Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member
Default How stupid am I?

Doing a Smolov squat cycle on a calorie deficit is stupid. So I'm gonna do it. My shoulder is still too messed up to put any real effort into my bench (although I'm probably only days from being able to bench again) and my main concern has been my squat anyways, so I'm going to give it a go even though I'm cutting with the apex predator diet (A cyclical keto diet).

I'm now accepting bets. How does everything think I'll do?

A. I'll add 200lb to my squat while cutting into the body of a greek god.
b. I'll only maintain my squat while I cut.
c. I'll die.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Khamo
New Brawn
Points: 415, Level: 8 Points: 415, Level: 8 Points: 415, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 6 months
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Sqwat
Khamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good posts

Ill pray for you. how much of a deficit are you on?

Squat - 315
Bench - 225
Deadlift - 350

GOT A LONG WAY TO GO

To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear. ~Buddha
Khamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

I LOVE THIS ATTITUDE!!---> the Smolov squat cycle on a calorie deficit is stupid so I am going to do it....LOL

On the diet side, I think it depends on how you respond to low or no carbs (Keto), and how you arrange your fats and protien. The macro arrangement is important, as it can make difference on how you may feel when you make the switch to using other sources of fuel other than carbohydrates. Some will say that if you get lethargic, low energy, headaches, its because fats (proteins) are not high enough, this is not always the case with each person. But, it is one of the first places one would look when having these issues.

The other is your training methods (or approach). I do not know if you have ever done high reps (when liver depleted) and on low-carb, prior to re-feed, but it is an aweful experience. Powerful fat-reduction results, in the end...of things, but an aweful experience. My experience, has been that a person with a high calorie trend history entering into a ketogenic diet, tends to do pretty well for a set time, till the liver depletes, water retention drops (for a temporary time), and lower calorie consumption history starts to sand bag, and then some strength and endurance will drop--but this just depends on calorie consumption, and macro arrangement, when this sets in and how long, and when the "switch" occurs things get improved.

I am very familiar with the ketogenic diets, but I am not familiar with Smolov's Squat cycle. What are the sets and rep ranges on this method? Have you tried a keto type diet before soldier? How did you respond to it, and what did you do?

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 06-12-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamo View Post
Ill pray for you. how much of a deficit are you on?
No idea. I'm not measuring anything. It's not that kind of diet, but I'm definitely on a deficit.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post
I LOVE THIS ATTITUDE!!---> the Smolov squat cycle on a calorie deficit is stupid so I am going to do it....LOL

On the diet side, I think it depends on how you respond to low or no carbs (Keto), and how you arrange your fats and protien. The macro arrangement is important, as it can make difference on how you may feel when you make the switch to using other sources of fuel other than carbohydrates. Some will say that if you get lethargic, low energy, headaches, its because fats (proteins) are not high enough, this is not always the case with each person. But, it is one of the first places one would look when having these issues.

The other is your training methods (or approach). I do not know if you have ever done high reps (when liver depleted) and on low-carb, prior to re-feed, but it is an aweful experience. Powerful fat-reduction results, in the end...of things, but an aweful experience. My experience, has been that a person with a high calorie trend history entering into a ketogenic diet, tends to do pretty well for a set time, till the liver depletes, water retention drops (for a temporary time), and lower calorie consumption history starts to sand bag, and then some strength and endurance will drop--but this just depends on calorie consumption, and macro arrangement, when this sets in and how long, and when the "switch" occurs things get improved.

I am very familiar with the ketogenic diets, but I am not familiar with Smolov's Squat cycle. What are the sets and rep ranges on this method? Have you tried a ket type diet before soldier? How did you respond to it, and what did you do?

Don
I did something very similar to what I'm doing now when I did the metabolic diet, but at the time my training was completely different. I was preparing for basic training and carb depletion hit me hard, but I was also doing highly glycogen depleting training.

Smolov is a very intense mesocycle based program that runs 15 weeks and is completely focused on a single lift. It's generally not high rep and the complete opposite of what I was doing last time I tried any form of low-carb dieting.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Doing a Smolov squat cycle on a calorie deficit is stupid. So I'm gonna do it. My shoulder is still too messed up to put any real effort into my bench (although I'm probably only days from being able to bench again) and my main concern has been my squat anyways, so I'm going to give it a go even though I'm cutting with the apex predator diet (A cyclical keto diet).

I'm now accepting bets. How does everything think I'll do?

A. I'll add 200lb to my squat while cutting into the body of a greek god.
b. I'll only maintain my squat while I cut.
c. I'll die.

In the past, I trained in a deficit for 3 years, no breaks doing a 6-day/week bodybuilding cycle, + 2-4 days of running, + full time work on my feet, + JROTC

I gained very little body total weight, got proportionally very strong and was 4% BF.

However, my lifestyle, age and metabolism were all perfectly aligned.

You are going to feel pain and probably gnaw off a bed post in your sleep!

Go for it!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

A A A A A ! Simply based upon the fact that your a total tank, Soldier.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
Bronco
Cool Guy
Brawn
Points: 1,448, Level: 21 Points: 1,448, Level: 21 Points: 1,448, Level: 21
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken
Bronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributor

that's kind of the approach i took when i hurt my knee.
i couldn't squat so i figured i'd do smolov jr. for bench to keep me busy.
all while trying to drop 20 pounds of bodyweight.
it did not go well for me.
good luck.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Doing a Smolov squat cycle on a calorie deficit is stupid. So I'm gonna do it.
Repped for this.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

No one can ever accuse you of not ever taking on a monumental challenge. Anything can be done when your head is in the game. Love the attitude, and Linden is right, your a tank, and your preparing for one battle at a time. Go get it Soldier!
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote