Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
VincyMuscle
New Brawn
Points: 763, Level: 14 Points: 763, Level: 14 Points: 763, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 year +
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: FOOD
VincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good posts
Default Had an accident in the gym this evening

At my gym we don't have a squat rack. There is a smith machine, so those of us that free-weight squat use the weight stack pins on the smith machine to rest the bar on. We use the one that's at the top as it's closest to shoulder height.

This evening I did my warm-up sets as usual and worked up to my working weight of 255lbs. I did my first set fine, then when going to put the bar back on the pins, the left collar of the bar slipped and got lodged on the side of the pin. The thing is, you have to place the collars right on the pins for it to fit or else the bar isn't gonna be centered and the plates will hit the body of the smith machine. I tried nudging the bar up but that didn't make any difference. Then the right started swaying because of the unbalanced weight. I couldn't throw the bar off my shoulders because my spotter was behind me. By this time gravity took over and I ended up falling to my right with the bar on my back. Quick thinking allowed me to twist my body to the right and go with the momentum so that I didn't wreck my knees. I ended up on the floor and the bar just clipped the back of my neck when it hit to the floor...hard. A few plates flew off as well.

Everything happened really fast, but I'm just glad I didn't get hurt! It could have been much worse!! My buddies rushed over to check me out and stack the weights back. Thinking about it now things could have gotten really bad really fast there. I'm just happy that I'm fine!

Once I checked myself and realized that I was fine, I put the bar back, stacked my 255lbs back on and got the job done. As CT Fletcher says: IT'S STILL YOUR SET!!

It's bad enough having to step over the base of the smith machine when racking and unracking the weight, but what's worse is that just missing the weight pins can end up with you getting a serious injury. No gym around here has a squat rack. So I have to work within these limitations. My CNS was really fried after that set and I think it would have been near impossible for me to save that fall.

Anyway, I'm gonna have to be real careful next squat session. Appreciate your squat racks gentlemen...cuz I've never even seen one in person.
VincyMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
evilinmotion
Evil Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 18 (13 powerlifting)
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: MHP
evilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributor

More proof that Smith machines are evil!...at least you are ok.

Type 2 Diabetic / A1C: 12.9% @ 07 Aug 2013
evilinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:51 AM   #3
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Glad you're okay.

This might sound bad but, I would have dumped it.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
Bill
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

Should have dumped it. Find a different spotter if he is not prepared for a dump.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
VincyMuscle
New Brawn

VincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good posts

I would have dumped it...except for the fact that my spotter was my wife. <--The one on the left would have been me for the rest of my life.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Find a new gym.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
VincyMuscle
New Brawn

I would, but there really isn't any other option. As for the next closest gym to me, I heard all kinda crap about them. They have even been known to weld broken olympic bars back together, so that's a definite no no. I'll have to make do with what I have for the next couple months.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincyMuscle View Post
I would, but there really isn't any other option. As for the next closest gym to me, I heard all kinda crap about them. They have even been known to weld broken olympic bars back together, so that's a definite no no. I'll have to make do with what I have for the next couple months.
Just tell your spotter, if it happens again, they are to move well out of the way... and dump the barbell.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
VincyMuscle
New Brawn

I hope it never happens again. But if it does, I will be sure to tell them.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Should have dumped it. Find a different spotter if he is not prepared for a dump.
What? No spotter is ready for a dump, and you should never dump a weight on purpose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincyMuscle View Post
I would have dumped it...except for the fact that my spotter was my wife. <--The one on the left would have been me for the rest of my life.
Never dump a weight on purpose. That is how people get seriously hurt. Hang in there and do the best you can. Glad you didn't get hurt.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote