Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:59 AM   #11
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Different things work for different people. Templates are good for beginners, but once you realize something isn't working for you, you need to do something differently. In my opinion, it is all about knowing your body and how you respond to certain things. Once you start to figure that out, adjust accordingly. It is all a learning process, and a marathon...not a sprint.

Personally, I tried 5/3/1 for about 8 weeks and just didn't like it. I don't doubt that it is a great program, I just found it lacking a certain level of intensity. I'm sure I would make gains on the program if I stuck with it, but if I am not enjoying training then what's the point?
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

What I like about 5/3/1:
I like 5/3/1 for many reasons; It's simple, it's abbreviated, it focuses on major compound lifts, it's adjustable, it's progressive, and it has enough volume at higher percentages.

My biggest issue with 5/3/1:
When you start 5/3/1 you are NOT handling really heavy weight but you are getting in some good reps. As you progress you are handling heavier weights but you are not getting a lot of rep work. For beginners and intermediate lifters, I think the progression to the heavier weights is fantastic but I also think that reps are needed to continue to get bigger and drive more strength gains.

To be fair, Wendler seems to address this issue in his "Beyond" book and has made some good adjustments.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
Paradox
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

If 5/3/1 is taken as a "general fitness" program, where you're adding in some cardio (hill sprints, prowler, etc.), then it's probably a good program. If you're trying to take it as a way to actually become good at powerlifting (or another strength sport) then it's awful compared to other methods. The volume on 5/3/1 is a joke, even with BBB. Without BBB you're essentially getting ONE work set. With BBB you're getting six work sets, but let's be real, 5x10 is not that difficult, nor does it allow for good practice of the lifts (actually, neither does that one other work set).

I'm a huge advocate for working with Prilipen's Chart, and the volume you get by following it will be two-three times higher, at a minimum. Probably even more. Not only will the volume be higher, but the number of lifts will be higher, as will the number of sets, allowing MUCH better practice than 5/3/1.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote