Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
Khamo
New Brawn
Points: 415, Level: 8 Points: 415, Level: 8 Points: 415, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 6 months
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Sqwat
Khamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good posts
Default Deadlift question

So people stress the retraction of the scapula during the deadlift. What are they talking about? at the top am i supposed to retract them? it feels like my back will snap. Or am i supposed to start with a retracted position?

Squat - 315
Bench - 225
Deadlift - 350

GOT A LONG WAY TO GO

To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear. ~Buddha
Khamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

A lot of people talk about scapulas. A lot of people can't deadlift for shit. I just stand up with it.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Kleurplaay
Max Brawn
Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

I can't give you a full answer but I do know that a lot of strong as shiet conventional powerlifters pull with their shoulders rounded foward to make it easier to get to the bar. Obviously that doesn't necessarily mean that everyone should be doing it, just some food for thought.

Brute is also absolutely right that people overthink a lot nowadays.
Kleurplaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
A lot of people talk about scapulas. A lot of people can't deadlift for shit. I just stand up with it.
Beautiful! People like to make simple things seem hard.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

If you do it wrong you will lift less...!

The latest terminology is "packing" or "wrapping" the shoulders...here's an example

T NATION | 4 Weightlifting Myths Destroyed
Old 06-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

To go with what Brute said, do what allows you to lift the most weight. I think retracting the scapula is a way to keep the back flat, but I don't know. I certainly round my upper back when deadlifting. I seem to lift more weight that way than keeping my entire back flat.

To drift away from your question, some recent cues I have been using:
1. Hips back and down
2. Drive my legs into the floor like all hell.
It seems to be working. Oh, and those two cues will happen in less than a second.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:12 AM   #7
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Quote:
I nominate bruteforce for member of the month for that statement.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:39 AM   #8
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
LMAO!
Old 06-18-2013, 03:40 AM   #9
1Strength
Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 9 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Dymatize Elite Whey
1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Troy

Your Guidelines for a Proper Deadlift Setup

1. Stand with your shins about an inch from the bar with about a hip width stance or slightly wider depending on what works best for you.

2. Look down at the barbell and imagine that there is a vertical line coming up through it so that the line of the barbell is part of an imaginary plane. The barbell and this imaginary line is your reference point or benchmark. You will use this to orient your body to. Remember this if for visualization purposes only.

3. After you grab the bar you will bring your shoulders in front of the bar so that the imaginary line intersects your scapula. In other words, the bar is in line with your scapula. Keeping your shoulders forward of the bar in this position, bring your chest up and shoulders back and locked. Scapula retracted.

4. Hips/Butt: Now that your feet are in the right place and your shoulders are in the right place the trick is to get your hips as close to this imaginary LINE as possible while maintaining your shoulder position. You are NOT bringing your hips down toward the bar…you are bringing them forward toward the line coming up through the bar. WITHOUT moving your shoulders back.

All the while the chest must stay OUT and the shoulders back. The lower back must remain in it's tightly set natural arch.

Really, once you hit step three and you are maintaining a good deadlifting position with your lumbar set you are pretty much there. Step 4 is a very subtle adjustment. If you move your hips down the shoulders drift behind the bar. If you move your hips too far up the shoulder sink. So "just right" is in between. Correct, as has been said before, means your butt is below your shoulders but above your knees. This may seem simplistic and smarmy but but since we see people try to deadlift with their butt below their knees in the "deadlift as squat" position or with their butt pretty much level with their shoulders…it needs to be said, apparently.
You don't have to retract them in the way you are thinking. You just have to make sure they are not extended right from the get go with the bar being still on the floor.

My YouTube Channel
1Strength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Supp: Whey Powder
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

Retract your scapula when you squat and bench, NOT when you deadlift. For the latter, your thoracic spine should be neutral.

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote