Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine
Default Direct Back Work

What direct back work do you feel helps you build the most strength, in relation to the deadlift?

I know that my back is lagging and preventing me to move forward with my deadlift, so I just wanted to see what kind of movements everyone else liked to employ to work on their back strength?

Something new that I am trying this cycle are chest supported BB rows from the floor. Of course, I have always been in favor or chins/pullups as well and they will continue to be a staple in my program I believe.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I don't do a lot of deadlifting because of a permanent back injury. But I find that 1 Arm Rows with a variety of weight and reps seem to help my upper back a lot. Some cycles I will do really heavy triples for a ton of sets, while other cycles I will use high reps and lower weight. Just the way I keep it simple.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

And as if it was planned, for another perspective, this just in from EliteFTS. . .

Four Reasons Why Barbell Rows Will Improve Your Deadlift
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
1Strength
Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 9 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Dymatize Elite Whey
1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor

I've found Dumbbell Rows, Deloaded Barbell Rows, Cable Rows and Chest Supported Dumbbell Rows to be very helpful for me.

My YouTube Channel
1Strength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Heavy ass barbell rows
Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

Nice, like that everyone has a similar thought process with their own personal preference!! I am definitely going to have to start incorporating some more rows back into my routine.

Also good catch on the article OR!

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

I believe that one should utilize a pull in the horizontal plane (row) and a pull in the vertical plane (pull ups).

My personal favorites are one arm DB rows and pull ups or rack chins if you can't do pull ups.
I personally stay away from barbell rows because I have an easily fatigued lower back and prefer to keep it fresh for movements like squats and deads.

Also, I believe trap strength is important for the deadlift, so you may want to also do a shrug movement.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

barbell rows some db rows and chins.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
IainK
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25

Training Exp: 20
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

I have found no upper back work has particulary helped my deadlifting. Not that it may in some. However I suspect only in those with some specific/relative weakness.

I generally do some upper back work. More to keep me in shape from the benching.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #10
mr_bigmuscles
Max Brawn
Points: 3,064, Level: 34 Points: 3,064, Level: 34 Points: 3,064, Level: 34
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: about a year
Fav Supp: meat
mr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributor

a shitload of chins and rows seems to be the consensus.

Log
mr_bigmuscles is offline   Reply With Quote