Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
What? No spotter is ready for a dump, and you should never dump a weight on purpose!
Would you agree then that the spotter should have known what to do and how they were able to assist in this scenario? And if they didn't know, they should be informed post haste, so that they know how to handle this should it happen again.

Of course, there is the fact that the situation that occurred wasn't expected to ever occur, which is fully understandable, so neither party were prepared.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
waanabeef
New Brawn
Points: 435, Level: 8 Points: 435, Level: 8 Points: 435, Level: 8
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

waanabeef has made some very good postswaanabeef has made some very good postswaanabeef has made some very good postswaanabeef has made some very good postswaanabeef has made some very good postswaanabeef has made some very good postswaanabeef has made some very good postswaanabeef has made some very good postswaanabeef has made some very good postswaanabeef has made some very good postswaanabeef has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincyMuscle View Post
I would have dumped it...except for the fact that my spotter was my wife. <--The one on the left would have been me for the rest of my life.
Glad that you are ok. And yes I am sure that would have been you if you had dumped her
waanabeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
Bill
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
What? No spotter is ready for a dump, and you should never dump a weight on purpose!

Never dump a weight on purpose. That is how people get seriously hurt. Hang in there and do the best you can. Glad you didn't get hurt.
Dump on purpose? No. But if the choices are potential injury or dump, I'm going to dump.

I think any competent spotter would be ready for a dump, unless the bar slips off the back.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #14
VincyMuscle
New Brawn
Points: 763, Level: 14 Points: 763, Level: 14 Points: 763, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 year +
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: FOOD
VincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good postsVincyMuscle has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Would you agree then that the spotter should have known what to do and how they were able to assist in this scenario? And if they didn't know, they should be informed post haste, so that they know how to handle this should it happen again.

Of course, there is the fact that the situation that occurred wasn't expected to ever occur, which is fully understandable, so neither party were prepared.
I totally agree that neither me nor my spotter we expecting or even prepared for this. I think going forward this is something we're gonna have to pay attention to and be on stand-by when the bar is being racked. Spotter really didn't know to assist in such an unexpected situation.

As I'm typing this the muscles at the back of my neck a bit tight from where the bar clipped me.
VincyMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #15
JBrown
Brawn
Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Dump on purpose? No. But if the choices are potential injury or dump, I'm going to dump.

I think any competent spotter would be ready for a dump, unless the bar slips off the back.
Is it possible to dump 1000 lbs

Seems to me under that kind of weight if something goes wrong, and you become off balance, the weight is going to do as it pleases. Most likely crushing you, or at least, if you're lucky some snapage.

Can not envision "just dumping it". That would require some serious shoulder strength, at least...

Obviously, a perspective from a measly squatter

Last edited by JBrown; 06-22-2013 at 10:29 PM.
JBrown is offline   Reply With Quote