Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member
Default West of Westside (by Dan Green)

West of Westside - Juggernaut Training Systems - Juggernaut Training Systems

Not sure if anyone here has already seen this, but anyway, what are you guys' thoughts?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
IainK
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 20
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

Great article. However I am biased as its pretty much what I have thought for a while.

I do wonder if EFS will produce a cynical article slating him or do they just reserve that for guys in tested feds lol
Old 05-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I'm not much of a Westside, box squat, bands, speed work type of guy.

They produce some strong lifters, but beyond their doors I tend to think it's more of a distraction. But you can really say that about a lot of programs adopted by intermediates.

People tend to get involved with too much voodoo when their overall body strength is still weak.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

In my transition into equipped lifting I've done lots of thinking and researching about what it is about westside that works so well for some. I agree that it's absolutely designed for people who use both kinds of gear. If you aren't equipped and you aren't chemically enhanced than it's not even close to the best way to train, and BOTH are required.

I don't want to commit 100% to equipped lifting. I still want my raw numbers to grow as well, primarily because I feel I'm not advanced enough to make a shift like that. I train in my gear, but I don't do much box squatting or board work. I do use some accommodating resistance, but not too much, and my focus is still the big 3. Raw or equipped, my main lift is still either a squat, a bench press or a deadlift.

I like this guy. I thought I wouldn't when I first saw him, but I stand corrected.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
schultzestrength
New Brawn
Points: 323, Level: 6 Points: 323, Level: 6 Points: 323, Level: 6
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 4+ powerlifting,15+ other
Fav Supp: Food
schultzestrength is a dedicated contributorschultzestrength is a dedicated contributorschultzestrength is a dedicated contributorschultzestrength is a dedicated contributorschultzestrength is a dedicated contributorschultzestrength is a dedicated contributorschultzestrength is a dedicated contributorschultzestrength is a dedicated contributorschultzestrength is a dedicated contributorschultzestrength is a dedicated contributorschultzestrength is a dedicated contributor

The thing a lot of people don't realize is that outside of Westside Barbell, the Westside Method is not nearly as successful. Another thing people might not realize is that in order to be at Westside, you have to be invited. Only the best guys or young guys with a lot of potential are allowed in. Louie doesn't invite the average powerlifter to join Westside, so they are already pretty strong. They are considered the best because they have put up a lot of big totals, but these totals are only in one aspect of powerlifting. There are 2 others that they don't even compete in. What people need to realize is that westside is perfect for westside.

I am a little surprised to see this article from Dan, if it is actually from him. He doesn't seem like that guy to talk about why his way is better than westside. I know this is fueled by Chad Smith because for some reason he has an issue with westside and he's gathering some of the strongest raw people to prove his point against them. Anyway. I don't think Westside is a good choice for most lifters. And a lot of the ones that say they are making great gains on westside are lying. They might be in the gym but on the platform it rarely carries over.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I agree with SS: for me this smacks of the JTS guys looking for something to get angry about and fight against.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Supp: Whey Powder
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

I've been telling people similar stuff for years. Westside is going to benefit equipped lifters much more than raw guys, but there are still plenty of the latter who continue to train in this manner, spinning their wheels.

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

I havent spun my wheels, just saying. And I am now crawling back to my hole.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.

Last edited by gaspers04; 05-30-2013 at 04:29 PM.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
statirasman
New Brawn
Points: 1,601, Level: 23 Points: 1,601, Level: 23 Points: 1,601, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 Year off and on
Fav Supp: Heavy weights.
statirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good posts

I think it is a great article, and I agree with the responses posted so far. As a reletive beginner to lifting pretty much any program will work for a while as long as you are consistant with your training, nutrition, and rest. For the more advanced lifter when gains start to slow you need to focus more on the type of training that fits your goals. For a geared lifter there is no arguing that the westside method at westside will give good results. The programming is tailored and consistant and the atmosphere has to be one where you are not allowed to fail because of the caliber of training partners there. However for a raw lifter I think that there is alot to consider in the science behind the method but you have to go with what works for you and your goals. As said, JTS has some of the strongest raw lifters as westside has some of the strongest geared. Don't allow yourself to get too tied up in politics of who is better as far as JTS vs. Westside... just find what works best for you and be consistant with it untill you need to change things up. Even Louie has stated several times that Westside is ever evolving. When they find something works better for them they change to program. You have to be flexible in your quest for strength and be open to change or you just may get stuck at your current level. Set a goal and go for it! Do whatever it takes to achieve your goal. If you are a geared lifter and all you are looking for is numbers, then Westside may be your best bet only you can decide. If you are raw then you may be wise to look to the strongest raw lifters in the sport today.
statirasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Supp: Whey Powder
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
I havent spun my wheels, just saying. And I am now crawling back to my hole.
Just because it works for some raw guys doesn't mean that it's optimal.

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote