depending how good those things were to begin with.

A nice pair of spinlock DBs, perhaps. Gah, so many other things, actually...

^ The prowler idea is nice, too.

afraziaaaa 06-25-2013 04:02 PM

Have bands. Have spinlock DBs. Don't need the GHR currently. Plan on buying a lat tower eventually, but don't need it right now as I am still training at a gym twice a week. I am thinking more weight for the DBs, and BB, then a SS bar. Also, some extra long DB handles for one arm-DB rows. Can't get all that for $300-$400 though unless I find a stash on CL.

What does the prowler accomplish? Will it help me squat and DL more?

afraziaaaa 06-25-2013 04:07 PM

Have bands, have spinlock DBs. Don't need the GHR now, but def on the list of future purchases.

More weight is what I need most, both standard and olympic. After that I am thinking SS bar. I agree that the TDB isn't necessary. Good call on that. Plan on buying a lat tower eventually, but I am still training at a gym two days per week so don't need it.

I would love a nice power rack, but my ceiling is only 6'10" so I am stuck with the cheapo one that I have. Also, some extra long DB handles for one arm DB row which is my fav back exercise.

I have never used chains before. I hear they really help...?

Also, what does a prowler accomplish? Will there be a carryover to my Squat and DL from it?