Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Deadlifts and Squats at My Meet

My lockouts have really been strengthened this year by using 3" pulls. They've always been strong for me, but right now I feel like if I can get it off the ground I can lock it out. I feel myself accelerating quickly even with heavy chains.

I am not sure how this will translate to the platform, but I do have hopes that 760 is possible. I've pulled so many easy 700s this year. At least 40-50.

The question right now is really how to structure my pulls at the meet. I have been thinking 700-730-760. My main fear is living some on the table.

I have this fear for squats too. I do not want to leave anything out on the platform. I am thinking 625-650-700.

My previous raw squat was 602, and deadlift was 672.5.

I always try to feel things out and adjust lifts based on feel, but this being my last rodeo above 300 I think I am going to go crazy on my third attempts.

Any thoughts? I am trying to decide if I should go more conservative on first or second attempts and leave more for the third attempts. Or if I should just go get a PR on the first attempt, and go much bigger on the second attempt...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-21-2013 at 02:58 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Paradox
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

I'm of the mindset that conservative is better, but it depends on if you're trying to build a total or just smash PRs in one or two of the lifts. Conservative helps build the total, but too conservative makes it hard as you'lll have to make big jumps to PR. I know a lot of those on the internet (Brandon Lilly comes to mind) like these massive jumps, but anything more than 40ish lbs on squat seems tough.

You also say it's your last meet at 300+, so I guess who gives a shit if you miss, just gofor broke. That being said, it's all relative an your numbers are a lot bigger than mine. MY vote still goes to conservative though.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

At those weights, I think you need to go conservative on openers and make bigger jumps if you want to really max out. Go for broke big man.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
Ramrod
Max Brawn
Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 12
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

Go Big or Go Home.....

Myself I'm going conservative to build my Total.
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
IainK
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 20
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

Deadlift seems fine. Squat id take a larger jump on second lift than second to 3rd. However maybe in your case you could take a small pb attempt on second lift then whatever on 3rd.

My main concern would be a pb. We all like to think we could lift at our best, but we dont know till the day and on the platform. Opening on a pb sounds crazy. However if you truly feel your strength is vastly greater now then last meet maybe you can?
Old 06-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

open light, PR send attempts. Make a decision on 3rd. Your PR 2nds shouldn't gas you out. Now on the dead. Open light, got for broke, unless you have a monster total going. Then I would take a 2nd attempt that would get me to that total.

Who am I kidding, 2nd attempt 700 on both

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
KCStrongmanben
TEAM MAB
Max Brawn
Points: 3,270, Level: 35 Points: 3,270, Level: 35 Points: 3,270, Level: 35
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 20
Fav Supp: Pizza
KCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributor

I like JBs train of thought
Muscle and Brawn
KCStrongmanben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainK View Post
Deadlift seems fine. Squat id take a larger jump on second lift than second to 3rd. However maybe in your case you could take a small pb attempt on second lift then whatever on 3rd.

My main concern would be a pb. We all like to think we could lift at our best, but we dont know till the day and on the platform. Opening on a pb sounds crazy. However if you truly feel your strength is vastly greater now then last meet maybe you can?
I feel comfortable opening with a squat PR of about 625. This is a +25 meet PR, but I've been under it about 20 times these last few months. Still trying to weigh if it's a wise move

Old 06-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Thanks for the feedback.

After thinking long and hard about a lot of this, I do know that 1800 is the minimum goal. I need to try and lock that, then go for home runs. I'm still mulling over the best way, and taking everyone's advice into play.

1800 for me will probably be:

Squat - 650
Bench - 425
Deadlift - 725

I was debating finishing with:

Squat - 700
Bench - 440
Deadlift - 800

...and adjusting those possibly a hair lower based on second attempt feels.

The main question is openers. I see no point is messing around on squats and deadlifts. I could go out and do 600, 400 and 650, but since I know I am stronger part of me doesn't want to.

I think I need to go for big, bigger and biggest. This is my last meet at a superheavy. I can't have any regrets or leave anything out there.

Right now I am leaning:

Squat - 620, 650, up to 700
Bench - 390, 425, 440-450
Deadlift - 720, 750-760, 800

Sorry if it sounds like I am asking for advice and then ignoring some of it. I am listening to everything you guys are saying.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

Man I wish I could be there!! This is gonna be epic!!

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote