Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
JustinWorkouts
Brawn

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Whey Protein O.N
JustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality posts
Question What to do now? Lifts have stalled

Current 1 rep max Lifts June:

Squat: 275 -315lbs - Seeing Progress
Deadlift: 430lbs - Going Backwards
Bench: 225lbs - stalled
Dumbbell Bench Press 90lbs x3 - Going Backwards
OHP: 185lbs - Stalled

Before April Lifts:
Squat: 255lbs- Went Up
Deadlift: 455lbs - This was after 10 week ed coan program
Bench - 225lbs - 3 week smolv jr.
OHP - 185LBS
Dumbbell BP: 110lbs x 3 - Could've came from the excessive creatine I was using around this time.

Small Rant (Me attempting to make sorry excuses lol):
So it's about to be July & I haven't made any progress since March. At the end of March most of my programs I was running ended as college had ended so I wasn't able to follow the program schedule anymore. In June I got a job at Fedex (That's almost like Deadlifting Everyday & if anyone wants to know it's extreme lifting non stop in 150 degree truck heat). I go to the gym from 6pm-9pm and then work at Fedex from 11pm-3am. Before I joined Fedex I could bulk on 3400 cals. Now I have to bulk on 4500 cals and my eating time is limited from 12noon - 5pm. I usually get 2000 cals in Milk, fish, and chicken and the rest comes from Taco Bell's .99 cent beefy crunch burrito (500cals each) (I know it sucks to bulk on it but the food is awesome). I have to bulk on this high number due to the amount of calories I burn a day. And the bulk only gets me to .4lbs a week. My goal is 1lb a week but that would require raising my calories even more and taking in more taco bell. (I track with myfitnesspal) In the gym I have gotten weaker on the dumbbell bench Press, My legs are the only body part that has gotten stronger since March. My deadlifts have stalled alot. My goal was to hit 500lbs but this didn't include working at Fedex. It's hard to deadlift now a day because my lower back takes alot of pressure and when I go to lift boxes at work the pressure in my lower back is still there.

So really what I want to know is how can I get my deadlift up and my bench on both the dumbbell and Barbell. I went back to look at my old training logs and I noticed I haven't done any other back assistance exercises besides lat pulldown and chin ups for my back. Perhaps I am open to try alot of other back exercises to increase my strength? For chest I use to bench press when it's included in my program but when I'm not on a program I do dumbell bench because I want to get to those 125lbs dumbbells.

Hopefully you guys can help me find a solution ^_^. O and here is a list of my short goals from greatest to least

Goals:
1. Deadlift 500lbs ( No deadline I love Deadlifting)
2. Bench 315lbs ( Possibly by December. School competition April 2014)
3. Squat 365lbs (Possibly Before September 30th)

Open to any programs. O also my gym time is 6-9 because I train with 2 friends so I don't lift that long.

Quick Summary:

Want to break through my deadlift/bench plateau and increase my lifts about 40-80lbs by the end of the year. Possibly looking for a new program and some good old advice on lifting with these type of goals and working a tough job and Fedex (package handler M-F). I can only train right before work 6pm-9pm. Work is from 11pm-3am. Sleep is from 5am-12 noon.
JustinWorkouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I just want to make sure I am clear on the length of time each of lifts hasn't budged.

Quote:
Squat: 275 -315lbs - Seeing Progress
Deadlift: 430lbs - Going Backwards
Bench: 225lbs - stalled
Dumbbell Bench Press 90lbs x3 - Going Backwards
OHP: 185lbs - Stalled
How many weeks has your deadlift, bench and OHP been at exactly the same weight?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
JBrown
Brawn

JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

275 squat and 430 deadlift? That's a tremendous gap. How tall are you?
JBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
JustinWorkouts
Brawn

Training Exp: 2
Fav Supp: Whey Protein O.N
JustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I just want to make sure I am clear on the length of time each of lifts hasn't budged.

How many weeks has your deadlift, bench and OHP been at exactly the same weight?
On 12-13-2012 I hit 185lbs on OHP.
On 5-31-2103 I hit 455lbs on Deadlift
Around 4-19-2013 I hit 225lbs on Bench Press
On 4-23-2013 I hit 315lbs on Squat but my 3 rep max have increased since then.

Used Jefit Pro to go back and look at my data.
JustinWorkouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinWorkouts View Post
also my gym time is 6-9 because I train with 2 friends so I don't lift that long.
That;s three hours. If you can't get it done in three hours. . .

BtB seems to have something up his sleeve, can't wait to see what it is. I'll keep checking to see if it gets sorted.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

How often are you deadlifting? Just curious because if you're really doing that much heavy work during your job and trying to deadlift consistently it may be the cause of your DL going backwards.

Just a thought on that one.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinWorkouts View Post
On 12-13-2012 I hit 185lbs on OHP.
On 5-31-2103 I hit 455lbs on Deadlift
Around 4-19-2013 I hit 225lbs on Bench Press
On 4-23-2013 I hit 315lbs on Squat but my 3 rep max have increased since then.

Used Jefit Pro to go back and look at my data.
Ok so no stall on squats.

First let's establish reason expectations. You're an intermediate lifter. If you can add 2-3 reps per month, per lift, you're making decent progress. Not great progress, not poor progress, but this is +24-36 reps per lift per year. This can equate to a 30-50 pound bump, which is decent for where you are at.

Now certainly we want to improve this if we can. There are a limited number of variables, so let's address them.

1) Missing workouts. Are you missing workouts? If so, your commitment is letting you down.

2) Food. Are you trying to chase too many goals at once - like losing weight and gaining strength? Doesn't sound like it.

You do have an intense job. This is an important variable change. You've only been at this for 3 weeks, so I think it's THE issue.

I worked as a machinest for 3 years when I first got into powerlifting. It was the most physically demanding job I've ever had. It took some time to adapt. I also had to keep tinkering with my eating so I wasn't losing weight.

I think you need to give it one more month, allow your body to adapt, and keep trying to out-eat your job. It can be done, and you will start gaining strength.

3) Lifting. You're going to have to make adjustments. I would only heavy floor deadlift every third week, and then I would not recommend going above 90%.

My advice when it comes to improving any lift is to focus on improving overall body strength. I would like to see you get your back as strong as possible...315 barbell rows for 5+ reps, and 180 dumbbell rows for 5+ reps. That's possible. If you can do that I guarantee your deadlift will improve.

Your dumbbell benches are too low of reps for my blood. Get them 8-15 reps per set, and push for that +1-2 every workout. I've never seen dumbbell work and low reps as a good fit, unless it's rest-pause.

Squats...get your quads strong. If you are wide stance use a more conventional stance.

Pressing...get your triceps strong. Reps, reps, reps.

Not sure if this has helped much. Hopefully some.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
I think you need to give it one more month, allow your body to adapt, and keep trying to out-eat your job. It can be done, and you will start gaining strength.
It was all good advice, but that part right there was pure awesomeness
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
3) Lifting. You're going to have to make adjustments. I would only heavy floor deadlift every third week, and then I would not recommend going above 90%.
This caught my attention. Sorry to hijack, but just for the sake of clarity, what would you suggest he do the other 2 weeks? Rack Pulls?

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

Josh, I think he was specifically referring to heavy, it is possible to train the deadlift with reps as well and still pull from the floor.

That is just how I read it though, he could mean rack pulls/speed pulls/deficits as well.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is online now   Reply With Quote