Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Deadlifts and Squats at My Meet (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14116)

BendtheBar 06-21-2013 02:56 PM

Deadlifts and Squats at My Meet

My lockouts have really been strengthened this year by using 3" pulls. They've always been strong for me, but right now I feel like if I can get it off the ground I can lock it out. I feel myself accelerating quickly even with heavy chains.

I am not sure how this will translate to the platform, but I do have hopes that 760 is possible. I've pulled so many easy 700s this year. At least 40-50.

The question right now is really how to structure my pulls at the meet. I have been thinking 700-730-760. My main fear is living some on the table.

I have this fear for squats too. I do not want to leave anything out on the platform. I am thinking 625-650-700.

My previous raw squat was 602, and deadlift was 672.5.

I always try to feel things out and adjust lifts based on feel, but this being my last rodeo above 300 I think I am going to go crazy on my third attempts.

Any thoughts? I am trying to decide if I should go more conservative on first or second attempts and leave more for the third attempts. Or if I should just go get a PR on the first attempt, and go much bigger on the second attempt...

Paradox 06-21-2013 03:29 PM

I'm of the mindset that conservative is better, but it depends on if you're trying to build a total or just smash PRs in one or two of the lifts. Conservative helps build the total, but too conservative makes it hard as you'lll have to make big jumps to PR. I know a lot of those on the internet (Brandon Lilly comes to mind) like these massive jumps, but anything more than 40ish lbs on squat seems tough.

You also say it's your last meet at 300+, so I guess who gives a shit if you miss, just gofor broke. That being said, it's all relative an your numbers are a lot bigger than mine. MY vote still goes to conservative though.

LtL 06-21-2013 03:40 PM

At those weights, I think you need to go conservative on openers and make bigger jumps if you want to really max out. Go for broke big man.

Ramrod 06-26-2013 10:11 PM

Go Big or Go Home.....:)

Myself I'm going conservative to build my Total.

IainK 06-27-2013 02:37 AM

Deadlift seems fine. Squat id take a larger jump on second lift than second to 3rd. However maybe in your case you could take a small pb attempt on second lift then whatever on 3rd.

My main concern would be a pb. We all like to think we could lift at our best, but we dont know till the day and on the platform. Opening on a pb sounds crazy. However if you truly feel your strength is vastly greater now then last meet maybe you can?

J_Byrd 06-28-2013 09:38 AM

open light, PR send attempts. Make a decision on 3rd. Your PR 2nds shouldn't gas you out. Now on the dead. Open light, got for broke, unless you have a monster total going. Then I would take a 2nd attempt that would get me to that total.

Who am I kidding, 2nd attempt 700 on both :D

KCStrongmanben 06-30-2013 09:07 AM

I like JBs train of thought

BendtheBar 06-30-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IainK (Post 379524)
Deadlift seems fine. Squat id take a larger jump on second lift than second to 3rd. However maybe in your case you could take a small pb attempt on second lift then whatever on 3rd.

My main concern would be a pb. We all like to think we could lift at our best, but we dont know till the day and on the platform. Opening on a pb sounds crazy. However if you truly feel your strength is vastly greater now then last meet maybe you can?

I feel comfortable opening with a squat PR of about 625. This is a +25 meet PR, but I've been under it about 20 times these last few months. Still trying to weigh if it's a wise move :)

BendtheBar 06-30-2013 12:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

After thinking long and hard about a lot of this, I do know that 1800 is the minimum goal. I need to try and lock that, then go for home runs. I'm still mulling over the best way, and taking everyone's advice into play.

1800 for me will probably be:

Squat - 650
Bench - 425
Deadlift - 725

I was debating finishing with:

Squat - 700
Bench - 440
Deadlift - 800

...and adjusting those possibly a hair lower based on second attempt feels.

The main question is openers. I see no point is messing around on squats and deadlifts. I could go out and do 600, 400 and 650, but since I know I am stronger part of me doesn't want to.

I think I need to go for big, bigger and biggest. This is my last meet at a superheavy. I can't have any regrets or leave anything out there.

Right now I am leaning:

Squat - 620, 650, up to 700
Bench - 390, 425, 440-450
Deadlift - 720, 750-760, 800

Sorry if it sounds like I am asking for advice and then ignoring some of it. I am listening to everything you guys are saying.

moeheep 06-30-2013 12:55 PM

Man I wish I could be there!! This is gonna be epic!!